Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Old Jul 21, 2020, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Your analysis is YMMV, there is nothing that you have stated that has any consistency for others. If you are lucky enough to have a store that previously sold you more than one it is nothing more than luck. I have been to over 50 staples locations over the years I would guess and there is no hard and fast "manager's approval." The only thing that is hard and fast is that the system is hard coded to deny any Visa/MC card purchase over $2,000. Anything else is store specific. I have been sold $2,000 in rural areas wihtout batting an eye and at another location I have also been told "one only" and had a manager called over to scrutinize my ID against my Ink for about 30 seconds. YMMV, not skill. Mathematically, I wouldn't bother with 2 or 3 when OD runs the same thing only better for that amount, but again that is YMMV for me and my area as my OD clerks are far more common sensical than Staples.
I'd kill for a more reasonable OD rep. Mine are inflexible on the one-per-person limit and he they made it seem like they were doing me a huge favor my letting me come in and do a second one on the next day. I had a good relationship with the Staples manager and only heard about one/person limits on FT. (Sadly, all the Staples stores near me have closed.)

Totally agree with your analysis (and the one above); like all MS, it's YMMV.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 7:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Calling corporate line for 5 minutes and communicating to a low level corporate employee, and then getting another call back from the main office the next day will do wonders. You want to keep getting 5 cards right(?), don't fight it out at the store with a neanderthal, call corporate and speak to someone who has common sense. Your insecure, power driven store manager couldn't are any less about disappointing you. Bet he/she will care substantially more about getting a ring from the corporate office of a mutli billion dollar company about why they are not honoring corporate PUBLISHED weekly circular even after being shown by a CUSTOMER. Bet they don't get an attitude with corporate.
No need as I did get the5 once they checked the ad online or the ad by the card rack. Ther wasnt a fight, just the reg I should know better blah blah blah
Old Jul 21, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM
For some reason, they've pulled all the $200 mc gc's from northen nj stores. Why even bother having promotions?
Old Jul 21, 2020, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Smooth as silk today, but I dont like it since I prefer getting different amounts so my total isnt always the same times x purchases
Old Jul 22, 2020, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by craz
Smooth as silk today, but I dont like it since I prefer getting different amounts so my total isnt always the same times x purchases
Buy four as oppose to five then? Next visit, maybe get three?

I feel the same way. Trying to find small items by the line to see what to get; mostly stuff I don't want or get better price elsewhere.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by robchow

Thats my reg MO. 7-8-9, but for that I have a route where its not in my area and requires a nice amount of driving but as long as I can get 7 or 8 or 9 per stop its worth it. With this weeks 5 Id rather not go out of my area and going 3-4-5 doesnt make sense

I drew up a plan and hope it sneaks under the radar , time will tell, so far no probs
Old Jul 22, 2020, 2:57 pm

s the answer
I feel the same way. Trying to find small items by the line to see what to get; mostly stuff I don't want or get better price elsewhere.
delete
Old Jul 22, 2020, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by craz
split pymt
Old Jul 22, 2020, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by golfr
For some reason, they've pulled all the $200 mc gc's from northen nj stores. Why even bother having promotions?
A part of me says maybe there we all sold out?

A second part of me (being familiar with the area) says Northern New Jersey has a bad reputation with regards to actual money laundering...Which could be a reason they don't want to sell "high value" giftcards (if you can even call $200 that). Which rather unfortunately makes MS trickier....
Old Jul 22, 2020, 10:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by danhouston
split pymt
Have to admit I never thought of that, I always did it with Simon and Supermkts, for some reason I didnt think it was doable. On the neg is Id hate to arouse the cashier attention that Im up to something not good and get the transaction CXed

However since I need to p/u a couple of gas cards (for when they charge more if using a CC for gas, I should slip thru this time, but will try spilting if they have another promo of '5'
Old Jul 23, 2020, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by CerealCardSpender
A part of me says maybe there we all sold out?

A second part of me (being familiar with the area) says Northern New Jersey has a bad reputation with regards to actual money laundering...Which could be a reason they don't want to sell "high value" giftcards (if you can even call $200 that). Which rather unfortunately makes MS trickier....
I went to 4 different stores that were fully stocked just the day before. I think it's a stretch to think that they were all sold out. There are stores that have tons and tons just hanging on the rack. No one except gamers know the deal is even going on, not even the store employees know. If LP or AP in this region is so worried about fraud, then stop selling ALL GCs. In store only is to get foot traffic so that they can sell us overpriced items. Their coupons are a joke. Most MSers only buy the GCs and leave anyway.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Out Smarted Myself

Wen to a store I havent been to in a long time, (out of my area but I was in that area and no other S nearby). I figured Id grab 6 and hope they dont say Boo, its only 1 more then the limit.Only 2 sealed ones on the rack along with 2 already opened, open the secret compartment and find another 4 scattered around closed).

Get on the checkout line.After a few min wait its my turn. Its a young girl and the 1st thing she does is contact the mgr to see if she can sell them to me and what the limit is. The mgr gets there very quickly and tells her theres a max of 2, I mention to him that the online flyer says its 5 max per day. He says it was never max of 5 and has always been a max of $2K . Got my 6 but with him standing around I didnt want to open the rack up and see if I could find another 4. Did that the last promo and the mgr went Nuts , turns out the Vs were behind the counter and he had no problem selling me 8
Old Jul 24, 2020, 5:16 pm

Thought about the little hurdle. Instead of b*tchin' about it, decided to do something about it. Made a lot of lemonade today and I can take the rest of the year off.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 9:56 am

Liquidating MasterCard Gift Cards

Went to Walmart trying to buy money orders with these $200.00 gift cards. The Walmart software will not allow these as valid tender. Any suggestions on where I can use these to purchase money orders? Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by atc1
Went to Walmart trying to buy money orders with these $200.00 gift cards. The Walmart software will not allow these as valid tender. Any suggestions on where I can use these to purchase money orders? Thanks in advance.
if finger is not quick enough to chg to debit @ WM, grocery store should work with a simple pin # input
daddyo_daddyo likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.