Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Nevermind i read above activation codes should come separately.

Last edited by ChuckMango; Aug 27, 2018 at 3:32 pm
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jatan
If you try to check the balance before activating the cards then the cards will be blocked so avoid that if you can

First you need to activate it so the funds are loaded in 1-2 hrs (activation letter comes separately) — you can call Staples activation support @ 877-233-4633 if you don’t want to wait for activation letter (they’ll look up the cards by Staples order number)

Then you can call the number on back of card and ask if there’s any block on the card — they’ll tell you its “inactive” to prevent fraud since someone tried to login online before activation. Let them know that was you — you bought the card online and didn’t know that the card had a separate activation process so you tried logging in first. They’ll get another dept to reactivate the card while you wait on the phone — they’ll tell you it’ll be available for use in 10 mins but it’ll probably take a few hrs

I unblocked 2 cards yesterday and tried logging into one after 30 mins but it gave an error and now its blocked again — the 2nd card I waited a few hrs to login and it was working fine
Thanks for this explanation, gosh what a clusterfck
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:58 am

Do the codes come before or after the cards? I got my cards today but don't remember seeing any envelope with codes. Then again, I don't sort through my mail that quickly. So of course I tried to register a card online before activating it.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Do the codes come before or after the cards? I got my cards today but don't remember seeing any envelope with codes. Then again, I don't sort through my mail that quickly. So of course I tried to register a card online before activating it.
The activation codes can come before or after the giftcards. If I have the giftcards and don't have the codes I usually call and get them activated.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HH Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by gw14
The activation codes can come before or after the giftcards. If I have the giftcards and don't have the codes I usually call and get them activated.
Do you have the number or is it the number on the card? My activation mailer hasn't come in yet...
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by choklit
Do you have the number or is it the number on the card? My activation mailer hasn't come in yet...
There is a number in the wiki, but I've called the number on the card and that works too.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by choklit
do you have the number or is it the number on the card? My activation mailer hasn't come in yet...
877-233-4633
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: Chase UR, HHonors, SPG/Marriott, Total Rewards
I know CIC gives 5X for Staples/ODOM, but does CIP also provide bonus points for office supply stores? It's not listed... but neither was Plztiq. Any DP on this? I'm wanting to churn CIP.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by gw14
There is a number in the wiki, but I've called the number on the card and that works too.
Much appreciated!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Jatan
877-233-4633
Much appreciated!
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:57 am

The $6.95 fee is waived next week on $200 VGCs, in-store only, one per customer.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
The $6.95 fee is waived next week on $200 VGCs, in-store only, one per customer.
And, i just bought this morning for the WF Go Far Rewards. darn it lol
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:34 am

Would I be able to use the gift card purchases to meet the minimum spend on an Amex Hilton Business card or will Amex disallow that and not count it?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:23 pm

Is there a separate thread for American Express revoking the 10% statement credits from their offer that started in June? I've been hit with over $1,000 in "statement credit reversals" even though I bought the cards at Staples B&M in early June, receiving my statement credits nearly 3 months ago. I've never heard of them going back several months to claw back Amex Offers. It looks like they are claiming the offer should have only been ONE per person, even though it was letting you add it to multiple different cards back then, although they changed their system in August.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by dealhunter32
Is there a separate thread for American Express revoking the 10% statement credits from their offer that started in June? I've been hit with over $1,000 in "statement credit reversals" even though I bought the cards at Staples B&M in early June, receiving my statement credits nearly 3 months ago. I've never heard of them going back several months to claw back Amex Offers. It looks like they are claiming the offer should have only been ONE per person, even though it was letting you add it to multiple different cards back then, although they changed their system in August.
you have multiple users with same SSN?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.