Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2018, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I've seen stores that had a lot of the old yellow Meta cards with 2021 exp date and I understand why they'd gladly get rid of them with this fantastic sale.
This wasnt the case with any of the stores I hit both in the LA and NYC area, dont remember exactly what yr it expired but 2021 100% it wasnt on any of those purchased. And Im talking about well in excess of a dz stores
Old May 15, 2018, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Explorer789
When it comes to MS, it is basically the wild west and you use as much of the gray area as you are comfortable with..
Just checking with the hive mind: If someone is comfortable hiding cards in the store, to ensure an adequate supply for himself/herself, is that OK?
Old May 15, 2018, 11:17 pm

Here is a simple test: would you do it if the manager was watching?
Old May 18, 2018, 2:30 am

Ordered 3 vgc from Staples.com but two envelopes of 3 cards arrived. How could I tell which 3 are correct ones? Has anyone ever encounter this issue?
Old May 18, 2018, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by tuphat
Just checking with the hive mind: If someone is comfortable hiding cards in the store, to ensure an adequate supply for himself/herself, is that OK?
of course it's not, ... is wrong with you people? Moving them around on a GC rack is as far as I would go.
Old May 18, 2018, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Here is a simple test: would you do it if the manager was watching?
No, because they would move it back...
Steve in Olympia likes this.
Old May 19, 2018, 10:15 am

One of my staples no longer accepts cc for gc purchases. Only cash

Hey

Went into a staples near me and they told me that since 4 months ago they have not allowed purchasing of GC using a CC.... Only Cash.

If this will become a thing.. that will be horrible.

Anyone else came across this?
Old May 19, 2018, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by bklgafly
Hey

Went into a staples near me and they told me that since 4 months ago they have not allowed purchasing of GC using a CC.... Only Cash.

If this will become a thing.. that will be horrible.

Anyone else came across this?
one store I came across enforced this rule.
Old May 19, 2018, 10:51 am

Cash only for V/MCGC GC remains YMMV for now. Looks like it is up to each store manager to set the rule because other branches are not hard coded and continue to accept CCs for prepaid GCs. The limit of $2K per customer per day has remained consistent in the stores I've been to.
Old May 19, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: Lots
It’s right there at rule #1 of the newbie sticky.
Old May 20, 2018, 11:55 am
CDO
Suspended

My local staples is hard coded up to $2k not sure if its nationwide.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tuphat
Originally Posted by slack455
of course it's not, ... is wrong with you people? Moving them around on a GC rack is as far as I would go.
Both of these are not even something I would consider. I'm not that desperate. MS game is great and helps afford the travel lifestyle many people dream about, but there are bigger things in life than hoarding GCs just to save a few bucks on fees.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:16 am

for those with Amex Biz cards, check your offers, 10% back!
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
for those with Amex Biz cards, check your offers, 10% back!
It says in the terms of the offer " Not valid for gift cards in bulk purchases" whatever bulk purchases mean.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; American Airlines Platinum; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ninim2200
It says in the terms of the offer " Not valid for gift cards in bulk purchases" whatever bulk purchases mean.
According to DoC, it likely means corporate contracts. I haven't verified it personally, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.