Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:57 am

Amex Simply Cash -- Only 1% Rewards? Please Reply With June 11 or Later Data Points

Sorry for the re-post, but I am now seeing this on three different accounts. In all cases Staples online transactions. Prior to June 11, would eventually display on the new version account activity preview as earning 5% Rewards. Beginning with transactions posting on June 11, displaying as only 1% Rewards. See original post below for more details. Is anyone else seeing this for transactions posting June 11 or later?

Matt

Originally Posted by Matthew53
Amex Simply Cash and Smply Cash Plus. I am well aware of previous false alarms regarding the elimination of 5% at office supply stores, but what I am now seeing is concerning. As recently as a transaction posted on June 6, the new version Amex account activity preview was displaying 5% Rewards for my Staples Online transactions. But beginning with transactions posted on June 11, it is displaying 1% Rewards. Anyone else seeing the same?

Notes:

1. The normal pattern in the new version account activity preview for Staples (and also for Office Max/Depo): for a few days after posting, the display will not have any indication of Rewards, i.e., no Rewards box at all. After a few days, the Rewards box will appear and indicate 5% Rewards with the exact amount earned. In my experience, I have not noticed a period of time when 1% Rewards is indicated, and then later it changes to 5%, but maybe I've missed that and all is well. Has anyone ever noticed such a change?

2. Staples charges are listed as separate charges for each item purchased (Level 3). What's curious is that even my non-VGC charges from June 11 are displaying as only 1% Rewards. Gives me hope.

3. The June 11 and later charges displaying as 1% Rewards are on two different cards -- one Simply Cash, the other Simply Cash Plus. These are online transactions.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by Matthew53
Sorry for the re-post, but I am now seeing this on three different accounts. In all cases Staples online transactions. Prior to June 11, would eventually display on the new version account activity preview as earning 5% Rewards. Beginning with transactions posting on June 11, displaying as only 1% Rewards. See original post below for more details. Is anyone else seeing this for transactions posting June 11 or later?

Matt
Not Simply Cash, but Business Platinum with 10% off amex offer. Didn't get cashback on buying VGCs online at staples.com, but got one when buying closed loop GCs. Tried buying at a physical store, and got cashback. Level 2 data is visible in both cases.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:35 am

My order for GC from staples posted June 27 and it still does not say what the rewards will be. I purchased GC from Omax on July 1 and that shows 5%.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Travelz
My order for GC from staples posted June 27 and it still does not say what the rewards will be. I purchased GC from Omax on July 1 and that shows 5%.
That is normal for Staples. Seems to take 5 - 20 days for the Rewards box to appear. Not to worry. Update on my situation: I have several Staples online orders subsequent to June 11-12 -- all are showing the correct 5% in the Rewards box. Only issue is transactions on June 11 and June 12. They continue to show 1% in the Rewards box. This is on 3 different accounts. so there is some glitch happening on June 11-12. Anybody else experiencing same?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:20 pm

I buy electronic GC from staples quite frequently. Last one was a couple of weeks ago and it posted...

Is this system thing where it won't give you 5x anymore??? that will be terrible.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:04 pm

On June 23rd I purchased 10 seperate orders of 3X$300 visa giftcards with amex cards to maximize 10% amex offer. In each case I got the amex credit after 2-3 days. 7/10 envelopes arrived within 5 days or so and two days later 10/10 activation codes arrived. the 3/10 order that were missing have still not arrived. I called blackhawk or giftcardmall who fulfills the orders and figured out which orders hadn't arrived and escalated the case with them. They told me to call staples. I called staples and the told me that they should still arrive and to wait until the expected shipping date of July 10 and to call back if they still haven't arrived? Is this common with Staples visa orders? Should I be worried? Any advice?

Last edited by voisinator; Jul 5, 2018 at 6:25 pm
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by voisinator
On June 23rd I purchased 10 seperate orders of 3X$300 visa giftcards with amex cards to maximize 10% amex offer.
$9,000 worth of GC for a $900 rebate? Isn't the max $100 back per Amex card, or was your offer different?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by nall
$9,000 worth of GC for a $900 rebate? Isn't the max $100 back per Amex card, or was your offer different?
I had the offer on 10 different authorized user cards and received the rebate on all of them. All delta platinum business cards. Actually have the offer on 10+ SPG business cards as well but wanted to make sure that I could get all of the gift cards and manufacture spending them without issue.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:55 am
CDO
Suspended

I had the offer on 10 different authorized user cards and received the rebate on all of them. All delta platinum business cards. Actually have the offer on 10+ SPG business cards as well but wanted to make sure that I could get all of the gift cards and manufacture spending them without issue.
That is quite impressive
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: UR, Hilton, AA, Delta, SPG/Marriott
Just want to confirm if possible.... Will these fixed rate metas auto-drain when doing split payment on Serve/BB when at WM? I've seen some recent DPs of this working at DG but not WM or WMNM.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by cflchurn
Just want to confirm if possible.... Will these fixed rate metas auto-drain when doing split payment on Serve/BB when at WM? I've seen some recent DPs of this working at DG but not WM or WMNM.
They won't auto-drain at WM or WMNM.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:29 pm

Have you received points for all of them? Amex updated their T&C to potentially exclude giftcards, but no idea if it's enforced.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:32 pm

I received the $93 credit for all of them a few days later. The original amex offer exluded gift cards in bulk which this is not since 10 individual orders or 3 gift cards. hadn't heard of anything about the terms changing to exclude gift cards in general.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:54 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

A dumb question. Any possibility to use Staples GC to buy VGC either online or in store? Probably no.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:57 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by nall
Have you received points for all of them? Amex updated their T&C to potentially exclude giftcards, but no idea if it's enforced.
I received $70 credit day later. But no the last $30.

I also received the credit day later on the Exxon gas. But the credit has stopped posting the last two re-fills.

They should still post, just do not know if we'll have to wait to Nov-2018.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.