Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by perkunas
A) Don't worry you'll get your rebate.

B) It takes like 4 hours from the time of purchase for the promo to get initialized or whatever the computer geeks call it. So if you try to submit the rebate prior to that you may see the weird messages.

C) Also I think there is some sort of IP tracker or whatever the computer geeks call it. If you submit several rebates back-to-back, you'll notice that some of them "are still being determined". As long as you're submitting legit info, it'll work out.
Thanks, I had a feeling it just needs more time.

I have access to 3 addresses so it's legit. I normally buy 3 orders of $400 and register all 3 rebates at once. Never had an issue with that before.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by exoticfusion
Which bank(s) issue the staples visa giftcards? It has been awhile since I've bought some and I don't have one in my city.
Anyone?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by exoticfusion
Anyone?
Metabank.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:10 pm

Thanks thoughtsfromacube.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:54 pm

rebate card is now required activation first with the zipcode verification; not sure how secure that is; if someone else other rebate owner took the mail, isn't the zipcode displayed on the envelope?

Last edited by danhouston; Jun 27, 2017 at 4:11 pm
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
Originally Posted by danhouston
rebate card is now required activation first with the zipcode verification; not sure how secure that is; if someone else other rebate owner took the mail, isn't the zipcode displayed on the envelope?
Activation first = more secure.

If someone is willing to steal your mail then probably bigger fish to fry than worrying about $20 rebates every few months.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:22 am

$15 now though
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:44 am

I don't understand this too, everything you need to activate is on envelope!

I guess its an extra step before you can use it.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
I don't understand this too, everything you need to activate is on envelope!

I guess its an extra step before you can use it.
Parago was having a lot of issues with hacked rebate cards, this was one of the steps they took to help fix the problem. People were receiving rebate cards in the mail that had been used before they even arrived at their doorstep. Now hackers cant use the cards until you activate, so as long as you don't activate until you intend to use them, it is much much safer. Rebate cards getting stolen in the mail are a significantly smaller, and more individual problem.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Activation does seem more secure. I wish we had a way to pause and resume access after activation, for these and other gift card types (VGC, MCGC, stores, etc.)

For these rebate VGCs, Parago, Blackhawk or Staples needs allow activation online. There are too many prompts on the phone system and it takes a minute or longer to activate each card one at a time. Even worse if you're getting paper rebates now that only one coupon applies per ski/transaction.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:08 pm

as staples is just purchased by sycamore, may see an end to the rebate VGCs & 5x UR pts in future
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:58 pm

Not sure if this is the right thread, but did anyone also receive the staples $20 gift card replacement from a MasterCard rebate back in around Apr/May 2017?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
What are the maximum number of Staples $300 cards one has purchased online in one transaction? Also, how many $$ of Staples cards per month is recommended before Chase red flags you? I have so far purchased $7.5K worth of gift cards in the first six months and am thinking about doing $7K per month through December.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
as staples is just purchased by sycamore, may see an end to the rebate VGCs & 5x UR pts in future
I wouldn't be surprised, as Staples already appears to be gutting their rewards program.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by jediwho
What are the maximum number of Staples $300 cards one has purchased online in one transaction? Also, how many $$ of Staples cards per month is recommended before Chase red flags you? I have so far purchased $7.5K worth of gift cards in the first six months and am thinking about doing $7K per month through December.
Online gift card orders are limited to 2,000 - so I get 6 per order. I usually do about 2-3 orders per month - been going for about 4 months - no bad word from Chase at this point.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.