Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Old Feb 9, 2017, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
Only do it if you have one of the following options nearby:
Walmart Neighborhood Market.
Grocery stores that sell MOs.
Super Walmart.
Don't DEs work at regular WM?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by dothemath
Don't DEs work at regular WM?
Nope.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by cdog999
Anyone purchase 300s online with their Amex Simplycash Plus Business card? I just noticed that my Staples.com orders are listed as General Merchandise and Supplies and not Business Services. If you did staples.com did you get the 5%?
I've always gotten 5% with AMEX Simply cards when purchasing GCs at from Staples (in store and online).
Old Feb 10, 2017, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by I can see for miles
I've always gotten 5% with AMEX Simply cards when purchasing GCs at from Staples (in store and online).
Thanks, any idea on how your Staples.com purchases show up online? I'm just worried they changed something on their backend so that they don't code as 5% anymore.

My Staples.com purchases show as
Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Internet Purchase

My Office Depot and Staples in store purchases show as
Category: Business Services - Office Supplies
Old Feb 10, 2017, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by cdog999
Thanks, any idea on how your Staples.com purchases show up online? I'm just worried they changed something on their backend so that they don't code as 5% anymore.

My Staples.com purchases show as
Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Internet Purchase

My Office Depot and Staples in store purchases show as
Category: Business Services - Office Supplies
My Staples.com purchases are categorized as "Merchandise & Supplies - Internet Purchase" too. Nothing to worry about there.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 5:23 pm

Can you use multiple Five Backs to purchase VGC's from Staples.com? How?

Or is that why people go into the stores to buy these, because you can do split tender?

I don't have a staples nearby, so online would be my preference by far.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 5:35 pm

Nope, in stores only.
What's the fee for purchasing DE's, and in what denominations are they available at OD/OM?
Old Feb 10, 2017, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Mancolt
What's the fee for purchasing DE's, and in what denominations are they available at OD/OM?
$4.95 with cards going up to $200 each.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 6:47 pm

$4.95 with cards going up to $200 each.
Thanks, JCD! I'm still trying to figure out my plan for MSing so I'm researching everything. Planning on opening some new cards tomorrow. I'll use these to help with the bonus spend minimums.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 7:26 pm

I tried it his method, ordered 3x300 at staples.com, used one FB as debit, one FB as credit, took 6 days received the 3 cards from order date even though website said take 14 days to receive. Did not check my balances yet, but pretty sure I got my 5% back, not a smart way to make profit considering 3x8.95 fees. Just a test run.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Dealtimetn
I tried it his method, ordered 3x300 at staples.com, used one FB as debit, one FB as credit, took 6 days received the 3 cards from order date even though website said take 14 days to receive. Did not check my balances yet, but pretty sure I got my 5% back, not a smart way to make profit considering 3x8.95 fees. Just a test run.
Were the FB's $500 each? I'm assuming you did it all in one order, but how do you pay with 2 cards online? I know you said 1 debit, 1 credit, but I'm still having a hard time picturing how you'd specify how much to charge to each card.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Mancolt
Were the FB's $500 each? I'm assuming you did it all in one order, but how do you pay with 2 cards online? I know you said 1 debit, 1 credit, but I'm still having a hard time picturing how you'd specify how much to charge to each card.
Yes, one order with 2 FBS, at check out page, input one as debit card 1st, the system will auto drain all 500 from debit card, then remaining balance 427 will be charged to the credit card(another FB card which I registered 1st to be sure).
Old Feb 10, 2017, 9:13 pm

Yes, one order with 2 FBS, at check out page, input one as debit card 1st, the system will auto drain all 500 from debit card, then remaining balance 427 will be charged to the credit card(another FB card which I registered 1st to be sure).
Thanks! That's great to know. This will be much more convenient than going to the store.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 10:06 pm

A great try. Don't know how long Staples.com will either ban 5B card user or kick out the payment method of using prepaid card.

Old Feb 11, 2017, 5:40 am

The second 5B will end up with 95 on it after the 5% is added back to it, so I suppose a Dining Everywhere(4.95) or 5B(6.95) card at Lowes could be loaded with 2 or more of them. And so on and on keeping track of all the cards and amounts.

Not sure I can handle it. If you are banned from gcmall, I can see trying this out. Even giftcard dot com is a easier, but costs a little more.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.