Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Old Jan 24, 2017, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
If you duplicated anything you will only get one rebate for how many times you used anything more than once.
do you know if they tie things back to the rewards account? People have reported that you can use the same credit card for multiple transactions as long as you send the rebate to different people at different addresses, im just not sure about the rewards account

edit: the reward status says validation complete for all of them. does that mean they will send them?

Last edited by co.miller89; Jan 24, 2017 at 8:02 pm
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by jeam3130
do you know if they tie things back to the rewards account? People have reported that you can use the same credit card for multiple transactions as long as you send the rebate to different people at different addresses, im just not sure about the rewards account

edit: the reward status says validation complete for all of them. does that mean they will send them?
In my experience, anything on your rebate submission needs to be unique. The credit card you paid in store with for each rebate is fine, I also use the same, the Ink. I do not have a staples reward #, but if you duplicated a phone number on a rebate submission form (online or printed out) that rebate will be denied IME. If you have a phone # that you used for multiple rebates and the rebate process proceeds, this will be news to me.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: All the programs!
Who bought all the vgcs?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 9:49 am

In my experience, anything on your rebate submission needs to be unique. The credit card you paid in store with for each rebate is fine, I also use the same, the Ink. I do not have a staples reward #, but if you duplicated a phone number on a rebate submission form (online or printed out) that rebate will be denied IME. If you have a phone # that you used for multiple rebates and the rebate process proceeds, this will be news to me.
Yes everything on the rebate forms, including phone number were unique.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 10:58 am

Anyone purchase 300s online with their Amex Simplycash Plus Business card? I just noticed that my Staples.com orders are listed as General Merchandise and Supplies and not Business Services. If you did staples.com did you get the 5%?
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by cdog999
Anyone purchase 300s online with their Amex Simplycash Plus Business card? I just noticed that my Staples.com orders are listed as General Merchandise and Supplies and not Business Services. If you did staples.com did you get the 5%?
Curious if it shows what you purchased?

My Business SPG shows I purchased a VGC
Old Feb 4, 2017, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
Curious if it shows what you purchased?

My Business SPG shows I purchased a VGC
Yes it does show what is purchases. I see a bunch of 300 visa from staples.com and 200 amex from od. That really sucks
Old Feb 4, 2017, 8:43 am

Yes it does show what is purchases. I see a bunch of 300 visa from staples.com and 200 amex from od. That really sucks
yeah, thats why I was hesitant on getting the card due to the level 3 data.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 9:40 am

Got 5% for staples.com orders using SCP. AMEX will also show what GC you purchased in store as well as online. For example, $25 Gap, $50 Gap, $50 ToysRUS, Visa $300, etc

Got the card in Oct, since 5% CB is calendar base, got close to maxing out the 5% CB in 10 weeks.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by gw14
Got 5% for staples.com orders using SCP. AMEX will also show what GC you purchased in store as well as online. For example, $25 Gap, $50 Gap, $50 ToysRUS, Visa $300, etc

Got the card in Oct, since 5% CB is calendar base, got close to maxing out the 5% CB in 10 weeks.
Are you buying the gift cards online through a portal or just directly at staples.com?
Old Feb 5, 2017, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by DrForce
Are you buying the gift cards online through a portal or just directly at staples.com?
Staples.com directly.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 10:39 pm

Is there even any point using Chase portal since you obviously won't earn the additional 2x UR? I need to buy a bunch of retail GCs online for purchases to be made this week, since my local Staples doesn't stock large value cards; any issues with earning the usual 5x with the Ink+ on these?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: Alaska, Shell VC, Wyndham VC, Starwood, RCI, II--I bought it on eBay!
Originally Posted by OliverB
Is there even any point using Chase portal since you obviously won't earn the additional 2x UR? I need to buy a bunch of retail GCs online for purchases to be made this week, since my local Staples doesn't stock large value cards; any issues with earning the usual 5x with the Ink+ on these?
I have never had a problem with my Chase Ink cards. We max out both cards. But honestly, it's such a fragile system we use. We buy the cards online, buy MO's and deposit those to our bank. Having a business is definitely helpful. But anything can happen to our system, and we keep hoping it still all works even five years from now. Chase could get sick and tired of our 5X earnings and cancel our cards. We could get stopped from acquiring MO's at our local grocery store and Wally, and our bank could start limiting our MO deposits. Very fragile.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptimesharetraveler
I have never had a problem with my Chase Ink cards. We max out both cards. But honestly, it's such a fragile system we use. We buy the cards online, buy MO's and deposit those to our bank. Having a business is definitely helpful. But anything can happen to our system, and we keep hoping it still all works even five years from now. Chase could get sick and tired of our 5X earnings and cancel our cards. We could get stopped from acquiring MO's at our local grocery store and Wally, and our bank could start limiting our MO deposits. Very fragile.
That's not the fragile part. The fragile part is that the Ink plus is closed for new business and the new Ink Prefered is offering 3x on OSS. That would lead me to believe that the Ink Plus is on the clock altogether for the 5x.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 5:26 am

That's not the fragile part. The fragile part is that the Ink plus is closed for new business and the new Ink Prefered is offering 3x on OSS. That would lead me to believe that the Ink Plus is on the clock altogether for the 5x.
Ink Preferred is only 1X at OSS

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.