Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ValueAdd82
This is the thread about the Five Back Visa card for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Simon sells $500 5back metabank vgc. Read the Simon thread for more details. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1812413-simon-mall-gift-cards-2017-a.html

Simon- Check balance: https://www.simon.com/giftcard/card_balance.aspx
FB - Check balance: https://www.fivebackgift.com/

Best Participating Stores: See the participating list for more stores
CVS - No longer working
Kmart - No longer working
Staples & Staples.com - No longer working
Lowes - Limited to buying $200 cards - more fees to pay and more to liquidate

CVS exit rumors appear: 1/9/17
CVS removed from program 1/20/17
KMart exit rumors appear: 2/2/17
KMart removed from program 2/7/17
Staples exit rumors appear: 4/26/17
Staples removed from program: 4/30/17
Lowes exit rumors appear: 5/11/17
Print Wikipost

Five Back Visa Card(2017)

Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shitrus
bruh thats 20 trips to a simon mall, and 100 days to liquidate at max.
I'm done - I'm not making any more trips to Simon and when I get the 5% back on my outstanding cards I'm going to pat myself on the back and move on.

For me the bottleneck is CVS. Even with my SO helping the real bottleneck is the $2k per day limit they enforce.

Wonder if there are gift card smurfs?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Same thing happens again.

The SAME CVS store where 4 cards were used 2 days ago, still have not seen the rebates after the requisite time has passed. 8 cards used late afternoon yesterday at different stores all saw the rebates this morning.

So at least in my experiences on non posting, it is specifically linked to a particular store because it never has automatic posting for cards used there.

Therefore a call again is in order. And I would rethink about whether I want to use that store again even though it is just across street from the mall and usually when the right people are there, it is a friendly store. But having to call to make sure the rebate is a major draw back.

Originally Posted by Happy
I strongly believe it is locations, even stores specific.

There are enough people have not seen their rebates after waiting 7 to 10 days based on DPs and in other sites you may not even know exist.

Read my post on the CVS thread about a specific store twice in a row the rebates are no show when cards bought after that, and less than 20 hours after purchases, all saw the rebates.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by tbradnc
I'm done - I'm not making any more trips to Simon and when I get the 5% back on my outstanding cards I'm going to pat myself on the back and move on.

For me the bottleneck is CVS. Even with my SO helping the real bottleneck is the $2k per day limit they enforce.

Wonder if there are gift card smurfs?
taskrabbit.com
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by gnomey
taskrabbit.com
I love the idea, but since they don't offer half hour pricing it's too expensive.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Same thing happens again.

The SAME CVS store where 4 cards were used 2 days ago, still have not seen the rebates after the requisite time has passed. 8 cards used late afternoon yesterday at different stores all saw the rebates this morning.

So at least in my experiences on non posting, it is specifically linked to a particular store because it never has automatic posting for cards used there.

Therefore a call again is in order. And I would rethink about whether I want to use that store again even though it is just across street from the mall and usually when the right people are there, it is a friendly store. But having to call to make sure the rebate is a major draw back.
makes sense.

I've used the same CVS and haven't called yet.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by joeaseer
You'll have to MS 200k to make that 12k at 6%, good luck. I'm aiming to make 1.2k over the next 6 months, buying a modest 4k a month with simon.
Originally Posted by Chelski
It's not that difficult. And some have already achieved that.
I don't think the goal was to PAY FOR tuition, but rather pay tuition with Debit / MOs.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:00 pm

Have used at kmart and it works best. Now the problem is the limitation of 500 $ and no split payment. Now i have to face the risk of multiple 498.5 bill payments to my credit card
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:21 pm

I prefer KM for liquidation because it takes off one step making it more profitable. The cashier allowed six MOs done in separate transactions. I had 'trained special helpers' to help me drain several 5Bs. Only drawback is lower face value MOs than what I'm used to but it's a minor issue. I'm just glad the one I found took DC as payment for MO. The CBs also posted 48 hrs after purchase.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I prefer KM for liquidation because it takes off one step making it more profitable. The cashier allowed six MOs done in separate transactions. I had 'trained special helpers' to help me drain several 5Bs. Only drawback is lower face value MOs than what I'm used to but it's a minor issue. I'm just glad the one I found took DC as payment for MO. The CBs also posted 48 hrs after purchase.
My KM was great until they posted they were closing the store. The next day after the news closing they pulled the WU MO machine and all 3rd party GC.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by macrophage
I don't think the goal was to PAY FOR tuition, but rather pay tuition with Debit / MOs.
You read it as I meant it and wrote it!
Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Well what do you know... Sometime between 2:00 PM and 4:00 PM EST 12 of my outstanding 20 cards were each credited with $25 leaving me with 8 that have not been credited. The 8 I'm still waiting on are the last 8 that were converted to Vanillas.

All were ran as debit since I have never located a CVS in our area that'll take a credit card for a gift card.

I did not call and received the money as I suspected I eventually would - although I had made the decision to make the call when I had the time and mental energy to deal with it.

If you've been waiting check your cards - maybe they did another batch.

Example 1: http://imgur.com/a/P3MmI
Example 2: http://imgur.com/a/gSFye

Last edited by tbradnc; Jan 4, 2017 at 2:47 pm
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
I also have been wondering if DEBIT (vs. Credit) leads to more problems?

I have 3 cards so far that have not received rebates correctly. Missing rebates dates 12/24, 12/26, and 12/28. So it's not just one glitchy day.

Procedure for filing a ticket:
1) Call the number
2) Punch in you card digits, yada yada
3) Hit 2 for file dispute
4) CSR will come on the line, ask for number starting 603 from back lower right
corner of card. If you have more than one card, file the additional 603 numbers from
them into the same incident.

I prefer to run them as debit because that does NOT trigger the register to prompt the cashier to look at the last 4 on the card.

Last edited by ElPresidente; Jan 4, 2017 at 3:29 pm
Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:20 pm

Interesting DP that seems to go contrary to my expectations. I used a batch of 4 FB cards at a CVS yesterday (i.e.<48hrs) -- one in a credit mode, the rest in debit. Now 3 cards already have a rebate, and one does not.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by ElPresidente

4) CSR will come on the line, ask for number starting 603 from back lower right
corner of card. If you have more than one card, file the additional 603 numbers from
them into the same incident.
None of my FBs have a number in the back lower right corner! I called and filed a case for two of my cards by submitting the 16 digit card number.

The CSR said that it is indeed the merchant who refunds the 5%, so some stores (i.e. CVSs) may not be doing it correctly.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Interesting DP that seems to go contrary to my expectations. I used a batch of 4 FB cards at a CVS yesterday (i.e.<48hrs) -- one in a credit mode, the rest in debit. Now 3 cards already have a rebate, and one does not.
Another DP here. Yesterday unloaded 2 fivebacks same time at same store. One as debit the 2nd as credit - now 1 has the 25 bucks posted and the other doesn't. Unfortunately I don't have the receipts to check which one got the CB quickly.

In the past, all my batches of 2 or 4 have posted at the same time although I've always stuck with either credit or debit for all cards in a batch.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.