Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2017-onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: vagrants
This is a new thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Moneygram does not allow mobile app MO deposit regardless of whether or not the bank allows it. However, this policy doesn't seem to be enforced. You can still deposit via ATM or in person.

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone

Allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • BB&T. $1,000 per day, $3,000 per month. WU works fine. Doesn't seem to take MoneyGram.
  • Charles Schwab, depending on account up to 10k/day (While they allow MOs, their app may not be able to read all MOs. MG only work with dark printouts.)
  • Citadel FCU: normally works great with WU, but only do one deposit, small amount first time to test. Increase deposit amount slowly, and do not exceed 2K daily or they may call you and ask what you are doing, or freeze account. Very fraud-conscious at this CU. MO funds avail. within 24 hrs. Apparent $10K/mo limit.
  • Citibank (500 first 6 months, 1500 thereafter) Citibank does not allow MoneyGram mobile deposits and most ATMs reject the MO.(Ref)
  • Clearview FCU
  • DCU - works, reports of shutdown for MS specific behavior (depositing Money Orders) start in March 2017 (Ref, Ref, Ref posts 99 and onward)
    clears immediately (Ref). Very finicky that the MO be filled out completely and the back is endorsed "for deposit only DCU".
  • Everbank ($50K per day total, no check bigger than $50K) (but see report of shutdown
    Ref)
  • NorthePointe bank. 10 day hold per new accounts <30 days old.
  • Penfed. $5K per day limit. WU works fine. A portion of deposit may be held back for a few days. Doesn't seem to take MG (amount entered doesn't match amount detected error message).
  • Simple* (March 2014: People now receiving emails asking source and purpose of MO deposits) (Ref)
    15 photo deposit per month and $3000 per deposit (first 5 are limited to $2000). Robust MO reading (Ref)
  • SunTrust Only seems to accept WU, posts next day if in before 9pm.
  • United Bank
  • UFB Direct
    prefers MoneyGram MOs; WU MOs work fine also. Will Shut down. (Ref)
  • USAA (Ref)
    May be limited to $1k/day available immediately (Ref), with remainder held for 1 week. User experience: $5k/day. One person reported shutdown after a few months, doing less than 5K mo in MO deposits.(Ref)
  • Wells Fargo
    $2500/day $5000/mo ($1000/day $3000/30days for new accounts < 180 days) (Ref)
    user experience: multiple <=$500 (Ref); WU MO (Ref)

Do not allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Ally
  • Amalgamated Bank (cannot deposit MOs via mobile app)
  • Aspiration
  • Bank of America
    Not reliable MO reading (Ref)
    Effective 2/23 BofA no longer accepts mobile deposits of MOs or TCs. (Ref)
  • Bank of the West
  • Barclays. The terms state MOs are not allowed. MG worked twice but not again!
  • Capital One 360 (won't accept MO via mail in deposit either)
  • Chase
  • Discover Checking* (NUMEROUS REPORTS MONEY ORDERS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED); user experience: <2k (Ref); 2 days to post (Ref); terms do not explicitly state a limit (Ref)
  • Eastern Bank. $2500 per day, $7500 per month. Update 3/22/16: Per chat, Eastern no longer accepts MO over Mobile Deposit
  • Fidelity Investments - no MO's accepted at all
  • Fiserv-based credit unions
  • Fulton Bank
  • Huntington Bank
  • LMCU Will shut down MO deposits for high volume.
  • Navy Federal Credit Union
  • PNC (Ref)
  • Radius Bank: Mobile deposits no longer allowed
  • Sallie Mae (actually, does not accept money order deposits at all)
  • Santander: MG and WU are a no go
  • TD Ameritrade: doesn't take MO period. Not by app, mail, or in person.
  • TIAA-Direct (3 checks per business day, $10K per day) No longer viable after calls by Candy in Sep 2014.
  • Vanguard - No MO's accepted at all

Allowed Via ATM:
  • BoA - may be deposited at ATM (Ref)
    (Ref)
  • Bank of Oklahoma (BOK)
  • Cambridge Savings Bank (Boston MA area) - accepts MoneyGram at ATM, haven't tested others yet, fund post in 1-2 business days, automatic detection doesn't usually work (have to edit the check amounts) (ref)
  • Capital One Bank/360 - automatic amount detection for Western Union, posts within 1-3 days; Auto detects MoneyGram if the ink is dark enough, available next 1-3 days (Mar 17 Ref); USPS accepted, but not auto detected, available 1-3 days (Mar 17 Ref).
  • Chase - about four days to clear (Ref) (Ref). Cleared next day.
  • Citi
    Haven't been able to successfully deposit Western Union but MoneyGram usually works. No longer works, have to deposit with teller.
  • Citizens: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; if read incorrectly or not at all you can manually edit amount
  • Huntington - Since the ATM upgrade, WU MO gets rejected. Needs to be deposited with teller.
  • KeyBank: Will accept Western Union money orders. Refuses to accept MoneyGram (from WM) money orders. Recent 2016 reports of problems and risk of shutdown if
  • M&T Bank -- can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • PNC Bank: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; told by teller that ATMs have no problems accepting MO deposits
  • Santander - ATM accepts MoneyGram, often need to edit the amount. Reports of locked funds, YMMV. (ref)
  • TD Bank
  • USAA
  • US Bank, can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • Webster Bank - accepts MoneyGram, need to enter amount manually, funds available next day (Ref), same with USPS Money Orders (Ref) and Western Union
  • Wells Fargo accepts MoneyGram
  • going over even just a few thousand a month.
Print Wikipost

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2017-onward)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2020, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL DM
I have a MG MO that I signed and on the front and back with the "...only for WF mobile deposit" and I keep getting an error that my MO doesn't match the dollar amount that I've suggested on the app. There isn't a single WF branch around me... Am I screwed until I visit a branch or ATM?
Old Feb 22, 2020, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by anonymous0414
I've deposited WU through WF app no problem, but not MG, unable to recognize- haven 't tried ATM yet though.
ATM deposit WU/MG on WF no issues at all. Remember to write down the recipient
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by jeam0202
Anyone have luck with SoFi money?
Success with trial WU MO, after a 3 day hold
Old Mar 7, 2020, 8:52 am

Penfed no longer accepting WE money orders.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:06 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by carlitos
Have been doing it for the last 4 years and up until now, Neither Amex, Barclaycard, Citi or Chase has ever closed one of my credit cards. I actually end up closing them first as I keep churning and churning CC.

On contraire, I would never and have never deposited a MO into one of my accounts. Of course, I have never had a checking or savings account closed either.
I was paying Citi CCs with MO for a few years, but around half a year ago I've got a call from Citi asking me why I'm paying with MOs, and why are they all the same amount each time. I told them that I sold something, and the customer paid me with those MOs. So I stopped paying with MOs. No shutdown yet. Was approved for a few new CCs since then.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
I just opened a new account in a local CU, and deposited $5k of MOs. What's the best strategy to liquidate? Transfer to another bank (Chase, Citi, etc)? Push or pull? Pay the bills using CU's bill pay feature? Pay the bills with pull from CC?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:41 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
I like to pay all my CC bills from the same "hub" Bank Account, so I deposit MOs to one of my "spoke" accounts and transfer it to my main "hub" account. You can push or pull from the spoke account, all depends on the limits of your bank.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:12 pm

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Originally Posted by hi55us
I like to pay all my CC bills from the same "hub" Bank Account, so I deposit MOs to one of my "spoke" accounts and transfer it to my main "hub" account. You can push or pull from the spoke account, all depends on the limits of your bank.
Is this better in your experience? I feel like from the hub's perspective, large transfers would be just as risky as large MO deposits, but maybe not.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by financialhippie
Is this better in your experience? I feel like from the hub's perspective, large transfers would be just as risky as large MO deposits, but maybe not.
Not as risky since the accounts need to have a lot of verification before linking (test deposits, names matching ect...).
financialhippie likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 9:22 am

Anyone else having mobile deposit issues with Penfed App? I keep getting an unspecified error with WU money order deposits. Are they having issues?

EDIT: Mobile deposits working fine again as of 3/28

Last edited by Str8shooter; Mar 29, 2020 at 1:39 pm Reason: Status update
Old Mar 25, 2020, 6:49 am

Does anyone know if the WF app is a greater or similar risk of shut down than the ATM? I ask because I've been using the ATM but recently realized that my mobile deposit limits in the app are much higher than the numbers reported in the Wiki. I don't actually live near an ATM, so my deposits at ATMs are sporadic. I'm wondering if the same sporadic 5-figure deposits via app would be more risky or about the same risk if anyone has a handle on that?
Old Mar 25, 2020, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Parachute07
Does anyone know if the WF app is a greater or similar risk of shut down than the ATM? I ask because I've been using the ATM but recently realized that my mobile deposit limits in the app are much higher than the numbers reported in the Wiki. I don't actually live near an ATM, so my deposits at ATMs are sporadic. I'm wondering if the same sporadic 5-figure deposits via app would be more risky or about the same risk if anyone has a handle on that?
I've kept my $5k limit maxed out and never had any issues. Sometimes I'll deposit $20k/month in atms, while other months I'll do 0. They're probably equal risk, as someone has to verify the deposits regardless of method. As of now though, people have very rarely had any issues with WF. Fingers crossed that it stays like that indefinitely!

I've also seen a few DPs of WF raising the mobile deposit limit lately. Maybe due to the Covid-19 shutdowns to encourage mobile use? Just checked and my mobile limit has increased. Thanks!
Old Jun 2, 2020, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by mdeck
Success with trial WU MO, after a 3 day hold
SoFi Money
just tried with a MG MO. New rules started this week for check deposits, supposed to clear in 1 day.

After seeing this, I was worried it wont go (
). But glad to see you had luck with WU MO. Might be a new thing to add to the wikki with our 2 DPs. Ill update everyone when it clears.

Last edited by LUVs_2_Fly; Jun 2, 2020 at 2:26 pm
Old Jun 4, 2020, 8:08 am

Update on SoFi Money.
MG Deposit rejected. I got a nice email saying they dont accept MOs. not the same experience mdeck had.

"We can’t accept money orders, credit card checks, large checks made out to multiple people, or checks made out to someone other than the account holder."

On the bright side. Went through with mobile deposit on Ascend Federal Credit Union mobile app.
Although got rejected at first. They are serious about writing 'for mobile deposit' on the back.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 10:00 am

Data point here of U.S. Bank accepting Western Union MO on the mobile app. At first they rejected it, saying the check needs to have an address, so I wrote in a random address on that line in the MO and resubmitted it, got an email that it was accepted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.