Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2017-2019)

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2017-2019)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 19, 19, 8:08 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Middle_Seat
Wiki Link
This is a new thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.



Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone

Allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • BB&T. $1,000 per day, $3,000 per month. WU works fine. Doesn't seem to take MoneyGram.
  • Charles Schwab, depending on account up to 10k/day (While they allow MOs, their app may not be able to read all MOs. MG only work with dark printouts.)
  • Citadel FCU: normally works great with WU, but only do one deposit, small amount first time to test. Increase deposit amount slowly, and do not exceed 2K daily or they may call you and ask what you are doing, or freeze account. Very fraud-conscious at this CU. MO funds avail. within 24 hrs. Apparent $10K/mo limit.
  • Citibank (500 first 6 months, 1500 thereafter) Citibank does not allow MoneyGram mobile deposits and most ATMs reject the MO.(Ref)
  • Clearview FCU
  • DCU - works, reports of shutdown for MS specific behavior (depositing Money Orders) start in March 2017 (Ref, Ref, Ref posts 99 and onward)
    clears immediately (Ref). Very finicky that the MO be filled out completely and the back is endorsed "for deposit only DCU".
  • Everbank ($50K per day total, no check bigger than $50K) (but see report of shutdown
    Ref)
  • NorthePointe bank. 10 day hold per new accounts <30 days old.
  • Penfed. $5K per day limit. WU works fine. A portion of deposit may be held back for a few days. Doesn't seem to take MG (amount entered doesn't match amount detected error message).
  • Simple* (March 2014: People now receiving emails asking source and purpose of MO deposits) (Ref)
    15 photo deposit per month and $3000 per deposit (first 5 are limited to $2000). Robust MO reading (Ref)
  • SunTrust Only seems to accept WU, posts next day if in before 9pm.
  • United Bank
  • UFB Direct
    prefers MoneyGram MOs; WU MOs work fine also. Will Shut down. (Ref)
  • USAA (Ref)
    May be limited to $1k/day available immediately (Ref), with remainder held for 1 week. User experience: $5k/day. One person reported shutdown after a few months, doing less than 5K mo in MO deposits.(Ref)
  • Wells Fargo
    $2500/day $5000/mo ($1000/day $3000/30days for new accounts < 180 days) (Ref)
    user experience: multiple <=$500 (Ref); WU MO (Ref)

Do not allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Ally
  • Amalgamated Bank (cannot deposit MOs via mobile app)
  • Aspiration
  • Bank of America
    Not reliable MO reading (Ref)
    Effective 2/23 BofA no longer accepts mobile deposits of MOs or TCs. (Ref)
  • Bank of the West
  • Barclays. The terms state MOs are not allowed. MG worked twice but not again!
  • Capital One 360 (won't accept MO via mail in deposit either)
  • Chase
  • Discover Checking* (NUMEROUS REPORTS MONEY ORDERS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED); user experience: <2k (Ref); 2 days to post (Ref); terms do not explicitly state a limit (Ref)
  • Eastern Bank. $2500 per day, $7500 per month. Update 3/22/16: Per chat, Eastern no longer accepts MO over Mobile Deposit
  • Fidelity Investments - no MO's accepted at all
  • Fiserv-based credit unions
  • Fulton Bank
  • LMCU Will shut down MO deposits for high volume.
  • Navy Federal Credit Union
  • PNC (Ref)
  • Radius Bank: Mobile deposits no longer allowed
  • Sallie Mae (actually, does not accept money order deposits at all)
  • Santander: MG and WU are a no go
  • TIAA-Direct (3 checks per business day, $10K per day) No longer viable after calls by Candy in Sep 2014.
  • Vanguard - No MO's accepted at all

Allowed Via ATM:
  • BoA - may be deposited at ATM (Ref)
    (Ref)
  • Bank of Oklahoma (BOK)
  • Cambridge Savings Bank (Boston MA area) - accepts MoneyGram at ATM, haven't tested others yet, fund post in 1-2 business days, automatic detection doesn't usually work (have to edit the check amounts) (ref)
  • Capital One Bank/360 - automatic amount detection for Western Union, posts within 1-3 days; Auto detects MoneyGram if the ink is dark enough, available next 1-3 days (Mar 17 Ref); USPS accepted, but not auto detected, available 1-3 days (Mar 17 Ref).
  • Chase - about four days to clear (Ref) (Ref)
  • Citi
    Haven't been able to successfully deposit Western Union but MoneyGram usually works. No longer works, have to deposit with teller.
  • Citizens: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; if read incorrectly or not at all you can manually edit amount
  • Huntington
  • KeyBank: Will accept Western Union money orders. Refuses to accept MoneyGram (from WM) money orders. Recent 2016 reports of problems and risk of shutdown if
  • M&T Bank -- can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • PNC Bank: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; told by teller that ATMs have no problems accepting MO deposits
  • TD Bank
  • USAA
  • US Bank, can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • Webster Bank - accepts MoneyGram, need to enter amount manually, funds available next day (Ref), same with USPS Money Orders (Ref) and Western Union
  • Wells Fargo accepts MoneyGram
  • going over even just a few thousand a month.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 7, 17, 8:43 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 45
Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2017-2019)

Does a WF checking account restrict the amount of MO deposits monthly for new accounts via ATM or are the limits just for mobile deposits as stated in the Wiki
ctdohert2 is offline  
Old Jan 8, 17, 10:18 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SJC/SFO
Programs: UR, TYP, MR, AA, WN, BA, AS, Priceline, Radisson, Hyatt, IHG, Wyndham, Hilton
Posts: 1,243
I have around $10k in MO (PO and MG). Can I just pay CC bill at a branch with them? Citi, Chase. Or send them by mail to Amex, Barclays? Is it legit?
Is depositing to Penfed savings safe to do? I have mortgage and CC with them.
yugi is online now  
Old Jan 9, 17, 5:02 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: S.E. Pennsylvania
Programs: SPG, SW Air, AA, all of'em!
Posts: 216
Originally Posted by yugi View Post
I have around $10k in MO (PO and MG). Can I just pay CC bill at a branch with them? Citi, Chase. Or send them by mail to Amex, Barclays? Is it legit?
Is depositing to Penfed savings safe to do? I have mortgage and CC with them.
I can not comment on the first banks, but PenFed will be fine with the MO deposits, up to 5K daily, I think. WU MO will work via their mobile app and the funds will be available right away. MG may have to be mailed / dep in person.
fletchbo is offline  
Old Jan 9, 17, 9:32 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,167
Originally Posted by yugi View Post
I have around $10k in MO (PO and MG). Can I just pay CC bill at a branch with them? Citi, Chase. Or send them by mail to Amex, Barclays? Is it legit?
Is depositing to Penfed savings safe to do? I have mortgage and CC with them.
That's a good way to get all your Chase accounts closed.
Superorb is offline  
Old Jan 9, 17, 9:33 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: BA
Posts: 738
Should add Serve, no?

https://secure.serve.com/Funds/AddFu...y101-addchecks

Money in Days Funds Available: In 10 days* Minimum Check Amount: $10.00 Fee: No Fee
No fee for all accepted check types, including payroll checks, government checks, personal checks, business checks, insurance checks, attorney's checks, cashier's checks, money orders, rebate checks, American Express Travelers Cheques, and refund anticipation checks.
*If your check is returned unpaid within the 10 day period, your account will not be funded.
They have an instant deposit option, but there's a 1%-5% fee.
wiivile is offline  
Old Jan 9, 17, 10:51 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The World!!!
Programs: Some of them not all ...
Posts: 1,213
Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
That's a good way to get all your Chase accounts closed.
Have been doing it for the last 4 years and up until now, Neither Amex, Barclaycard, Citi or Chase has ever closed one of my credit cards. I actually end up closing them first as I keep churning and churning CC.

On contraire, I would never and have never deposited a MO into one of my accounts. Of course, I have never had a checking or savings account closed either.
carlitos is online now  
Old Jan 9, 17, 11:33 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,167
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Have been doing it for the last 4 years and up until now, Neither Amex, Barclaycard, Citi or Chase has ever closed one of my credit cards. I actually end up closing them first as I keep churning and churning CC.

On contraire, I would never and have never deposited a MO into one of my accounts. Of course, I have never had a checking or savings account closed either.
I have seen many reports of people having their Chase accounts closed when using MO to pay their CC bills. Not a risk I'm willing to take.
Superorb is offline  
Old Jan 9, 17, 1:53 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The World!!!
Programs: Some of them not all ...
Posts: 1,213
Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
I have seen many reports of people having their Chase accounts closed when using MO to pay their CC bills. Not a risk I'm willing to take.
Well, to each their own. So then, OP can pay all their CCs with MOs, and just make sure he does not bank with Citi, Chase or Barclays Savings Accts. That way, he has no problem using MO and paying his/her cards with MO Checks

But well, MS and Churning is already a risk all of us are taking, as technically the banks will never like people doing it, even though it is legal and might even be consider a loophole in the American ACH and credit, debit and prepaid card payment system of the US, not available anywhere else in the World. Ohh, and Chase in places like Florida will never allow you to pay a credit card with cash without producing a valid Driver's License as form of ID, while paying your CCs at the same bank with a MO does not require to show any type of ID.

Again, everyone plays this game/hobby the way they think is more convenient to them, but I can confirm paying Chase CCs with MOs at branch is NOT a sure way of Chase closing those same CCs. As all, just YMMV
carlitos is online now  
Old Jan 9, 17, 2:50 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,167
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Well, to each their own. So then, OP can pay all their CCs with MOs, and just make sure he does not bank with Citi, Chase or Barclays Savings Accts. That way, he has no problem using MO and paying his/her cards with MO Checks

But well, MS and Churning is already a risk all of us are taking, as technically the banks will never like people doing it, even though it is legal and might even be consider a loophole in the American ACH and credit, debit and prepaid card payment system of the US, not available anywhere else in the World. Ohh, and Chase in places like Florida will never allow you to pay a credit card with cash without producing a valid Driver's License as form of ID, while paying your CCs at the same bank with a MO does not require to show any type of ID.

Again, everyone plays this game/hobby the way they think is more convenient to them, but I can confirm paying Chase CCs with MOs at branch is NOT a sure way of Chase closing those same CCs. As all, just YMMV
I think what does it for Chase is depositing the MOs into a Chase checking account and then paying off the CCs that way. Definitely a difference.
Superorb is offline  
Old Jan 9, 17, 6:01 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: SF
Programs: Elite status at local McDonalds, Carwash, and Post Office
Posts: 51
Originally Posted by ctdohert2 View Post
Does a WF checking account restrict the amount of MO deposits monthly for new accounts via ATM or are the limits just for mobile deposits as stated in the Wiki
I'm not sure what the amount is for personal accounts, but I have a business account that lets me do $5k a day or $10k a month through mobile banking. It's much more than that if I just go deposit it in the atm half a mile down the road.
CJS415 is offline  
Old Jan 9, 17, 7:01 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: California
Posts: 244
Originally Posted by CJS415 View Post
I'm not sure what the amount is for personal accounts, but I have a business account that lets me do $5k a day or $10k a month through mobile banking. It's much more than that if I just go deposit it in the atm half a mile down the road.
For personal accounts, the limits at WF for mobile deposits are lower (as described in the wiki). But he's asking about ATM limits for new accounts; that one I'm not sure about.
sbft77 is offline  
Old Jan 10, 17, 5:25 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: EWN/OAJ/RDU/ILM (Formerly BTV)
Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
Posts: 353
I have several WU MOs with very faded ink that I would like to mobile deposit, but I'm leery of tracing over everything with a pencil.

Does the trick of putting a small piece of paper with the dollar-amount printed from a computer (just the number [$50], not the text [fifty dollars and zero cents]) work for mobile deposit in this case? I know some use it as a workaround for the MG MOs but I haven't heard of anyone doing this for the faded WUs.

Last edited by perkunas; Jan 10, 17 at 5:31 am
perkunas is offline  
Old Jan 10, 17, 4:02 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 632
just a friendly reminder to keep a hold of those money orders after you've deposited them. alliant is refusing to pay for a deposit because western union is refusing to pay them. their reason? the money order was supposedly "altered". i can't wait to deal with this .........
RamboAroundTheWorld is offline  
Old Jan 10, 17, 5:05 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,167
Originally Posted by RamboAroundTheWorld View Post
just a friendly reminder to keep a hold of those money orders after you've deposited them. alliant is refusing to pay for a deposit because western union is refusing to pay them. their reason? the money order was supposedly "altered". i can't wait to deal with this .........
I keep MOs/receipts/etc for a few months to make sure things are good to go. Did you tape an amount so the app could read it?
Superorb is offline  
Old Jan 10, 17, 5:07 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 632
Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
I keep MOs/receipts/etc for a few months to make sure things are good to go. Did you tape an amount so the app could read it?
the app read it fine. The federal reserve returned it saying it was "altered".
RamboAroundTheWorld is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread