Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2017-onward)

Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: vagrants
This is a new thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Moneygram does not allow mobile app MO deposit regardless of whether or not the bank allows it. However, this policy doesn't seem to be enforced. You can still deposit via ATM or in person.

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone

Allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • BB&T. $1,000 per day, $3,000 per month. WU works fine. Doesn't seem to take MoneyGram.
  • Charles Schwab, depending on account up to 10k/day (While they allow MOs, their app may not be able to read all MOs. MG only work with dark printouts.)
  • Citadel FCU: normally works great with WU, but only do one deposit, small amount first time to test. Increase deposit amount slowly, and do not exceed 2K daily or they may call you and ask what you are doing, or freeze account. Very fraud-conscious at this CU. MO funds avail. within 24 hrs. Apparent $10K/mo limit.
  • Citibank (500 first 6 months, 1500 thereafter) Citibank does not allow MoneyGram mobile deposits and most ATMs reject the MO.(Ref)
  • Clearview FCU
  • DCU - works, reports of shutdown for MS specific behavior (depositing Money Orders) start in March 2017 (Ref, Ref, Ref posts 99 and onward)
    clears immediately (Ref). Very finicky that the MO be filled out completely and the back is endorsed "for deposit only DCU".
  • Everbank ($50K per day total, no check bigger than $50K) (but see report of shutdown
    Ref)
  • NorthePointe bank. 10 day hold per new accounts <30 days old.
  • Penfed. $5K per day limit. WU works fine. A portion of deposit may be held back for a few days. Doesn't seem to take MG (amount entered doesn't match amount detected error message).
  • Simple* (March 2014: People now receiving emails asking source and purpose of MO deposits) (Ref)
    15 photo deposit per month and $3000 per deposit (first 5 are limited to $2000). Robust MO reading (Ref)
  • SunTrust Only seems to accept WU, posts next day if in before 9pm.
  • United Bank
  • UFB Direct
    prefers MoneyGram MOs; WU MOs work fine also. Will Shut down. (Ref)
  • USAA (Ref)
    May be limited to $1k/day available immediately (Ref), with remainder held for 1 week. User experience: $5k/day. One person reported shutdown after a few months, doing less than 5K mo in MO deposits.(Ref)
  • Wells Fargo
    $2500/day $5000/mo ($1000/day $3000/30days for new accounts < 180 days) (Ref)
    user experience: multiple <=$500 (Ref); WU MO (Ref)

Do not allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Ally
  • Amalgamated Bank (cannot deposit MOs via mobile app)
  • Aspiration
  • Bank of America
    Not reliable MO reading (Ref)
    Effective 2/23 BofA no longer accepts mobile deposits of MOs or TCs. (Ref)
  • Bank of the West
  • Barclays. The terms state MOs are not allowed. MG worked twice but not again!
  • Capital One 360 (won't accept MO via mail in deposit either)
  • Chase
  • Discover Checking* (NUMEROUS REPORTS MONEY ORDERS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED); user experience: <2k (Ref); 2 days to post (Ref); terms do not explicitly state a limit (Ref)
  • Eastern Bank. $2500 per day, $7500 per month. Update 3/22/16: Per chat, Eastern no longer accepts MO over Mobile Deposit
  • Fidelity Investments - no MO's accepted at all
  • Fiserv-based credit unions
  • Fulton Bank
  • Huntington Bank
  • LMCU Will shut down MO deposits for high volume.
  • Navy Federal Credit Union
  • PNC (Ref)
  • Radius Bank: Mobile deposits no longer allowed
  • Sallie Mae (actually, does not accept money order deposits at all)
  • Santander: MG and WU are a no go
  • TD Ameritrade: doesn't take MO period. Not by app, mail, or in person.
  • TIAA-Direct (3 checks per business day, $10K per day) No longer viable after calls by Candy in Sep 2014.
  • Vanguard - No MO's accepted at all

Allowed Via ATM:
  • BoA - may be deposited at ATM (Ref)
    (Ref)
  • Bank of Oklahoma (BOK)
  • Cambridge Savings Bank (Boston MA area) - accepts MoneyGram at ATM, haven't tested others yet, fund post in 1-2 business days, automatic detection doesn't usually work (have to edit the check amounts) (ref)
  • Capital One Bank/360 - automatic amount detection for Western Union, posts within 1-3 days; Auto detects MoneyGram if the ink is dark enough, available next 1-3 days (Mar 17 Ref); USPS accepted, but not auto detected, available 1-3 days (Mar 17 Ref).
  • Chase - about four days to clear (Ref) (Ref). Cleared next day.
  • Citi
    Haven't been able to successfully deposit Western Union but MoneyGram usually works. No longer works, have to deposit with teller.
  • Citizens: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; if read incorrectly or not at all you can manually edit amount
  • Huntington - Since the ATM upgrade, WU MO gets rejected. Needs to be deposited with teller.
  • KeyBank: Will accept Western Union money orders. Refuses to accept MoneyGram (from WM) money orders. Recent 2016 reports of problems and risk of shutdown if
  • M&T Bank -- can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • PNC Bank: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; told by teller that ATMs have no problems accepting MO deposits
  • Santander - ATM accepts MoneyGram, often need to edit the amount. Reports of locked funds, YMMV. (ref)
  • TD Bank
  • USAA
  • US Bank, can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • Webster Bank - accepts MoneyGram, need to enter amount manually, funds available next day (Ref), same with USPS Money Orders (Ref) and Western Union
  • Wells Fargo accepts MoneyGram
  • going over even just a few thousand a month.
Print Wikipost

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2017-onward)

Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by pancakeman27
Gotcha - Yeah I'm trying trying to find a place that won't mind 3-4K per month and will accept MG MO's since I'm a WM guy. I thought UFB was great, but didn't see the earlier shut down report.

I'm hoping Citizens will work or a credit union around here. And I think I'll just stick to ATMs - hopefully I will lie lower that way. Ofcourse I prefer mobile deposit, but I don't know of any that work for MG MO's without the doctoring up the MO for the photo (which I want to avoid).

3-4K at Schwab shouldn't be a problem, and you can use their app to deposit WMT MO.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by tsmith12
3-4K at Schwab shouldn't be a problem, and you can use their app to deposit WMT MO.
Ok - Thanks for the update! I'll go to them if my local options fall through.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by CWAL
Schwab isn't the best choice for longevity.
I would suggest one makes sure MOs come from the same place (store) as they inquired about it.
Received 2 calls so far for "mortar deposits" to my investment account.
However, depositing to my investment account and not withdrawing.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by vgtest1980
SunTrust allows all MO's via ATM. Just the mobile app doesn't allow MG MO's
Does Suntrust still allow for WM MG MO?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by dommer
Does Suntrust still allow for WM MG MO?
yes it does. I just deposited one last week via ATM
Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:14 pm

DP: A little known bank in Northeast PA called Meridian Bank allows MO via mobile deposit. First time tried with WU MO and worked. Has to be customer for 60+ days to use Mobile Deposit. The following is not allowed per their terms.

Checks not payable to the account holder
Third party endorsed checks
Checks that contain language such as "payable through" or "payable at"
Travelers checks
Post dated checks
Stale dated checks (more than 180 days old or exceeds restrictions specified on check)
Checks for which the payee name differs from the name on the account
Foreign checks
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:08 pm

Any recent experience with Walmart Money Orders via Mobile Deposit? Mine is *very light* printing on a pale blue-ish front, tried Chase / WF / Schwab, no luck with any - Chase said can't take this type, Schwab/WF kept complaining about photos. Is receipt stub supposed to stay on or be pulled off? Thought the latter.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by NDS88
Any recent experience with Walmart Money Orders via Mobile Deposit? Mine is *very light* printing on a pale blue-ish front, tried Chase / WF / Schwab, no luck with any - Chase said can't take this type, Schwab/WF kept complaining about photos. Is receipt stub supposed to stay on or be pulled off? Thought the latter.
NEVER deposit MOs into Chase accounts. Ever. Period.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by NDS88
Receipt stub gets taken off. You can always go to the branch and deposit in person/ATM. The times the ink was really light the teller manually scribbled the amount on the MO and deposited/applied towards CC payment. At the ATM you just manually enter the amount.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by Superorb
NEVER deposit MOs into Chase accounts. Ever. Period.
I know Chase can be pretty uptight about certain things but "never ever" fear is ridiculous.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by tsmith12
I know Chase can be pretty uptight about certain things but "never ever" fear is ridiculous.
No, it isn't. Have you spent any time in the "Chase closed my accounts" thread? Many people have gotten their accounts axed after depositing a single MO into their checking account. Coincidence? Maybe, but why take the chance when there are tons of credit unions everywhere?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:36 am

DP - Citizens bank does NOT allow MO deposit via ATM. Bummer - but I may just keep using their drive up teller - seems easy enough.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:42 pm

Is Simple Bank still working for MO deposits? I tried a while back and it didn't work.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 10:27 pm

Si.mple still works
Old Dec 31, 2017, 5:50 pm

What % of your monthly deposits are MO?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.