Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2017-onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: vagrants
This is a new thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Moneygram does not allow mobile app MO deposit regardless of whether or not the bank allows it. However, this policy doesn't seem to be enforced. You can still deposit via ATM or in person.

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone

Allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • BB&T. $1,000 per day, $3,000 per month. WU works fine. Doesn't seem to take MoneyGram.
  • Charles Schwab, depending on account up to 10k/day (While they allow MOs, their app may not be able to read all MOs. MG only work with dark printouts.)
  • Citadel FCU: normally works great with WU, but only do one deposit, small amount first time to test. Increase deposit amount slowly, and do not exceed 2K daily or they may call you and ask what you are doing, or freeze account. Very fraud-conscious at this CU. MO funds avail. within 24 hrs. Apparent $10K/mo limit.
  • Citibank (500 first 6 months, 1500 thereafter) Citibank does not allow MoneyGram mobile deposits and most ATMs reject the MO.(Ref)
  • Clearview FCU
  • DCU - works, reports of shutdown for MS specific behavior (depositing Money Orders) start in March 2017 (Ref, Ref, Ref posts 99 and onward)
    clears immediately (Ref). Very finicky that the MO be filled out completely and the back is endorsed "for deposit only DCU".
  • Everbank ($50K per day total, no check bigger than $50K) (but see report of shutdown
    Ref)
  • NorthePointe bank. 10 day hold per new accounts <30 days old.
  • Penfed. $5K per day limit. WU works fine. A portion of deposit may be held back for a few days. Doesn't seem to take MG (amount entered doesn't match amount detected error message).
  • Simple* (March 2014: People now receiving emails asking source and purpose of MO deposits) (Ref)
    15 photo deposit per month and $3000 per deposit (first 5 are limited to $2000). Robust MO reading (Ref)
  • SunTrust Only seems to accept WU, posts next day if in before 9pm.
  • United Bank
  • UFB Direct
    prefers MoneyGram MOs; WU MOs work fine also. Will Shut down. (Ref)
  • USAA (Ref)
    May be limited to $1k/day available immediately (Ref), with remainder held for 1 week. User experience: $5k/day. One person reported shutdown after a few months, doing less than 5K mo in MO deposits.(Ref)
  • Wells Fargo
    $2500/day $5000/mo ($1000/day $3000/30days for new accounts < 180 days) (Ref)
    user experience: multiple <=$500 (Ref); WU MO (Ref)

Do not allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Ally
  • Amalgamated Bank (cannot deposit MOs via mobile app)
  • Aspiration
  • Bank of America
    Not reliable MO reading (Ref)
    Effective 2/23 BofA no longer accepts mobile deposits of MOs or TCs. (Ref)
  • Bank of the West
  • Barclays. The terms state MOs are not allowed. MG worked twice but not again!
  • Capital One 360 (won't accept MO via mail in deposit either)
  • Chase
  • Discover Checking* (NUMEROUS REPORTS MONEY ORDERS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED); user experience: <2k (Ref); 2 days to post (Ref); terms do not explicitly state a limit (Ref)
  • Eastern Bank. $2500 per day, $7500 per month. Update 3/22/16: Per chat, Eastern no longer accepts MO over Mobile Deposit
  • Fidelity Investments - no MO's accepted at all
  • Fiserv-based credit unions
  • Fulton Bank
  • Huntington Bank
  • LMCU Will shut down MO deposits for high volume.
  • Navy Federal Credit Union
  • PNC (Ref)
  • Radius Bank: Mobile deposits no longer allowed
  • Sallie Mae (actually, does not accept money order deposits at all)
  • Santander: MG and WU are a no go
  • TD Ameritrade: doesn't take MO period. Not by app, mail, or in person.
  • TIAA-Direct (3 checks per business day, $10K per day) No longer viable after calls by Candy in Sep 2014.
  • Vanguard - No MO's accepted at all

Allowed Via ATM:
  • BoA - may be deposited at ATM (Ref)
    (Ref)
  • Bank of Oklahoma (BOK)
  • Cambridge Savings Bank (Boston MA area) - accepts MoneyGram at ATM, haven't tested others yet, fund post in 1-2 business days, automatic detection doesn't usually work (have to edit the check amounts) (ref)
  • Capital One Bank/360 - automatic amount detection for Western Union, posts within 1-3 days; Auto detects MoneyGram if the ink is dark enough, available next 1-3 days (Mar 17 Ref); USPS accepted, but not auto detected, available 1-3 days (Mar 17 Ref).
  • Chase - about four days to clear (Ref) (Ref). Cleared next day.
  • Citi
    Haven't been able to successfully deposit Western Union but MoneyGram usually works. No longer works, have to deposit with teller.
  • Citizens: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; if read incorrectly or not at all you can manually edit amount
  • Huntington - Since the ATM upgrade, WU MO gets rejected. Needs to be deposited with teller.
  • KeyBank: Will accept Western Union money orders. Refuses to accept MoneyGram (from WM) money orders. Recent 2016 reports of problems and risk of shutdown if
  • M&T Bank -- can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • PNC Bank: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; told by teller that ATMs have no problems accepting MO deposits
  • Santander - ATM accepts MoneyGram, often need to edit the amount. Reports of locked funds, YMMV. (ref)
  • TD Bank
  • USAA
  • US Bank, can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • Webster Bank - accepts MoneyGram, need to enter amount manually, funds available next day (Ref), same with USPS Money Orders (Ref) and Western Union
  • Wells Fargo accepts MoneyGram
  • going over even just a few thousand a month.
Print Wikipost

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2017-onward)

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2021, 8:08 pm

I've been depositing MOs into my US Bank checking via ATM for 8+ years with never a hiccup. FWIW my general personal guideline is max 1 MO/week but I go over that occasionally. Who knows, maybe these days they're harder on new accounts or first-time deposits and my track record is protecting me?

Originally Posted by Churnitupsome
I'm not too sure I understand what you're saying. The wiki says US Bank allows MO deposits via ATM. If US Bank had zero tolerance for minimal MS, why would the first time depositing a money order not result in any adverse actions From? From reading through the posts, it sounds like there was one person who was doing several thousand a month for an extended period of time before he was shut down.

The verbiage that the fraud department used was that if the deposit was "legitimate" then the funds would be released into the account and no further action would be taken. I am hoping that means they just want to verify the funds aren't fraudulent.

I'll provide an update when I have one. Might be a good idea to update the wiki too with this info.
Old May 5, 2021, 6:01 am

**Update**

Logged on this morning and the deposit has posted!
danhouston and 808traveler like this.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 1:41 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Chase MO deposit cleared next business day. Overnight. Do not normally go to Chase though. There are so many other options.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 2:29 pm

Programs: IHG, Hilton diamond (IHG match) SPG gold
Originally Posted by RedSun
Chase MO deposit cleared next business day. Overnight. Do not normally go to Chase though. There are so many other options.
IME - I use ATM a few times a month (WU) - if it auto reads, same day available up to 5C. If manual entry, amount clears next day. Account open a few years. Counter deposit varies but usually 225 same day, rest next business day. I have not tried mobile.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 6:22 pm
sow

First Tech FCU

They allow, but I was shutdown after minimal activity. I did ramp up fairly quickly as the account had no activity for the first 3 months. Deposited a few MO from the PO office, MG MO, and buying group E-checks. probably 7k over a 2 month period and was shut down. Was very surprised, sensitive compared to others I’ve used.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 9:09 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by sow
They allow, but I was shutdown after minimal activity. I did ramp up fairly quickly as the account had no activity for the first 3 months. Deposited a few MO from the PO office, MG MO, and buying group E-checks. probably 7k over a 2 month period and was shut down. Was very surprised, sensitive compared to others I’ve used.
They are not MS friendly. In fact, it was even spelled out in the terms at one time!
sow likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
You should be aware that MG now has a prohibition for depositing MOs via mobile.

There was some discussion about this up-thread, and I would suggest reading it.
Is this still true? That MG doesn't not allow mobile app deposit? I googled it, and it seems to be not allowed. Added it to the WIKI.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 10:09 pm
sow

Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah
Is this still true? That MG doesn't not allow mobile app deposit? I googled it, and it seems to be not allowed. Added it to the WIKI.
In practice doesn’t seem to matter.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 5:30 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by sow
As long as things go according to Hoyle, I suspect that this is not a problem.

However...if something is to go boing in the night, then MG is not responsible for the loss of your MO deposit and will not make you whole for your loss.

They say so in their T&C's
Old Aug 3, 2021, 5:36 am
sow

Originally Posted by radonc1
As long as things go according to Hoyle, I suspect that this is not a problem.

However...if something is to go boing in the night, then MG is not responsible for the loss of your MO deposit and will not make you whole for your loss.

They say so in their T&C's
How could you lose your deposit from mobile depositing though?
Old Aug 3, 2021, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by sow
not quite in the loop... if in fact mobile deposit is not allowed, why doesn't it matter?
Old Aug 3, 2021, 8:13 am
sow

Originally Posted by danhouston
not quite in the loop... if in fact mobile deposit is not allowed, why doesn't it matter?
Well the bank where you deposit is who enforces rules like this. I’ve had no issues mobile depositing when the bank allowed it, and in my mind I can’t think of a way that MG could know the method in which it was deposited. That knowledge seems to be internal to the depositing bank.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by sow
Well the bank where you deposit is who enforces rules like this. I’ve had no issues mobile depositing when the bank allowed it, and in my mind I can’t think of a way that MG could know the method in which it was deposited. That knowledge seems to be internal to the depositing bank.
ah, i thought OP had posted that MG no longer allows mobile deposit its MOs to banks accts, not bc of bank's restrictions; meaning that one has to make a trip to ATMs or banks to do it in person rather than a more convenient & faster method with 📱

as we know, some banks don't have or allow mobile deposit of any kind

Last edited by danhouston; Aug 3, 2021 at 10:06 am
Old Aug 3, 2021, 4:20 pm
sow

ah, i thought OP had posted that MG no longer allows mobile deposit its MOs to banks accts, not bc of bank's restrictions; meaning that one has to make a trip to ATMs or banks to do it in person rather than a more convenient & faster method with 📱

They did post that and it’s true, if you read the back of one, it says that mobile deposit is strictly prohibited. I was just saying in practice I haven’t seen it enforced, and I’m not sure how MG would do so.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 8:38 pm

Yeah, I did post that. I'm glad it's not being enforced.

Though I guess technically, I'm not the original original poster. I saw someone had posted it months ago when I was researching how to stop my photos from being rejected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.