Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.
The 2018 thread is here.

THIS IS A WIKI FOR AND OLD THREAD AND IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as debit.

-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
-Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes > $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart.

The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you.

MO fee is usually 70 cents each. Subtract from your total or pay in cash.

Start slow and buy one MO to see how it works. Your store or cashier may work different and have rules that other store do not have.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2017, 1:04 pm

It's true, happened to me in Northern Virginia too. This method takes all of the information that would have gone on the old money order form if you were making over $2k in purchases (name, address, social security number, drivers license number, etc.) and inputs it into the computer. It is only required if you are buying over $750 in money orders.

My local Walmart used this method for about two days, then realized they were wasting so much time putting this into the system for even one $1k money order (it takes 3-5 minutes depending on the service rep), and subsequently limited money orders to one swipe only to stop the volume of purchases over that $750 threshold.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 1:19 pm

Im not sure I can trust WM with my SSN.

what prevents you from mistyping a SSN?
Old Dec 29, 2017, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
Im not sure I can trust WM with my SSN.

Same things I was thinking...
Old Dec 29, 2017, 2:45 pm

integrity?
Old Dec 29, 2017, 3:11 pm

This new system sounds bad for over $750. I wonder if they can swipe our DL to prefill the info. I can't remember my ssn very well.

BP with the app sounds better and the payments might not be anonymous using the app.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:07 pm

Is the $750 threshold the value of the MO or total for transaction?

so can we have multiple MOs <750 to not prompt for SSN?
Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Travelz
I can't remember my ssn very well.
You need to churn more . . .
Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by wyogold
You need to churn more . . .
I was kidding. I know it but I didn't want to write it down anywhere at WM.

It will be interesting to see how each store deals with the new program. Some might just do it the old way, but limit us to one trans. One store has us get back in line for another trans, so that would work.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 5:10 pm

Is the $750 threshold the value of the MO or total for transaction?

so can we have multiple MOs <750 to not prompt for SSN?
I believe that it is for transaction. They have a big screen on their side that lets them input amounts for up to ten money orders at once. The system seems designed to make money orders one transaction, though I suppose a friendly customer service representative could circumvent the rules and do multiple transactions.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA gold
My biggest concern is I should input those info every single time. Ideally, once you are entered into system, you shouldn't have to fill again next time.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Recently, was asked to sign a receipt (which the cashier then took back) after buying MOs with 4 swipes. Is this normal? Never had this happen before first time seeing it...
Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by msp3
Recently, was asked to sign a receipt (which the cashier then took back) after buying MOs with 4 swipes. Is this normal? Never had this happen before first time seeing it...
It's the new norm.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by RollPlayer
It's true, happened to me in Northern Virginia too. This method takes all of the information that would have gone on the old money order form if you were making over $2k in purchases (name, address, social security number, drivers license number, etc.) and inputs it into the computer. It is only required if you are buying over $750 in money orders.

My local Walmart used this method for about two days, then realized they were wasting so much time putting this into the system for even one $1k money order (it takes 3-5 minutes depending on the service rep), and subsequently limited money orders to one swipe only to stop the volume of purchases over that $750 threshold.
So I take it if you were just buying 1 MO for $600 with 1 split ($300 each), it should not trigger this extra paperwork issue since it is < $750?

Originally Posted by cruisr
This is the MO that says "gift certificate" on it. When I was traveling I came across this new procedure. I was asked to show DL and sign for the MO but no SS# and I did 2K and paid the 1.40 separately. I didn't even realize they send 'gift certificate" on them until I looked closely.
What do you mean by "gift certificate" on it? Do you mean that the MO gets printed with the words "gift certificate" on it OR just the receipt says that?

Last edited by ericdabbs; Dec 30, 2017 at 12:51 pm
Old Dec 30, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Was in the Covina area in S. Cal today. Stopped by 3 different WMs. One let me buy 2 $500, they wouldn't do $1k and split payments so it cost me $1.40, all else was BAU. The next stop was "No Gift Cards" so I left. The last stop was $1k and I had to sign a little receipt. Didn't have to show an ID. The MO didn't have anything different on it.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 7:29 am

After 1 month gap, yesterday ventured out for VGC liquidation. I have not encountered the new MO system. At couple of stores, MO down sign is posted. May be they are upgrading to newer hardware. It is getting difficult to get MOs. Took me 1.3x more time then last month. This is at NorCal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.