Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.
The 2018 thread is here.

THIS IS A WIKI FOR AND OLD THREAD AND IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as debit.

-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
-Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes > $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart.

The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you.

MO fee is usually 70 cents each. Subtract from your total or pay in cash.

Start slow and buy one MO to see how it works. Your store or cashier may work different and have rules that other store do not have.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2017)

Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fedechat
I think is the other way around, a couple of days (or weeks) when they implemented the new system they told me that now customers can cash out MO that were acquired only at WM. Probably that's the reason why they are inserting the "Gift Certificate" on it?. I have no clue, but I never cash out a MO before.
It already says it's from WM
Old Dec 20, 2017, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by fedechat
I think is the other way around, a couple of days (or weeks) when they implemented the new system they told me that now customers can cash out MO that were acquired only at WM. Probably that's the reason why they are inserting the "Gift Certificate" on it?. I have no clue, but I never cash out a MO before.
idk maybe they plan to give store credit only for them
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:28 pm

All is quiet on the homefront. Luckily, I will be taking a break for Christmas/NY to visit family. Will probe again after NY, but I doubt anything will drastically change.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton
It already says it's from WM
you mean the new WM MO not has the word "gift certificate", but also the word "Walmart" to indicate where it was printed?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
you mean the new WM MO not has the word "gift certificate", but also the word "Walmart" to indicate where it was printed?
The old one has " MONEY ORDER - WM" printed right above the amount The new one has "gift certificate" printed in the top center, which in retail is a code word for store credit and store credit can't be changed to cash at that store.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by cashcyclone
The old one has " MONEY ORDER - WM" printed right above the amount The new one has "gift certificate" printed in the top center, which in retail is a code word for store credit and store credit can't be changed to cash at that store.
interesting, thanks for the info. i guess, from our perspective, as long as it can still be gobbled up by atm then we are good.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by anonymous99
All is quiet on the homefront. Luckily, I will be taking a break for Christmas/NY to visit family. Will probe again after NY, but I doubt anything will drastically change.
Come on man there is no holiday in MS word. It's 24/7 job.
Prometheus77 and anonymous99 like this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 5:20 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Gitangali
Come on man there is no holiday in MS word. It's 24/7 job.
Then it is sad for you that WM will be closed from 6PM Christmas Eve until 7AM Tuesday
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:30 am

interesting, thanks for the info. i guess, from our perspective, as long as it can still be gobbled up by atm then we are good.
I wonder if you can send it as a payment of your credit card bill (or pay in person) - would it still be accepted as a valid payment?
Old Dec 21, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by carlitos
Still no sign of the new system starting here in the Middle of Nowhere Mid West. Got rid of my entire stack of Simon VGCs in the last couple of days and bought plenty of $1,000 MOs around the 3 Wallys I have in the area due to panic in this thread Still, CSRs could care less what type of Debit Card I was using on the split transaction, as they complained to me about not having enough help during Christmas season and just having to survive long lines of customers. So before the 24th, I think I might hit the Simon Mall hard to take advantage of the $2.95 per VGC of $500 USD
Twice this month I unloaded a slew of Simon VGC's in a single WM. No new system yet. Told CSR I didn't want to hold up the line. She pretty much said "screw 'em. They should give me more help". I'm also in the midwest.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by rxgeek
Twice this month I unloaded a slew of Simon VGC's in a single WM. No new system yet. Told CSR I didn't want to hold up the line. She pretty much said "screw 'em. They should give me more help". I'm also in the midwest.
lol. there was a csr who refused to let me go that day, keep asking me "want more? want more?"
i suspect he didnt want to deal with the returns and multitude of requests from other customers.
processing mo is straightfwd and drama-free i guess.

sure meet lots of fun characters whenever on a trip to wm.
jtav559 and cajunguy like this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
lol. there was a csr who refused to let me go that day, keep asking me "want more? want more?"
i suspect he didnt want to deal with the returns and multitude of requests from other customers.
processing mo is straightfwd and drama-free i guess.

sure meet lots of fun characters whenever on a trip to wm.
Oh how I wish I could go to wally there. I'd unload 100k in an hour for those poor CSRs.
in4tar likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by hiima
Oh how I wish I could go to wally there. I'd unload 100k in an hour for those poor CSRs.
I'm the only MSer in town, yet my WM now rigidly enforces the one money order transaction per costumer per day. Wish I had a friend like you do ...
Old Dec 21, 2017, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by hiima
Thanks for the fair warning. Gnomey (and his neighbors) must be glad he wasn't any more specific.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by in4tar
I wonder if you can send it as a payment of your credit card bill (or pay in person) - would it still be accepted as a valid payment?
Have done this a number of times, in person only, though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.