Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.
The 2018 thread is here.

THIS IS A WIKI FOR AND OLD THREAD AND IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as debit.

-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
-Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes > $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart.

The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you.

MO fee is usually 70 cents each. Subtract from your total or pay in cash.

Start slow and buy one MO to see how it works. Your store or cashier may work different and have rules that other store do not have.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by carlitos
Business as usual in the Middle of Nowhere Mid West (3 Wallys). Actually, went to one of them at night (9:30PM) and my CSR friend was sooo mad because they were short staffed and she had been working the CS counter all by herself. Of course, I told her I hopped I was not giving her problems to what she replied: "you are the customer that gives me the least trouble". So as always, $1,000 MO with 2 X $500 VCG + $68 Cent fee in cash. Old fashion way. I am downsizing my VGC lot just because here everyone is panicking, but with Simon VGCs @ $2,95 a piece, it is hard to do it
Same here, 3x WM (2xNM, 1xSC) in a flyover state in the midwest, all business as usual and nobody has heard anything about a new system or any updates coming.

That "tender not allowed" message is ominous though, and I feel like it's only a matter of time.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
WM NM, one of my usual fishing holes. Visited this morning. MO no issue with Simon VGC.

Curiously, said "Debit Tender" as opposed to 'Credit coverted to Debit". Anyone know the difference?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:58 pm

FYI people in the VA area.. Gainesville WM is dead for MO and BP. 1 swipe for bank issued cards only now. Just went today at 3PM.. the end is near!
Old Dec 18, 2017, 2:16 pm

Something changed at my local WM in the Chicago suburbs this morning. My go-to that I frequent 2-3x/wk told me that there was a new way to ring up the money orders. The terminology on my side of the screen was different too, but she still went thru the "$500 at a time" prompts. Problem was nothing printed at the end except a receipt slip to sign. She didn't seem to know how to proceed, so she had me sign the receipt, then went thru the "old way" to get me my $2k money orders. Since the system already apparently took my GC swipes, it was just a cash transaction, but the MOs printed. She did say that they are supposed to use the new way, but the old way still works. I'm a little nervous, will try again tomorrow, may have to ask her to use the "old way." Otherwise I may have to try one swipe of $500 at a time to see if multiple swipes is the blocker.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali
That's not an option because the maximum VGC denomination at the WM is $500
can use a DC to buy $25k or more MOs in one transaction.. there is no max dollar limit that I know of for one transaction.. most churning does not allow this do to gebits limitations
Old Dec 18, 2017, 8:34 pm

My go to WM got the new system sometime in the past few days (was last there on Friday).

It's really as described by others, the MO says "Gift Certificate" but it's pretty hard to see because it prints over that red security check. Two mini receipts printed out after the real receipt; the cashier said I only had to sign one of them and the other was my copy.

For those getting the "tender not allowed" errors, I would say the systems can go down (either WM's or the card issuer's). Did you try again? Further investigate?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by Mamibear
I have read $1K load is possible on SMVGCs for those with corporate accounts. Find out if you can be approved for a corporate account (that's a big IF) but they also monitor these GCs so if they notice a pattern these GCs are unloaded in one transaction, you'll likely be shutdown immediately. Therefore, even if you can get a corporate account and start swiping those SMVGCs to get around rules of one swipe at some stores, I don't think you can get away with it for months without getting shutdown.
I've discussed this with more than one person at a Simon Mall. They monitor the corporate accounts closely. I had one at one time, but got closed down after only two purchases.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by danpeake
My go to WM got the new system sometime in the past few days (was last there on Friday).

It's really as described by others, the MO says "Gift Certificate" but it's pretty hard to see because it prints over that red security check. Two mini receipts printed out after the real receipt; the cashier said I only had to sign one of them and the other was my copy.
Wonder what's the reason why they change the MO to include a "gift certificate" word? Anybody know?
Well, as long as they still allow 4 swipes per txn , I really dont care if the MO looks terrible or ugly. lol
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
Wonder what's the reason why they change the MO to include a "gift certificate" word? Anybody know?
Well, as long as they still allow 4 swipes per txn , I really dont care if the MO looks terrible or ugly. lol
Financial instruments don't typically carry language strictly for decoration purposes. There may be some associated change in T&C.
But there's rather drastic difference between MO and Gift Certificate. I thought the first means something similar to a certified check, while the other more like "store credit".
Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by danpeake

Have you tried depositing these "gift certificate" MOs in your bank/CU? No problem there?
Old Dec 19, 2017, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by in4tar
Have you tried depositing these "gift certificate" MOs in your bank/CU? No problem there?
No issues depositing the MOs with 'gift certificate' printed on them at my banks.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: AA
I haven't been to a WM yet with the new system, but can someone go buy like a $10 one and pay with cash or a real debit card and see if it still spits out Gift Certificate?
Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Originally Posted by ducksaucei3
I haven't been to a WM yet with the new system, but can someone go buy like a $10 one and pay with cash or a real debit card and see if it still spits out Gift Certificate?
What's wrong with you trying it?
Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cajunguy
"I haven't been to a WM yet with the new system"
Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by cajunguy
Because all my regular WM's are still on the old system

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.