Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.
The 2018 thread is here.

THIS IS A WIKI FOR AND OLD THREAD AND IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as debit.

-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
-Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes > $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart.

The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you.

MO fee is usually 70 cents each. Subtract from your total or pay in cash.

Start slow and buy one MO to see how it works. Your store or cashier may work different and have rules that other store do not have.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by wyogold
Where did you see $16 for $ 2K?
I logged in the WM app, pressed Send Money and made a 'test' payment of $2K. Under delivery options the first that comes up is RIA which charges $16 fee for WM2WM 10 minute service for sending $2K. If paying via MGI, service fee is $20 for 10 minute service and for MGI overnight available after 7 am, fee is $50.00.

I also did test payment of $2500 and got the same fees but for MS purposes with max swipe of 4 and I know fees can be paid with cash although I didn't pay any fees in the past with RIA transfer.

IF, later on WM does a software update that ALL stores will reject GCs, then MS activities will cease at WM. I still have several grocery stores and gas stations as back ups.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by wyogold
Any idea what those changes might be? The suspense is killing me, I'm telling you, killing me ... changes impacting the hobby are never good ...
The change has hit one of my local WM's. Bought two MO's yesterday and the CSR no longer had to enter the last four digits of each money order. After the second MO printed, the receipt printed but it looked different than previous receipts and then a second smaller receipt printed out and it had a signature line which they asked me to sign. That was it and I was then on my way with my MO's. Also stopped by a WMNM today and the CSR said the new MO system would be coming there next week but they were not sure what the changes would be. Guessing it will be the same as the big WM.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43
Does anyone have other ideas? I do this for way more than just bonuses and promos.
Around DFW, most of the Kroger grocery stores won't let you split payment on MO's anymore and many will not let you get close to $499 without asking to see the card you are paying with. However, most will allow smaller amounts, so if I was in a situation where I needed to liquidate I would hit a few Kroger's and buy a $199 MO at one, then a $299 MO at another Kroger. I would repeat that process as needed. It's not worth it to me to do that for regular MS, but it's a decent one time liquidation option.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 5:02 pm

I bought few $799.30 with DEs today. No changes on MO and a cashier still enters serial number before receipt prints.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by knopfler
Around DFW, most of the Kroger grocery stores won't let you split payment on MO's anymore and many will not let you get close to $499 without asking to see the card you are paying with. However, most will allow smaller amounts, so if I was in a situation where I needed to liquidate I would hit a few Kroger's and buy a $199 MO at one, then a $299 MO at another Kroger. I would repeat that process as needed. It's not worth it to me to do that for regular MS, but it's a decent one time liquidation option.
Or drive to the boondocks. Some grocery chains here are strict about MOs in the city, but let me do multi swipes in the small nearby towns.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:14 pm

My local WMNM was no problem for 4 MO's today, but at my usually reliable local Super WM, the machine spat out a "not valid tender" slip on my first VGC swipe. That is a first time for that store. The end times are near.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
...at my usually reliable local Super WM, the machine spat out a "not valid tender" slip on my first VGC swipe.
If this is what we suspect, should we start reporting these incidents with the BINs of cards involved?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
If this is what we suspect, should we start reporting these incidents with the BINs of cards involved?
The more details the better. I vote in favor.

Otherwise, here it was business as usual today, 2 x 999.3 paid in 4 x 500.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali
The Maximum MO face value you can buy at WM is 1K. I believe WM allows maximum of 4 debit card payments. If you have to buy $4-5K MO and want to pay by 500 VGC, do you do multiple transactions? I want to know if there is a way to buy more than $2K in one transaction.
yes.. use a DC with a balance >$500.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:02 pm

Programs: Once upon a time...
I know I'm supposed to only post here if I'm complaining, but I'm here to report a success stories. I do a few MO's a month at various Walmart's around town. Tonight I stopped in and told the cashier I'll need a $799.30 MO, and she says, "four swipes, right?" Wow. I've never had someone know the deal and be ready and willing to help. Might have to stop by this Walmart on Sunday nights in the future. Easy and painless.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by knopfler
The change has hit one of my local WM's. Bought two MO's yesterday and the CSR no longer had to enter the last four digits of each money order. After the second MO printed, the receipt printed but it looked different than previous receipts and then a second smaller receipt printed out and it had a signature line which they asked me to sign. That was it and I was then on my way with my MO's. Also stopped by a WMNM today and the CSR said the new MO system would be coming there next week but they were not sure what the changes would be. Guessing it will be the same as the big WM.
I reported this a couple of weeks ago, is the new system (software) but not much change besides the signature. A couple of days ago it was down and my local WM had to use the old system (entering the last 4 digit of the MO).
knopfler likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Gitangali
The Maximum MO face value you can buy at WM is 1K. I believe WM allows maximum of 4 debit card payments. If you have to buy $4-5K MO and want to pay by 500 VGC, do you do multiple transactions? I want to know if there is a way to buy more than $2K in one transaction.
I have read $1K load is possible on SMVGCs for those with corporate accounts. Find out if you can be approved for a corporate account (that's a big IF) but they also monitor these GCs so if they notice a pattern these GCs are unloaded in one transaction, you'll likely be shutdown immediately. Therefore, even if you can get a corporate account and start swiping those SMVGCs to get around rules of one swipe at some stores, I don't think you can get away with it for months without getting shutdown.
Gitangali likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
My local WMNM was no problem for 4 MO's today, but at my usually reliable local Super WM, the machine spat out a "not valid tender" slip on my first VGC swipe. That is a first time for that store. The end times are near.
Well, I hate to add to the feeling of doom, but...

My local WMNM has been dead for money orders at the Money Center for a long time (GCs are refused), but I've been able to load my GB card using one of the cashiers.

Within the past week, however, the register printed the "tender not valid" slip while I was trying to load the GB card. This happened with a GC.com VGC and then a Simon VGC. This was the first time I've gotten "tender not valid" after a seemingly successful card swipe.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Chelski

yes.. use a DC with a balance >$500.
That's not an option because the maximum VGC denomination at the WM is $500
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Business as usual in the Middle of Nowhere Mid West (3 Wallys). Actually, went to one of them at night (9:30PM) and my CSR friend was sooo mad because they were short staffed and she had been working the CS counter all by herself. Of course, I told her I hopped I was not giving her problems to what she replied: "you are the customer that gives me the least trouble". So as always, $1,000 MO with 2 X $500 VCG + $68 Cent fee in cash. Old fashion way. I am downsizing my VGC lot just because here everyone is panicking, but with Simon VGCs @ $2,95 a piece, it is hard to do it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.