Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.
The 2018 thread is here.

THIS IS A WIKI FOR AND OLD THREAD AND IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as debit.

-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
-Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes > $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart.

The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you.

MO fee is usually 70 cents each. Subtract from your total or pay in cash.

Start slow and buy one MO to see how it works. Your store or cashier may work different and have rules that other store do not have.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by el_pistolero
Thank you.
So here is what I am gonna try. I will order a $500 gc on GCM with my name printed on it, then go to walmart and get a money order for $499.
Is that a good plan?
Sounds good, better yet add .30 to your MO's face value and the .70 will take care of the fee if you buy it at WM. If your WM sells MO for .69 up to $1000 face value, adjust the amount to $499.31. Your total should be $500, swipe your VGC and follow prompts. Good luck on your first venture!
gamzarme likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by sempervivum
Has anyone gotten a mo at the Tyson's wm in the last 24 hours? I heard from a friend he was declined for vgc today.
I was declined today. usually is super smooth
Old Nov 23, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by themoonFollowsthecar
I was declined today. usually is super smooth
can you be more specific. Did the CSR decline you? Did she ask to see the card? What was the reason you were declined? Did you swipe and it didn’t get approved?

i am not in VA but I had no problem at all at WM yesterday.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:07 am

For the Green Dot Visa VGC from Walmart, do we have to register them before we use them?
Someone told me I had to do that, but that seems unnecessary looking at the back of the packaging. Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by kiwinuked
For the Green Dot Visa VGC from Walmart, do we have to register them before we use them?
Someone told me I had to do that, but that seems unnecessary looking at the back of the packaging. Thanks in advance!
I bought $1500 in Green Dot VGC at Walmart earlier this month and was able to use them immediately after purchase.

Btw those work fine for MO purchases at Walmart but I prefer to unload them at grocery stores to avoid the possibility of extra attention.
soy likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by wormpoint
I bought $1500 in Green Dot VGC at Walmart earlier this month and was able to use them immediately after purchase.

Btw those work fine for MO purchases at Walmart but I prefer to unload them at grocery stores to avoid the possibility of extra attention.
Not sure how long they take to load, but the green dots didn't work for me the other month.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: n/a
I tried to buy a money order using a VGC from TARGET, $400, issued by MetaBank. Failed. I changed the payment to debit and input 4 digital pin. But still not work. Does the TARGET VGC not work?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by felixyang
I tried to buy a money order using a VGC from TARGET, $400, issued by MetaBank. Failed. I changed the payment to debit and input 4 digital pin. But still not work. Does the TARGET VGC not work?
They are issued by Incomm so they used to work at PO. Try a grocery store or by a meta with it or use it. I had just bought 3 gc from Target and converted them to MO before it ended at the PO.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: AA Platinum Jet Blue Mosaic
Originally Posted by felixyang
I too failed at my attempt to use a $400 VISA from Target at WMNM.
Took it immediately to my friendly grocery store and promptly liquidated it.
Thought it was just me.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by wormpoint

Which grocery store do you use? Is it a national chain, or some local roadside grocery store in your area?
Old Nov 25, 2017, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by chipcollector
I too failed at my attempt to use a $400 VISA from Target at WMNM.
Took it immediately to my friendly grocery store and promptly liquidated it.
Thought it was just me.
Incomm metabanks are basically worthless outside of region specific grocery stores. (Well...since USPS died they are about as worthless as any flavor of Vanilla)
Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:01 am

Does the system prompt for your ID if you purchase a MO over $500?
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Corridor!
Does the system prompt for your ID if you purchase a MO over $500?
No.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by vgtest1980
Which grocery store do you use? Is it a national chain, or some local roadside grocery store in your area?
Local to St. Louis area. We don't have many of the national chains here and the ones there are don't sell MOs.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:56 pm

Programs: n/a
Not related to MO.
But it's interesting, we can check Vanilla and Target's VGC from both of their websites(mybalancenow.com or vanillagift.com). Vanilla is Bancorp Bank, Target's is from MetaBank. So they should get the balance and transactions info from VISA. I tried a VGC of Walmartgift from GreenDotBank, it doesn't work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.