Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.
The 2018 thread is here.

THIS IS A WIKI FOR AND OLD THREAD AND IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as debit.

-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
-Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes > $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart.

The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you.

MO fee is usually 70 cents each. Subtract from your total or pay in cash.

Start slow and buy one MO to see how it works. Your store or cashier may work different and have rules that other store do not have.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by cashcyclone
What bank is the VGC issued from?
Hi Cash, was a Meta VGC from GC.com.

Was successful using the card down the road about an hour later.

Have not yet returned to the WM that rejected me though.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by kickmee6
Hello All,

The other day i was declined (by an unfamiliar cashier) attempting to purchase $499.30 MO. After i swiped, she looked at her screen, and then asked to see the card. I handed her the VGC, she said can't use these -- I then purchased the MO w/ my bank debit card. Which seemed to surprise her.

I was wondering if there is anything internally that would indicate to the cashier that a VGC is being used ? It seemed as if something on the screen triggered the cashier to ask to see the card.

I compared the receipt from the debit card purchase to the VGC purchase, and both receipts looked the same to me.

Any data points on how the VGC transaction appears / if it appears differently than a debit card transaction on the cashier's end ?
Yes, actually in my Middle of Nowhere Midwest Wally, my super friendly CSR told me they installed screens for customers too. I was looking at them yesterday while he was telling me how Tickemaster is coming and that I could see the name "Ticketmaster" on my side of the screen. Of course, all my VGCs (Simon or Krogy) show as "Credit converted to Debit" while also being swiped and not chipped. In places like Miami (Fraud Capital of the USA) and Cali, this is usually what triggers the CSR to know you are using a GC (MasterCards are way more difficult, as the change payment button alerts them way more). Good thing is that in the middle of nowhere midwest, they could care less if it is a GC or a real DC, as long as you don t give them $100 USD bills that might be fraudulent. So being business as usual for me and still splitting transactions with double swipe and cash for the $68 cent fee, it is not the same in places like Cali, South Florida, Chicago and all those big cities with lots of people now in the game. Hope this helps.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:27 pm

TY Carlitos !

I am in NY. I find Some WMs are more easy going than others, but that's probably the case every where
Old Nov 10, 2017, 2:42 pm

Hi Cash, was a Meta VGC from GC.com.

Was successful using the card down the road about an hour later.

Have not yet returned to the WM that rejected me though.
There are some DPs about transaction timeouts using Meta VGCs from GC.com. It may be particular store issue too. I personally buy Meta VGCs from GCM and I've never had this type of issue at WM.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Hello All,

The other day i was declined (by an unfamiliar cashier) attempting to purchase $499.30 MO. After i swiped, she looked at her screen, and then asked to see the card. I handed her the VGC, she said can't use these -- I then purchased the MO w/ my bank debit card. Which seemed to surprise her.

I was wondering if there is anything internally that would indicate to the cashier that a VGC is being used ? It seemed as if something on the screen triggered the cashier to ask to see the card.

I compared the receipt from the debit card purchase to the VGC purchase, and both receipts looked the same to me.

Any data points on how the VGC transaction appears / if it appears differently than a debit card transaction on the cashier's end ?

I haven't seen or heard any DPs, but they could conceivably do this, as they could load the BIN number of card issuers/banks they want name-checked/ID/whatever checked, and then issue an on-screen message to the CSR to do so... They'd likely need to do a software update, but it's definitely possible. And, if it were happening, we'd likely see widespread reporting of it fairly quickly.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:58 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Jarrett
I haven't seen or heard any DPs, but they could conceivably do this, as they could load the BIN number of card issuers/banks they want name-checked/ID/whatever checked, and then issue an on-screen message to the CSR to do so... They'd likely need to do a software update, but it's definitely possible. And, if it were happening, we'd likely see widespread reporting of it fairly quickly.
There are a lot of clues before you get to needing to enter BIN numbers, for example, debit swipe (most cards are now chip based) or MO for amounts of $XXXX.30, or multi-swipe MO purchases. All these are giveaways for MS
calwatch and hi55us like this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:42 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
California is hit or miss. The usual rules apply - WMNM is slightly better than the others, but every store has their own rules depending on the manager there. A couple of years ago when I was doing the BB/Serve game the inland area was better than Los Angeles. Don't know now.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 6:43 pm

I posted in Simon thread but recommended that I post here. So, here I am.
I am asumming forks here typically goes to WM MO route to unload simon. I had a MO transaction cancelled midway thru the purchase, and of course the funds from one simon card drained. WM did not refund me cash or anything (I got receipt). Card is bought from the Mall and not from online retailer. According to WM, my simon card is “pending” status, therefore WM claims they cannot do anything at this time. This is after I was required to speak with the store manager(?) and she was all understanding until she saw the print out of the transaction history of the card and alleged that it is “pending” status (how she got this “pending” I don’t know).

Will this “pending” ever goes away and the funds returned to the card? Or do I have to keep pressing with WM? I don’t want to draw unnecessary attention at this WM, but it is a big money (thank god, only one card). The manager wanted to see the transaction record and I gave them a printout of the transaction history (WM gave me back the paper). If you ever had similar experience, can you share (private message or here), how you resolved this?

This is the 1st time ever happened to me and I am beginning to bit panic here. (NOt that I cannot float, but I’d like to have my money back). It’s been 5 days now and the funds not returned to simon card. Do I have a option to file a claim with GCM (I kind of doubt it, but asking here cuz I don’t know). THank you so much.

Last edited by msiamsia; Nov 17, 2017 at 6:52 pm
Old Nov 17, 2017, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by msiamsia
I posted in Simon thread but recommended that I post here. So, here I am.
I am asumming forks here typically goes to WM MO route to unload simon. I had a MO transaction cancelled midway thru the purchase, and of course the funds from one simon card drained. WM did not refund me cash or anything (I got receipt). Card is bought from the Mall and not from online retailer. According to WM, my simon card is “pending” status, therefore WM claims they cannot do anything at this time. This is after I was required to speak with the store manager(?) and she was all understanding until she saw the print out of the transaction history of the card and alleged that it is “pending” status (how she got this “pending” I don’t know).

Will this “pending” ever goes away and the funds returned to the card? Or do I have to keep pressing with WM? I don’t want to draw unnecessary attention at this WM, but it is a big money (thank god, only one card). The manager wanted to see the transaction record and I gave them a printout of the transaction history (WM gave me back the paper). If you ever had similar experience, can you share (private message or here), how you resolved this?

This is the 1st time ever happened to me and I am beginning to bit panic here. (NOt that I cannot float, but I’d like to have my money back). It’s been 5 days now and the funds not returned to simon card. Do I have a option to file a claim with GCM (I kind of doubt it, but asking here cuz I don’t know). THank you so much.
You need to go back to the WM you had issues with and request to speak with the cash office manager. I have a suspicion that the funds will not appear back onto your VGC. After you enter your PIN and it authorizes, the money is taken off of the card and is in WM's hands.

What you describe seems like the transaction pushed through and you received a receipt.

What you should have done was to have called a CSM to void out the transaction. When you kill a transaction mid-way the money goes back onto the card almost instantly.

Can you describe, in more detail, what "MO transaction cancelled midway thru the purchase" means?
Old Nov 18, 2017, 2:30 pm

What you should have done was to have called a CSM to void out the transaction.
Thank you so much. CSM agreed to look into the transaction history of the date of cancelation, found surplus and gave me back the cash. Thank you!!
​​​
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Anyone have any experience with USBank Visa Gift Cards from Kroger when going to WM to buy MOs? I have 2 and the POS machines aren't reading them at 2 different locations.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by cajunguy
Anyone have any experience with USBank Visa Gift Cards from Kroger when going to WM to buy MOs? I have 2 and the POS machines aren't reading them at 2 different locations.
have you checked balance online?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Originally Posted by lumangoy
have you checked balance online?
Yes, both have their purchased balance still intact
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by cajunguy
Yes, both have their purchased balance still intact
Must be a bad magnetic strip then.

You tried swiping up?

You might have to call for a replacement.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
I bought 2 money orders. One of the money order number on the receipt matches the money order while the other does not. Did anyone face similar issues?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.