Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.
The 2018 thread is here.

THIS IS A WIKI FOR AND OLD THREAD AND IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as debit.

-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
-Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes > $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart.

The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you.

MO fee is usually 70 cents each. Subtract from your total or pay in cash.

Start slow and buy one MO to see how it works. Your store or cashier may work different and have rules that other store do not have.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2017)

Old Oct 8, 2017, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
In my experience, the money will go back on the cards within a few minutes if the CSR aborts before the final swipe. YMMV.
This has been my experience as well. I had a transaction cancelled by a nervous YV once after two swipes and the money was back on the card within a minute.

I've also had a printer malfunction. That money never goes back on the card. If WM can't fix the printer, they should give you cash before you leave.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
In my experience, the money will go back on the cards within a few minutes if the CSR aborts before the final swipe. YMMV.
I've only had one experience with a voided transaction (in August 2017) and the money did not go back on the card.

In my case, I told the CSR 500 debit but she keyed in 50 instead and when I swiped, it didn't even ask me for a pin number. Since she had already entered 2 $1000 GC and I paid her $1.40 in cash first, I told her to cancel it (thinking the money would go back). I saw the receipt said void but didn't get a good look at it.

After 2 weeks the money hadn't gone back on the card, so I called the [out of town] WM during the weekday and asked to talk to the accounting manager. I got lucky, she asked me for the date and last 4 of the card number. She saw that I had used it for $50 but when the txn was voided, the receipt should have said refund of $51.40 instead of $1.40 that I got back. She said someone would review the video to see that I didn't get the $50 refunded, and then mail me my $50 back, which she did.

From now on, if anything goes wrong with the transaction, I ask to take a picture of the receipt since the CSR usually wants to keep it for their drawer.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by AzLarry
From now on, if anything goes wrong with the transaction, I ask to take a picture of the receipt since the CSR usually wants to keep it for their drawer.
That's very good advice.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by FrankMS
This has been my experience as well. I had a transaction cancelled by a nervous YV once after two swipes and the money was back on the card within a minute.

I've also had a printer malfunction. That money never goes back on the card. If WM can't fix the printer, they should give you cash before you leave.
Originally Posted by AzLarry
I've only had one experience with a voided transaction (in August 2017) and the money did not go back on the card.

In my case, I told the CSR 500 debit but she keyed in 50 instead and when I swiped, it didn't even ask me for a pin number. Since she had already entered 2 $1000 GC and I paid her $1.40 in cash first, I told her to cancel it (thinking the money would go back). I saw the receipt said void but didn't get a good look at it.

After 2 weeks the money hadn't gone back on the card, so I called the [out of town] WM during the weekday and asked to talk to the accounting manager. I got lucky, she asked me for the date and last 4 of the card number. She saw that I had used it for $50 but when the txn was voided, the receipt should have said refund of $51.40 instead of $1.40 that I got back. She said someone would review the video to see that I didn't get the $50 refunded, and then mail me my $50 back, which she did.

Thanks for sharing - and yes, taking a photo of receipt is a good idea - if they can print that out. I have also encountered a situation in WM where they told me they cannot generate receipt after voiding a transaction mid-way (ie the total amount is not yet fully paid). This is related to a split payment credit card transaction though, not debit card.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Prometheus77
She told me the manager informed MC employees to inspect any non-chip debit cards to make sure they are not pre-paids, so I assume this is likely related to some kind of fraudulent purchasing going on that Walmart was probably on the hook for due to non-chip card transactions.
Retailers are never on the hook for PIN debit transactions.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by shitrus
Retailers are never on the hook for PIN debit transactions.
But, the retailer selling the vgc can be. And you are correct, retailers accepting pin transactions can't be on the hook, it's literally the same thing as saying an atm is on the hook for a fraud debit and pin withdrawal.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 3:09 pm

I am hoping somebody can shed some light on a situation I am having. I went to Wallyworld to buy a MO with VGC. I asked for $1k MO and I said I would split it to two swipes of 499.00 and 499.70 (to cover the MO fee). I swiped the first card but the person keyed in 400.99 instead of 499.00 and that was approved. I then told the guy the balance was wrong because it said 597.00 instead of 499.70. The guy told me he would cancel it and then it should go back on the card immediately. WRONG. It did not and when I tried the second time it printed out a message saying insufficient funds. There was no receipt printed from the first transaction that was cancelled. I then went and called GC.com and they said it should be refunded in 3-7 days however then I looked through a number of posts on this thread and it looks like some people say they get an instant rebate and others never got a refund even after 2 weeks. I am just trying to figure out how to rectify this. Thanks
Old Oct 13, 2017, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by dr0832
I am hoping somebody can shed some light on a situation I am having. I went to Wallyworld to buy a MO with VGC. I asked for $1k MO and I said I would split it to two swipes of 499.00 and 499.70 (to cover the MO fee). I swiped the first card but the person keyed in 400.99 instead of 499.00 and that was approved. I then told the guy the balance was wrong because it said 597.00 instead of 499.70. The guy told me he would cancel it and then it should go back on the card immediately. WRONG. It did not and when I tried the second time it printed out a message saying insufficient funds. There was no receipt printed from the first transaction that was cancelled. I then went and called GC.com and they said it should be refunded in 3-7 days however then I looked through a number of posts on this thread and it looks like some people say they get an instant rebate and others never got a refund even after 2 weeks. I am just trying to figure out how to rectify this. Thanks
Im not sure what you've tried to accomplish. A MO at WM is 70 cents, so your MO should have been $999.30. You should use the first $500 GC and the other one also $500.

I would just wait and hope the funds will come back within 2 days. Then i would contact the WM's cash office.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Well, big mistake. When that has happened to me, I always continue towards the second VGC and if anything is left and I do not have time to calculate it, I use my Bank's Visa Debit Card to finish the $1,000 MO. After that, I check the balance left on any VGC to decide if I use it the next time I visit a Wally to buy a $5XX.XX MO with a split of $500 on a new VGC and the remaining on the one that still had less than $100 on it. If they cancel a transaction, it never goes back to the VGC and you need to ask them for cash, as there will be a surplus on that register at the end of the shift.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by carlitos
Well, big mistake. When that has happened to me, I always continue towards the second VGC and if anything is left and I do not have time to calculate it, I use my Bank's Visa Debit Card to finish the $1,000 MO. After that, I check the balance left on any VGC to decide if I use it the next time I visit a Wally to buy a $5XX.XX MO with a split of $500 on a new VGC and the remaining on the one that still had less than $100 on it. If they cancel a transaction, it never goes back to the VGC and you need to ask them for cash, as there will be a surplus on that register at the end of the shift.
If they cancel the transaction before anything prints, then the funds should go back to the vgc. Whether it actually does is a toss up.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by carlitos

Well this sucks. Do I need to wait a certain amount before I go back to Walmart. It has been 3-4 days now, or will they be able to just check and see they had an extra 400.99 that day, and hopefully provide me a refund in cash?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:33 am

VGCs from GC.com have issues with refunds when transaction is aborted. If WM doesn’t refund in cash I’m not sure if you ever get any refund.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:45 am

Well this sucks. Do I need to wait a certain amount before I go back to Walmart. It has been 3-4 days now, or will they be able to just check and see they had an extra 400.99 that day, and hopefully provide me a refund in cash?
The other thing is the walmart money center manager wants to see my "bank statement" to show the transaction. Do you think I should just show the Giftcards.com account transaction print out or would it be better to photoshop something and make it look like a real bank account to prevent further scrutiny?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:49 am

show the Giftcards.com account transaction print out or would it be better to photoshop something
Why would you do something fraudulent in response to fraud prevention?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
The other thing is the walmart money center manager wants to see my "bank statement" to show the transaction. Do you think I should just show the Giftcards.com account transaction print out or would it be better to photoshop something and make it look like a real bank account to prevent further scrutiny?
i would show the account transaction print from gc.com..i would not go around photo-shopping anything specially when it's asked by someone for some review..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.