Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.
The 2018 thread is here.

THIS IS A WIKI FOR AND OLD THREAD AND IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as debit.

-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
-Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes > $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart.

The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you.

MO fee is usually 70 cents each. Subtract from your total or pay in cash.

Start slow and buy one MO to see how it works. Your store or cashier may work different and have rules that other store do not have.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:38 pm

Just put on the customer service desk at Walmart
Attached Images  
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by guywhocan
Just put on the customer service desk at Walmart
so then this is no different than I have understood for some time. Multiple money orders must be purchased in one transaction and pin based debit gift cards are acceptable as payment? It doesn't matter that they are gift cards- they are a form of debit card.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Spencer1
so then this is no different than I have understood for some time. Multiple money orders must be purchased in one transaction and pin based debit gift cards are acceptable as payment? It doesn't matter that they are gift cards- they are a form of debit card.
YMMV
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by Spencer1
Originally Posted by lumangoy
YMMV
It all depends on how you present yourself IMHO...roll into Walmart with a sense of entitlement and your Staples giftcards = SUPER DUPER FAIL (these days, not previously...need to adapt).

I personally think people need to start getting a little smarter about things or they are going to end it for everyone.

I have a virgin territory in my area and am doing everything i can do to protect it.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 11:10 am

If anyone is doing this in Atlanta and wants to compare notes, please PM me.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:49 pm

The "should " be purchased together is recommended but not required. It simplifies things so they simple minded csr can enter it into the computer not the paper form. It's all subject to interpretation though
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
the fee free offer is now dead. the last payment I sent for $2K last night still rang up zero fees but now, the fee is $16.00 for same amount. I was hoping for an extension of the promo but alas! they said no more. I'm still grateful for a few Ks of free MS.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:17 am

the fee free offer is now dead. the last payment I sent for $2K last night still rang up zero fees but now, the fee is $16.00 for same amount. I was hoping for an extension of the promo but alas! they said no more. I'm still grateful for a few Ks of free MS.
so would they give you cash?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:32 am

Yes, they gave cash to my recipients. Very easy procedure, they gave the reference #, showed their ID to MC cashier and got their cash I sent.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:45 pm

Yes, they gave cash to my recipients. Very easy procedure, they gave the reference #, showed their ID to MC cashier and got their cash I sent.
And the whole deal was available for 3 moths or so...there was no DP at all!
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Sketchy inquiry not related to this forum IMHO.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:45 pm

I am not one to rely on DPs, I try a deal with minimum info given and research for more info from other sites to find out if it works or not. It came out here 9/24 so those who wanted to try it had six days to find out.

IMHO, we only have ourselves to blame if we procrastinate and wait for others to try deals soon as they're posted before we try it ourselves and be the DP we want to see.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:14 pm

Were you using CCs to pay?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Ultraboost
Were you using CCs to pay?
No, drained my GCM/GCcom VGCs and I was ready to show it to them since my name was on all of them. None of the cashiers asked to see my GCs. The max amount one can send per transaction is $2500, no fee but since I'm limited to 4 swipes, I did $2K per recipient.

When I first asked a CSR for the accepted mode of payment, she said cash only but when she went on break, I asked the YV CSM and she said cash and DC with PIN and so I did my first trial send right there for $500 just to test how it works and ease of redemption by my recipient. DH was my first guinea pig and he said no questions asked, except for the reference number and DL to redeem cash.

Lesson learned for me is not to give up when a cashier tells me cash only; it pays to get a 'second opinion' from a more knowledgeable and friendly CSM.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:11 pm

No, drained my GCM/GCcom VGCs and I was ready to show it to them since my name was on all of them. None of the cashiers asked to see my GCs. The max amount one can send per transaction is $2500, no fee but since I'm limited to 4 swipes, I did $2K per recipient.

When I first asked a CSR for the accepted mode of payment, she said cash only but when she went on break, I asked the YV CSM and she said cash and DC with PIN and so I did my first trial send right there for $500 just to test how it works and ease of redemption by my recipient. DH was my first guinea pig and he said no questions asked, except for the reference number and DL to redeem cash.

Lesson learned for me is not to give up when a cashier tells me cash only; it pays to get a 'second opinion' from a more knowledgeable and friendly CSM.
Good advice, I'll try asking CSM about cc payment for VGCs at WM for Chase category.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.