Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.
The 2018 thread is here.

THIS IS A WIKI FOR AND OLD THREAD AND IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as debit.

-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
-Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes > $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart.

The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you.

MO fee is usually 70 cents each. Subtract from your total or pay in cash.

Start slow and buy one MO to see how it works. Your store or cashier may work different and have rules that other store do not have.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:29 am

Everytime I come on here, I think, what do posters think the wiki is for? My goodness.

Last edited by THEsocalledfan; Jun 23, 2017 at 8:35 am
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:13 pm

Saw this on DDF: "I just went to the Walmart I always use for MO but it didn't work. The clerk was happy to try it as usual, I put in the last 4 digits, but the system didn't take it. She said there was a system-wide change that will stop the Visa Debit cards from working in the future. There were too many counterfeit Visa debit cards."

Any truth to it or a clueless CSR?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by compddd
Saw this on DDF: "I just went to the Walmart I always use for MO but it didn't work. The clerk was happy to try it as usual, I put in the last 4 digits, but the system didn't take it. She said there was a system-wide change that will stop the Visa Debit cards from working in the future. There were too many counterfeit Visa debit cards."

Any truth to it or a clueless CSR?
Clueless. Or the PIN were wrong, or the location was just having payment processing issues.

I stopped at 3 WM NM today. Got MO at 2 of them. No trouble at all with split debits.

The 3rd however has a new manager. My favorite CSR said "we now have to check all bank debits that they have your name on it due to fraud." Putting that location on the shelf for a few months to see if they relax or the manager leaves.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:26 am

The WM's by me have switched to an electronic transaction form. No more paper. The form triggers automatically on the terminal when the MO purchase is $3K. Because of this, they have implemented only one MO transaction per day policy.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:18 pm

I bought at two of my regular walmarts on Saturday. No problems at all with my staples visa giftcards from giftcardmall.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by liquid85
Same thing happened to my wife and I today. She bought a Walmart Visa issued by green dot bank and tried to get a MO at WM and it was declined. I tried the same thing at another WM in town, same result. I've bought thousands of dollars of those cards without issue until today.
Did you try it again? Those cards issued by Greendot does work in my WM.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by hickson
Did you try it again? Those cards issued by Greendot does work in my WM.
Yeah they worked after that day. Im back up and running. I have no idea what happened since it was two walmarts/two towns, same day. But we've bought more since and turned them into money orders at those same walmarts.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:03 pm

I was told Visa Gift Cards are no longer allowed by the system also by a Yellow Vest (Manager?) at my normally very MO friendly Walmart today and he wouldn't even let me try. Then I came back a few hours later and my normal friendly CSR person was there so I had him try and it was successful. Not sure if this is sign of things to come or hopefully just a rogue Yellow Vest trying to be over protective.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by jbui1018
and he wouldn't even let me try
Did he grab your arm when you were swiping ?! That is assault.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by jbui1018
I was told Visa Gift Cards are no longer allowed by the system also by a Yellow Vest (Manager?) at my normally very MO friendly Walmart today and he wouldn't even let me try. Then I came back a few hours later and my normal friendly CSR person was there so I had him try and it was successful. Not sure if this is sign of things to come or hopefully just a rogue Yellow Vest trying to be over protective.
As far as a know, Walmart has been having some fraud training discussions (from reading here). Many less than intelligent people don't know how to interpret things correctly....

My WM just increased loading to 5K a day, its really a YMMV situation out there.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Did he grab your arm when you were swiping ?! That is assault.
Well, not exactly, lol, at this particular Walmart, they always ask me to show the cards and verify a name is on it. Which is fine with me because my cards have my name on it, but this time he looked at it more closely and told me that Gift Cards are no longer allowed. So I just told him that this is new and that I've just did it the other day. He said the system would no longer allow it as of yesterday. Clearly, he was wrong because I got it to work a few hours later with another CSR, but just wanted to let the group know.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:32 pm

What ARE these Yellow Vest People? There were hardly any of them at my local WM, but now I see more and more of them infiltrating the store. I am hesitant to buy my MOs when one of them is at the Money Center - simply because I heard/read so many negative things about them.
But who ARE they? They can't be all managers - there are too many of them. Are they specially trained to scrutinize your transactions and to reject GCs?
Old Jul 1, 2017, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by in4tar
What ARE these Yellow Vest People? There were hardly any of them at my local WM, but now I see more and more of them infiltrating the store. I am hesitant to buy my MOs when one of them is at the Money Center - simply because I heard/read so many negative things about them.
But who ARE they? They can't be all managers - there are too many of them. Are they specially trained to scrutinize your transactions and to reject GCs?
yes. they are the money order police. you should retire before they enlist you into the club. they were all msers once, now the popo.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:32 am

What ARE these Yellow Vest People?
But who ARE they?
Managers in their own minds.
Former cart-runners with CBT training.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
In my case, the yellow vest managers in training or semi managers or semi bosses (I really do not know what they are in the Wally corporate ladder) have been popping up in my two main Wally Worlds. The thing is that the yellow vest people are the same CSR s I have been dealing with since 3 years ago, when they were still dressed in total blue. I MS in the middle of nowhere Mid West, where rotation at Wally is way less than at Miami. So, I always look forward to them, as they know me and know how to split my transaction for my usual MO of $1,000 or $999.32, depending on my carrying the $0.68 cents cash or not

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.