Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.
The 2018 thread is here.

THIS IS A WIKI FOR AND OLD THREAD AND IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as debit.

-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
-Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes > $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart.

The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you.

MO fee is usually 70 cents each. Subtract from your total or pay in cash.

Start slow and buy one MO to see how it works. Your store or cashier may work different and have rules that other store do not have.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Stoughton
What, exactly, do her English skills have to do with anything?
She works customer service desk, not restocking beer isle. It involves conversing with people. I had to repeat "I need money order for $919.00" three times before she got it right and then she got on her high horse and told me the obvious BS about 1 mo per day. I should have called the manager.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by teammjs
Interesting experience this morning.

Went to go-to cashier on way to work. Same person I've been buying MOs from once or twice a week for at least a year. Also, have almost always used VGC from GiftCerticates dot com since they have my name on them.

Anyway, we were making chit-chat this morning, and some comment made on system speed or something, and the cashier says "yeah, and the system is doing something weird saying you're using a gift card".

The way she said it, seemed like it was definitely something new, but this is the first time I've heard any WM cashier mention they could see it was a debit gift card, so not sure if this is new, but a little concerning they may start blocking at least the cards GC sells.
At the stores I go to, the cashiers can tell it's a gc. Something pops up on their side of the screen. Most of the time they don't notice because they're busy doing something else.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: UA gold
Originally Posted by Fly1Away1
At the stores I go to, the cashiers can tell it's a gc. Something pops up on their side of the screen. Most of the time they don't notice because they're busy doing something else.
So basically this is not something new?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: DL, Amex MR
Originally Posted by Fly1Away1
As a wild guess, I noticed at my stores it says "Credit converted to Debit" or something like that right under each split on the screen on my side. I've always wondered why. Could be a giveaway that it's a gc.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by satz
As a wild guess, I noticed at my stores it says "Credit converted to Debit" or something like that right under each split on the screen on my side. I've always wondered why. Could be a giveaway that it's a gc.
It means they typed in 500 and hit debit key before you swiped. If they do it after you swipe it doesn't happen. Either way it means nothing.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: DL, Amex MR
Originally Posted by bar19900
It means they typed in 500 and hit debit key before you swiped. If they do it after you swipe it doesn't happen. Either way it means nothing.
ok, that's good to know
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:26 pm

Fly1Away1,

Out of curiosity, do you do split payments?

The only thing I did unusual today was I did a split payment MO, then since I had a lone 500 card remaining, did one more MO that did not involve a split pay. This is the only time I recall NOT doing a split pay at WM since My normal pattern is to do 2 split MOs each stop. Maybe the message isn't as clear for them to see if they're managing a spilt payment.

Good to hesr it doesnt sound like a new "enhancement" to try to prevent VGCs from being used.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:43 pm

I always do splits. Once when I was ringing with a new csr, they said "you keep swiping the same card". For the csr's that pay attention to the screen, sometimes they'll have a confused look when they see their screen. Not sure what they are seeing but they are seeing something. I haven't been to wm in a few days. I'll have to make a stop today.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by ThePointsCollector
She works customer service desk, not restocking beer isle. It involves conversing with people. I had to repeat "I need money order for $919.00" three times before she got it right and then she got on her high horse and told me the obvious BS about 1 mo per day. I should have called the manager.
Walmarts are not required to only hire people who speak perfect English. People working at WM customer service desk earn in SoCal minimum wage and they deal with a lot of BS from customers. Also, the store managers can set their own money center's rules depending on a location, history of stolen CCs or DCs etc.

Just wondering why would you want to call the manager? Because she had hard time understand what you were saying? Or because she said 1 MO per day? How many MOs did you want? It looks like you asked for just one for $919.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ThePointsCollector
Yeah, you do that and let us know how it all works out for you.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:55 pm

I have found that jotting the amount of MOs (or BP amounts) on a piece of paper & giving it to cashier is helpful. Fewer mistakes.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:27 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by tuphat
I have found that jotting the amount of MOs (or BP amounts) on a piece of paper & giving it to cashier is helpful. Fewer mistakes.
+1
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:38 pm

Exactly, just like bank robbers do. I'm glad you out.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:59 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I've found that the best thing to do is to say one thing at a time. Tell them the amount of the MO, and let them enter it. Only then do you say how much you want to put on the first card. Let them enter it, and swipe/PIN. Then say how much you want on the second card, and so on. If you give them too many numbers at once, they get overwhelmed.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
I've found that the best thing to do is to say one thing at a time. Tell them the amount of the MO, and let them enter it. Only then do you say how much you want to put on the first card. Let them enter it, and swipe/PIN. Then say how much you want on the second card, and so on. If you give them too many numbers at once, they get overwhelmed.
my go to WM know what we MSers do. As soon as I say 2 MOs for 999.30, they ask if it's 500 a swipe!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.