Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.
The 2018 thread is here.

THIS IS A WIKI FOR AND OLD THREAD AND IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as debit.

-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
-Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes > $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart.

The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you.

MO fee is usually 70 cents each. Subtract from your total or pay in cash.

Start slow and buy one MO to see how it works. Your store or cashier may work different and have rules that other store do not have.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Originally Posted by randomdude
It's common. Some CSR will even inspect the card front and back looking for the word gift.
Legally change your name to Gift Card?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
My sole liquidation source for many years has been my good ol' reliable local WM. I sleep very well at night.

If that store closed tomorrow, then plan B would be regular spend with my VGCs.

I don't think that I am exactly walking on the wild side.
Yes there's always organic spend, but getting caught with 1 set of simon's would be a pain to for organic spend.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by wrinkle7
if you haven't already, start a log of who you spoke to on the phone, time etc for EVERYTHING. Do not be stupid about this, its very important if you run into issues on your refund. These companies could gaf about you. Word to the wise.
These pos make paypal look like a charity...
Can't stress this enough. This was great advice and I missed a few detail I should have tracked, like the receipt from the register timeout. However, my detail here did help piece it together. I plan on trying despite not having everything; worst case they say no and I easily have mined enough UR points that I am fine with this even if not happy.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by cajunguy
Legally change your name to Gift Card?
This made me laugh pretty hard, and I may actually consider it.
cajunguy likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:05 am
soy

Programs: various
My main WM has gone to a single swipe / no VGC card policy. Happened over a couple of months. I think one or 2 employees started it off and it gradually spread to all.

Even some who used to joke with me about earning air miles no longer will allow it.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:37 pm

how many MO's do you usually buy at once? I've been doing one and coming back another day.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Originally Posted by jayoxd
how many MO's do you usually buy at once? I've been doing one and coming back another day.
It's what ever you feel comfortable doing. Some will do many and some will do 1 or 2 per day. Test what you and the people at the Money Center will feel comfortable doing.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by jayoxd
It depends on the store policy. The stores by me don't allow more than one transaction for MO's, so that limits me to two @ $1K each. If you live near a store that still uses paper cash transaction forms, you could theoretically do more if they allow it.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:44 pm

I did my first Wally MO. I must say its was a big nerve racking at the beginning. But i decided to go to a Walmart that i know doesnt have a lot of people. No lines for the service center, guy asked me what i wanted, told him i wanted an MO, asked me how much i want, told him 499.(i know i should have said 499.30), didnt even ask me debit card or anything, swipe my VGC, transaction approved walked out with my MO within a min.

I can get used to this! now to buy more VGC fee free! :]
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt
Originally Posted by BuBu4
I did my first Wally MO. I must say its was a big nerve racking at the beginning. But i decided to go to a Walmart that i know doesnt have a lot of people. No lines for the service center, guy asked me what i wanted, told him i wanted an MO, asked me how much i want, told him 499.(i know i should have said 499.30), didnt even ask me debit card or anything, swipe my VGC, transaction approved walked out with my MO within a min.

I can get used to this! now to buy more VGC fee free! :]
where are you getting fee free vgcs?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by shitrus
where are you getting fee free vgcs?
macerich mall

they sell sunrise VGCs. offer started 8/14 until 8/19.

YMMV as to draining them at WM. NO GO at PO according to a lot of reports.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
macerich mall

ymmv due to being turned away from cashiers?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Mamibear
macerich mall

oh

womp womp. none near me. oh well
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: Too many to list
wm employees are the best. today I got "1 MO per day" BS from new barely speaking English lady. LOL.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ThePointsCollector
wm employees are the best. today I got "1 MO per day" BS from new barely speaking English lady. LOL.
What, exactly, do her English skills have to do with anything?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.