Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.
The 2018 thread is here.

THIS IS A WIKI FOR AND OLD THREAD AND IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as debit.

-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
-Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes > $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart.

The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you.

MO fee is usually 70 cents each. Subtract from your total or pay in cash.

Start slow and buy one MO to see how it works. Your store or cashier may work different and have rules that other store do not have.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by druryvanek26
CVS sells VGCs that can be used at WM? They are Metabank? Sorry if this was answered already...my first experience was buying Metabank from giftcardmall.com. I'd rather buy locally if I could. Thanks!
NO, Visa Gift cards from CVS will NOT work at Walmart.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cdog999
So, I talked with the money manager today. I asked if there was anything that could be done but I didn't want to get mgmt involved at all and was willing to just eat the loss. She said since it wasn't a cash transaction there wasn't anything she could do on her side. Recommended that I dispute the charge. I asked her if that would end up getting their store's mgmt involved since I want to avoid that at all costs. She said that it wouldn't. Not sure what I'm going to do.

It was a transaction that was aborted, but PIN was entered and money taken off card.
doubt I would walk away from $500, even if it meant burning that location. If its only place to MO for miles upon miles then Id work out how much Id have to MS in order to get my $$ back, most likley Id rather not MS any longer

The other day I swiped #1 inputted my Pin and then swiped #2 and then the csr wanted to see my DCs, I showed my real DC and no choice but to show the GC, she said sorry and we waited till the person with the key came over to cx the transaction. I called up and both cards had all the $$ still on them, so I think till everything is done and the csr pushes what they need to in order to complete the transaction no $$ are removed from a card

Next stop no problems but the MO didnt print, (different cards then the 1st) the mgr came and told the csr simply do it all again using ca$h and give him the MO, was hoping for ca$h instead but at least I got the MO
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by FrankMS
The fact that you addressed it with the cash office tells me that it will bother you too much to eat the $500. In that case, you might as well get anyone involved who will help get your money back. Despite what the cash office said, there's a good chance that management will find out about the dispute now anyway.
IMHO, 100% for sure management will find out once you say you don't want them involved.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:23 pm

Now I'm confused. Mine said specifically that there wasn't anything she could do on her end since it was a debit transaction and not a cash transaction. Said the best step for me would be to just put in a dispute on the charge since the transaction was cancelled.
That's odd that Cash dept personnel told you there's nothing she can do since I was told that debit transactions are treated like cash transactions that's why when there are issues, they give refunds in cash instead of putting it back on one's DC. If that was the cash manager you dealt with, you have no choice but to escalate this to upper management. You may get a favorable resolution.

PS: Just wondering why you even mentioned that you were willing to eat the loss? $500 is not a small amount for anyone to just let go UNLESS you have a 'negative history' with that store that you prefer not to be uncovered? If there's none, by all means get back your $500 even if it means losing that store for MS activities.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by craz
doubt I would walk away from $500, even if it meant burning that location. If its only place to MO for miles upon miles then Id work out how much Id have to MS in order to get my $$ back, most likley Id rather not MS any longer

The other day I swiped #1 inputted my Pin and then swiped #2 and then the csr wanted to see my DCs, I showed my real DC and no choice but to show the GC, she said sorry and we waited till the person with the key came over to cx the transaction. I called up and both cards had all the $$ still on them, so I think till everything is done and the csr pushes what they need to in order to complete the transaction no $$ are removed from a card

Next stop no problems but the MO didnt print, (different cards then the 1st) the mgr came and told the csr simply do it all again using ca$h and give him the MO, was hoping for ca$h instead but at least I got the MO
i wasnt following bar19900 and cdog999 story completely, but i think theirs is a diff situation.

but i think what you said in 2nd paragraph should be a cautionary tale to everyone here. it's great everything work out for you, but i think sometimes it had not for others.
i have had a few occasions, where i was 'caught' using gebit mid-way through the 4 swipes, and then was told sternly i cannot proceed any longer, and they want to cancel the transaction.

bc i feared the uncertainty and long process involved in getting my money back to the gebit even after transaction is aborted, usually i pacify the WM cashiers by saying i will pay the rest with my real dc. i always have a real dc with enough $XXXX as backup for situations like this. nobody has objected me completing my transaction with dc in all the times i have asked - it is as if i m 'forgiven' instantly for using gc. i guess i rather suck it up by paying with dc, than to risk not having my money back at all.

but at kroger, i can confirm, based on personal experience, that money is not taken out from card until all the swipes are completed. thus i feel more comfortable not completing all my 'swipes' there if caught mid-way.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Mamibear
That's odd that Cash dept personnel told you there's nothing she can do since I was told that debit transactions are treated like cash transactions that's why when there are issues, they give refunds in cash
The one time I had an issue similar the manager gave me a $1000 cash refund.

Sounds like the above store didn't know how to process when a glitch happens.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:54 pm

That's odd that Cash dept personnel told you there's nothing she can do since I was told that debit transactions are treated like cash transactions that's why when there are issues, they give refunds in cash instead of putting it back on one's DC. If that was the cash manager you dealt with, you have no choice but to escalate this to upper management. You may get a favorable resolution.

PS: Just wondering why you even mentioned that you were willing to eat the loss? $500 is not a small amount for anyone to just let go UNLESS you have a 'negative history' with that store that you prefer not to be uncovered? If there's none, by all means get back your $500 even if it means losing that store for MS activities.
Yeah, I thought debit and cash transactions were the same as well.

No negative history. Just don't want to burn any bridges. 500 is small in the grand scheme.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:01 pm

No negative history. Just don't want to burn any bridges. 500 is small in the grand scheme.
If that's the case, you got your solution right there. JUST DROP IT, no need for you to do anything IF you really mean to let go of that "small amount".
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:56 pm

If that's the case, you got your solution right there. JUST DROP IT, no need for you to do anything IF you really mean to let go of that "small amount".
I hear you. Not suggesting its small, i mean it is $500 out of my pocket. But, the cost of burning a bridge is much higher for me given the area I'm in. Now if the other 2 cards didn't get refunded and I was out $1500 I might have a different approach.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:55 pm

I liquidated $4K at one WM today. No questions asked. You just have to know your store and wait for right clerk.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
I hear you. Not suggesting its small, i mean it is $500 out of my pocket. But, the cost of burning a bridge is much higher for me given the area I'm in. Now if the other 2 cards didn't get refunded and I was out $1500 I might have a different approach.
500 is 1.5 months of profit from my ms activity ... I would probably eat it if I thought it meant burning the location forever.

But I'm fortunate to live in a ms oasis and I would press management to make it right. I have taken lately to doing 4 receipts of 2 * 999.30 MOs at a time for ~8k. As said above, you need to know your local climate and your cashiers.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:32 am

Had a couple of US Bank cards declined today. Calked the number and get message that system is down for maintenance. Checked website and after entering number it gives me an error message. Performing maintenace in tbe middle of the day does not sound like a planned thing, soundslike an unexpected emergency downtime.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA gold
Any success TODAY? One of my WM pos said something like unable to process. Rep said she cannot process since this morning. Haven't tried other yet. I don't know if it is a single store issue.

Last edited by ezakipocky; Jul 22, 2017 at 2:31 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 22, 2017, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by ezakipocky
Any success TODAY? One of my WM pos said something like unable to process. Rep said she cannot process since this morning. Haven't tried other yet. I don't know if it is a single store issue.
I had a typo in my post above. I have had success today with US Bank cards, but every Metabank card has timed out today.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by knopfler
I had a typo in my post above. I have had success today with US Bank cards, but every Metabank card has timed out today.
Not sure what is going on at WM, but I just tried 20 mins ago to buy 2K of MOs using metabankVGCs cards,.......the first of my 4 cards went through fine but then all the other 3 cards timed out.......not sure what is going on especially as the first card went through fine though seeing another post from someone else with the same problem is going to stop me going to another WM tonight as it looks suspiciously like a system thing...The CSR at WM said it is likely my cards but I don't believe that....I hope this isn't the end for VGCs at WM though if it was I am sure my first card wouldn't have gone through.......I would be interested to hear from anyone who has SUCCESSFULLY used metabank VGCs today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.