Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.
The 2018 thread is here.

THIS IS A WIKI FOR AND OLD THREAD AND IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as debit.

-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
-Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes > $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart.

The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you.

MO fee is usually 70 cents each. Subtract from your total or pay in cash.

Start slow and buy one MO to see how it works. Your store or cashier may work different and have rules that other store do not have.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by hiima
No problem for me in Socal at my 2 friendly WMs, but then again I've gone at least 3-4 times a week every week to both and they start my MO process while I'm still in line. So, they know I'm not doing shady business, just vgc.

I'm pretty certain that I'll be able to MS from my WMs until they hard code vgc blocks. I've had the store manager stand next to me while I was buying MOs before.
WM is "friendly" unlit someone comes along with VGCs bought with a stolen CC. That's what happened to one of mine "friendly" WMs. Now they won't accept VGCs with my name on it.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by cashcyclone
What was the amount of each MO supposed to be? If one of them was 499.30, it looks like MoneyGram got the payment but MO did not print out. In that case the only way is cash refund by WM.
No, no, no. It never got to the point of printing out a MO. The entire transaction was cancelled. No receipt. Transaction was cancelled and 2 of the 3 cards tried were refunded properly within 20 minutes.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by cdog999
No, no, no. It never got to the point of printing out a MO. The entire transaction was cancelled. No receipt. Transaction was cancelled and 2 of the 3 cards tried were refunded properly within 20 minutes.
Receipt prints out after MO is printed. How much were MOs each?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:20 pm

Receipt prints out after MO is printed. How much were MOs each?
It never got to the point where the MO would print. Balance owed was $2K at beginning and was still sitting at $2K when the transaction was aborted.

My go to person actually provided a print out of the when the timeouts occurred to me. I'm going to wait until next week before I do anything. I'm still very surprised that it didn't go back to the card like the other 2 cards. They were all GC.com cards.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:06 pm

WM is "friendly" unlit someone comes along with VGCs bought with a stolen CC. That's what happened to one of mine "friendly" WMs. Now they won't accept VGCs with my name on it.
Same here. I had a "very friendly" WM at where I could buy virtually any amount of VGC (8k was the most I tried at once). With MO I was told I could buy as many as the register allowed so basically unlimited. Until about 6 weeks ago when they got hit with stolen CC's. Now all VGC are debit or cash and no VGC for MO.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I thought debit with pin transactions couldn't be charged back
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
I thought debit with pin transactions couldn't be charged back
+1, as with Chip & Pin in Europe. Thought a PIN transaction was the problem of the prepaid card issuer (liability), in case it was a GC. But maybe things are different and I just do not know. Why would Wally have problems with PIN transactions and be liable for them.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by carlitos
+1, as with Chip & Pin in Europe. Thought a PIN transaction was the problem of the prepaid card issuer (liability), in case it was a GC. But maybe things are different and I just do not know. Why would Wally have problems with PIN transactions and be liable for them.
Even if they are not liable, they still need to cooperate with investigations into stolen funds, which I am sure is a lot of paperwork and headache.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:54 am

No problem for me in Socal at my 2 friendly WMs, but then again I've gone at least 3-4 times a week every week to both and they start my MO process while I'm still in line. So, they know I'm not doing shady business, just vgc.

I'm pretty certain that I'll be able to MS from my WMs until they hard code vgc blocks. I've had the store manager stand next to me while I was buying MOs before.
I am so well known by the money center at the WMs I frequent, that they too start plugging in the numbers into the register before I open my mouth.

So I am looking to branch off from WM and try my hand at the Vanilla VGCs and get MOs at the USPS but which other stores generally accept credit cards for purchasing them.....I tried to buy one yesterday at a regular register at WM and I was told I had to go back to the Money center to purchase it.....so I decided to not bother as I didn't fancy having to queue again after just getting my MOs.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by cuthroat
Same here. I had a "very friendly" WM at where I could buy virtually any amount of VGC (8k was the most I tried at once). With MO I was told I could buy as many as the register allowed so basically unlimited. Until about 6 weeks ago when they got hit with stolen CC's. Now all VGC are debit or cash and no VGC for MO.
I'm dreading this happening at my regular WM. They are very MS friendly including with VGC sales (although I often have to ask someone to grab a pack of VGCs from the back as they don't do a good job of keeping them stocked on the GC rack). Between MO and BP I probably do 80-100k/month there. But they never, ever check my ID when doing a VGC purchase. Never had my ID checked when buying VGC at a 7-11 either. Who trains these people?!
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by leeds1972
I am so well known by the money center at the WMs I frequent, that they too start plugging in the numbers into the register before I open my mouth.

So I am looking to branch off from WM and try my hand at the Vanilla VGCs and get MOs at the USPS but which other stores generally accept credit cards for purchasing them.....I tried to buy one yesterday at a regular register at WM and I was told I had to go back to the Money center to purchase it.....so I decided to not bother as I didn't fancy having to queue again after just getting my MOs.
When I tried to buy Vanilla VGC at WM about a year ago and they were debit and cash only. Other VGC such as greendot worked fine. It could have just been my local WM, just giving you a heads up if it;s the same for you.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by cuthroat
When I tried to buy Vanilla VGC at WM about a year ago and they were debit and cash only. Other VGC such as greendot worked fine. It could have just been my local WM, just giving you a heads up if it;s the same for you.
I tried purchasing a Vanilla MCGC a few months ago and it was also cash or debit only. Greendot and Sunrise VGCs are fine with credit.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by bodiddely
I tried purchasing a Vanilla MCGC a few months ago and it was also cash or debit only. Greendot and Sunrise VGCs are fine with credit.
OK that is good to know but I am not sure I actually understand........why would it be you can only use cash to buy Vanilla GCs at WM and Greendot/Sunrise can be bought with a credit card.....that makes no sense......I would of expected either all or none.

.....so if WM is out for buying the usable GCs, at the post office does walgreens / CVS / somewhere else accept credit cards to purchase these GCs and by these GCs I mean only the ones that actually work at the post office according to some folks which I believe is only the bankcorp Vanilla VGC.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by cdog999
It never got to the point where the MO would print. Balance owed was $2K at beginning and was still sitting at $2K when the transaction was aborted.

My go to person actually provided a print out of the when the timeouts occurred to me. I'm going to wait until next week before I do anything. I'm still very surprised that it didn't go back to the card like the other 2 cards. They were all GC.com cards.
If you want your $500 back, you're going to have to have the cash manager at that location look over records from that day. If they can't find your money, they will get higher management involved and may even go corporate. This may get many upper management eyes looking at your four swipe transaction. You may get your money back, but you take a risk of losing that location permanently.

The question you have to ask yourself is $500 worth losing a location? I've eaten 500 at some locations, but not others. I lost a KM over 500, but it was after the 5B days, so I wasn't too upset with it.

If you do decide to address it, be polite, honest, and never refer to the cards as gift cards, only debit cards.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by FrankMS
If you want your $500 back, you're going to have to have the cash manager at that location look over records from that day. If they can't find your money, they will get higher management involved and may even go corporate. This may get many upper management eyes looking at your four swipe transaction. You may get your money back, but you take a risk of losing that location permanently.

The question you have to ask yourself is $500 worth losing a location? I've eaten 500 at some locations, but not others. I lost a KM over 500, but it was after the 5B days, so I wasn't too upset with it.

If you do decide to address it, be polite, honest, and never refer to the cards as gift cards, only debit cards.
They know what I'm doing at the location. I'll likely ask them to look into but will tell them up front I'm willing to just eat the 500 if its going to be a hassle. They gave me a copy of the transaction log where I see trying to use that card twice along with 2 others (which got the refund properly). I'm definitely going to tread very lightly here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.