Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2017 onward. The previous discussion can be found here.

UPDATED Oct-2018: A lot of CVS store take CCs for GC purchases. Some stores check CCs and scan driver's license (with hand scanner). The best GCs are OVVGC and VVGC. The only differences are card designs. The current fee is $5.95 for $25 - $500 variable loading. If prompted for PIN, enter the last 4 digits.

Look for mobile shipping portal with CVS bonus. Certain CCs have category bonus.

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads.
See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

Transaction limits since October 20, 2014:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $ 2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period. (Some are reporting limit of $1000 per 24 hrs as of 2/2018)?
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.

System error after giving them license If you keep getting this error, there could be a problem with the magnetic strip on your license. Have them use the wand to scan it instead.
Print Wikipost

CVS Master Thread(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by bulletin2007
Does CVS have $1000 limit per transaction now? Today I went to a CVS which I usually visited to purchase 3x$500 vanilla gc (green cover with a gift box). The first two $500 vgc were activated successfully. However, the last $500 showed error in cashier's computer. It also showed the error message for the last $500 vgc in the receipt. Talked with cashier for this issue. The POS screen then asked me to insert my card for refund (don't know whether it's done by cashier or automatically). Never met this kind of thing before. Glad that I didn't go away when cashier told me error message even the receipt was printed out.
I bought 4 $500 VGC this afternoon no problem.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I had 6 Bluebirds and 2 serves, didn't matter what combo I did all cards got shut down, all cards were linked to different checking and savings account, the only things common with all cards was loading VGC.
When did your BB and serve cards get shutdown?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rct12345
When did your BB and serve cards get shutdown?
3 years ago for Serve, 4 years ago for BB
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by bulletin2007
Does CVS have $1000 limit per transaction now? Today I went to a CVS which I usually visited to purchase 3x$500 vanilla gc (green cover with a gift box). The first two $500 vgc were activated successfully. However, the last $500 showed error in cashier's computer. It also showed the error message for the last $500 vgc in the receipt. Talked with cashier for this issue. The POS screen then asked me to insert my card for refund (don't know whether it's done by cashier or automatically). Never met this kind of thing before. Glad that I didn't go away when cashier told me error message even the receipt was printed out.
Had three similar experiences at CVS the past week.

CVS 1: Girlfriend attempted to buy 3x $500 OV VGC. First two activated, third one triggered an error message. She got a refund for the $505.95. Meanwhile I was attempting to buy a few OV VGC at another register, and the system wouldn't let the clerk even scan my DL before throwing an error message. So we somehow managed to kill both registers in one fell swoop. (Or swipe, as it were.)

CVS 2: I attempt to buy 4x $500 OV VGC. Cashier tells me it works better to scan two per transaction. I oblige and purchase the 4 VGC without issue over 2 transactions of $1011.90 each.

CVS 3: I attempt to buy 4x $500 OV VGC in a single transaction. The first two cards activate, the second two cards both have error messages. I pay the $2023.80 and get a refund for $1011.90 in a separate transaction, and take the activated cards.

So if you run into similar issues, I'd recommend just splitting into two transactions of two cards each. In NoVA for what it's worth.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by Franholio
Had three similar experiences at CVS the past week.

CVS 1: Girlfriend attempted to buy 3x $500 OV VGC. First two activated, third one triggered an error message. She got a refund for the $505.95. Meanwhile I was attempting to buy a few OV VGC at another register, and the system wouldn't let the clerk even scan my DL before throwing an error message. So we somehow managed to kill both registers in one fell swoop. (Or swipe, as it were.)

CVS 2: I attempt to buy 4x $500 OV VGC. Cashier tells me it works better to scan two per transaction. I oblige and purchase the 4 VGC without issue over 2 transactions of $1011.90 each.

CVS 3: I attempt to buy 4x $500 OV VGC in a single transaction. The first two cards activate, the second two cards both have error messages. I pay the $2023.80 and get a refund for $1011.90 in a separate transaction, and take the activated cards.

So if you run into similar issues, I'd recommend just splitting into two transactions of two cards each. In NoVA for what it's worth.
Thanks for the DP, i will try to limit 2 cards each time to avoid any error.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:06 am

Does CVS report L3 to AMEX? Trying to hit MSR on one of my cards. I bought $1000 with Wells Fargo biz about a week ago (another card I'm doing MSR with) and it showed as Card Present on the transaction details even though I bought another item with it. Not worry about it since I'm not doing MS with it just MSR. But maybe is just to WF.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Semper0369
Does CVS report L3 to AMEX? Trying to hit MSR on one of my cards. I bought $1000 with Wells Fargo biz about a week ago (another card I'm doing MSR with) and it showed as Card Present on the transaction details even though I bought another item with it. Not worry about it since I'm not doing MS with it just MSR. But maybe is just to WF.
If you're worried about it, there's a really easy way to determine this. Buy something from CVS that isn't a GC with that Amex, then go into your online account and see if the transaction details contains specific information about the individual items you bought.

Of course, just because L3 data isn't reported doesn't mean an algorithm or a human won't notice it. If you have several purchases that are a multiple of $505.95, it'll be really obvious to any human looking at it that you were buying VGCs.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:47 am

Tried couple CVS in nor Cal. Register wouldn't take chase freedom. Cashiers from both stores say no cc on gc.
was buying 500*3. DL Swiped. Not over velocity limit
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by kaiotes
Tried couple CVS in nor Cal. Register wouldn't take chase freedom. Cashiers from both stores say no cc on gc.
Are you saying the cashiers let you try it even though they said no cc on gc? Is it possible Chase declined the transaction?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:26 pm

Just purchased 4x$500 VGCs at my local CVS a couple hours ago on Amex OBC. BAU.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by kaiotes
I've also had trouble buying at CVS with a recently product changed Freedom even when calling ahead and notifying of a "large spend notification," on several occasions. Either the system thinks its a new card because of the recent product change (it was a CSR originally) or Chase might be intentionally blocking these large purchases at pharmacies. I had no problem switching to an AMEX and having it go through. Anyone have recent success with a Freedom in pharmacies for large purchases?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by ECCM
I've also had trouble buying at CVS with a recently product changed Freedom even when calling ahead and notifying of a "large spend notification," on several occasions. Either the system thinks its a new card because of the recent product change (it was a CSR originally) or Chase might be intentionally blocking these large purchases at pharmacies. I had no problem switching to an AMEX and having it go through. Anyone have recent success with a Freedom in pharmacies for large purchases?
I had no problem with my Freedom @ CVS, but that was mid-January. Nothing recent.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by ECCM
Had an issue with P2 CSR x2 $500 said i probably had to call the bank, my CVS is pretty chill with CC payments, hope that didnt raise a flag there but we will se when i go back this weekend. She got a txt saying something about fraud so i hope that does not happen to often.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:53 pm

It may block transaction if you charge large amount outside your home area.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: Starwood/Hyatt/IHG-PLAT/Hilton-DIA
which cvs prepaid debit cards are allowed to be linked to paypal, currently?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.