Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2017 onward. The previous discussion can be found here.

UPDATED Oct-2018: A lot of CVS store take CCs for GC purchases. Some stores check CCs and scan driver's license (with hand scanner). The best GCs are OVVGC and VVGC. The only differences are card designs. The current fee is $5.95 for $25 - $500 variable loading. If prompted for PIN, enter the last 4 digits.

Look for mobile shipping portal with CVS bonus. Certain CCs have category bonus.

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads.
See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

Transaction limits since October 20, 2014:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $ 2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period. (Some are reporting limit of $1000 per 24 hrs as of 2/2018)?
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.

System error after giving them license If you keep getting this error, there could be a problem with the magnetic strip on your license. Have them use the wand to scan it instead.
Print Wikipost

CVS Master Thread(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:42 am

About to open Chase United Biz and try this with my local CVS.

Last edited by dd987; Jan 12, 2019 at 3:12 pm
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:26 pm

Do most of you liquidate CVS VVGC at grocery stores? Or do they work for MO at WM? (WM thread seems to indicate that they don’t work).
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by alanisrox69
Do most of you liquidate CVS VVGC at grocery stores? Or do they work for MO at WM? (WM thread seems to indicate that they don’t work).
I usually liquidate thru FD/Serve
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah
What's the FD? I was going to do amex serve but that 7$ monthly fee was a turn off, but not that big of a deal.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:02 pm

FD = Family Dollar. Dollar General is also a popular option for loading Serve. Walmart works as well.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:11 pm

FD = Family Dollar. Dollar General is also a popular option for loading Serve. Walmart works as well.
Thanks, I was reading about the serves and stuff on the churning subreddit. They mentioned something from FD that has no monthly fee but I couldn't find it. Just load it with VGC or CC and bill pay or withdraw it. easily than keeping multiple vgc
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
So how have you not been shut down by AMEX?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Last I read Walmart is hard to get MO?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Last I read Walmart is hard to get MO?
Sorry. I meant you can load Serve at Walmart. But I don't think it works with Vanilla/OneVanila cards.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Sorry. I meant you can load Serve at Walmart. But I don't think it works with Vanilla/OneVanila cards.
So you are just loading Serve, again, how have you kept your card open? Mine got shut down and I only loaded it once with a VGC...
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:45 am

It got shut down after you load it? or after you try to use bill pay or withdraw? I was reading reddit amex server and seem like you have to be cautious and its sort of trail & error
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dd987
It got shut down after you load it? or after you try to use bill pay or withdraw? I was reading reddit amex server and seem like you have to be cautious and its sort of trail & error
I had 6 Bluebirds and 2 serves, didn't matter what combo I did all cards got shut down, all cards were linked to different checking and savings account, the only things common with all cards was loading VGC.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
So you are just loading Serve, again, how have you kept your card open? Mine got shut down and I only loaded it once with a VGC...
Don't know. Maybe I've been lucky. Maybe it's because I only have one Serve and no BB. Maybe it's because I've been depositing a lot more than I withdrawal, so the money's just accumulating. Most likely it's because I'm small potatoes and get no where near the limits. But mostly, I don't know.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:23 am

Don't know. Maybe I've been lucky. Maybe it's because I only have one Serve and no BB. Maybe it's because I've been depositing a lot more than I withdrawal, so the money's just accumulating. Most likely it's because I'm small potatoes and get no where near the limits. But mostly, I don't know.
Yeah, seem like that's the safe route. I was just going to do maybe 1-2k a month and withdraw or do bill pay. Not gonna try to max stuff out
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:39 pm

Does CVS have $1000 limit per transaction now? Today I went to a CVS which I usually visited to purchase 3x$500 vanilla gc (green cover with a gift box). The first two $500 vgc were activated successfully. However, the last $500 showed error in cashier's computer. It also showed the error message for the last $500 vgc in the receipt. Talked with cashier for this issue. The POS screen then asked me to insert my card for refund (don't know whether it's done by cashier or automatically). Never met this kind of thing before. Glad that I didn't go away when cashier told me error message even the receipt was printed out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.