Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2017 onward. The previous discussion can be found here.

UPDATED Oct-2018: A lot of CVS store take CCs for GC purchases. Some stores check CCs and scan driver's license (with hand scanner). The best GCs are OVVGC and VVGC. The only differences are card designs. The current fee is $5.95 for $25 - $500 variable loading. If prompted for PIN, enter the last 4 digits.

Look for mobile shipping portal with CVS bonus. Certain CCs have category bonus.

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads.
See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

Transaction limits since October 20, 2014:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $ 2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period. (Some are reporting limit of $1000 per 24 hrs as of 2/2018)?
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.

System error after giving them license If you keep getting this error, there could be a problem with the magnetic strip on your license. Have them use the wand to scan it instead.
Print Wikipost

CVS Master Thread(2017 onwards)

Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by AzLarry

I shopped last weekend in an area with stores that wasn’t listed and didn’t get any credit. Then in the past two days shopped in another area with stores listed and did get credit at a listed store.

Go go ahead and try on a small purchase but doubt it will work if the store location isn’t listed.
Aww I see - Thanks for that DP. I did see stores in my area listed on retailmenot so maybe I'll try that instead.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:53 am

Does anyone have any recent experience at CVS with doing more than 1k per transaction or per day? I see conflicting answers on 1k vs 2k and thus have never tried more than $1000 per day (2x500). Has anyone had success doing 1500 or 2000? I am referring to the OneVanilla cards with an Amex.

Thanks!
Old Nov 14, 2018, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by TrunksFull
Does anyone have any recent experience at CVS with doing more than 1k per transaction or per day? I see conflicting answers on 1k vs 2k and thus have never tried more than $1000 per day (2x500). Has anyone had success doing 1500 or 2000? I am referring to the OneVanilla cards with an Amex.

Thanks!
yes 1.5k works for me, YMMV.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:36 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Thanks!
In our area, store scans DL and the system tracks it. No way to get around it. Ask your SO to help you....
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:36 am

Thanks!
It is $2000 in gift cards every rolling 24 hours. Before fees. So, you can buy 4x500 at once, as long as you haven't bought another gift card in the previous 24 hours. Activation fees don't account, nor does regular merchandise. The 24 hour time window is across stores too, so you can't just go to another CVS and buy more cards.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dethkultur
It is $2000 in gift cards every rolling 24 hours. Before fees. So, you can buy 4x500 at once, as long as you haven't bought another gift card in the previous 24 hours. Activation fees don't account, nor does regular merchandise. The 24 hour time window is across stores too, so you can't just go to another CVS and buy more cards.
It varied by location. The limit is $500 in our location. This does not hurt since the 2% is just good for $500/day...
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by dethkultur
That's good to know. I just assumed the $2000 limit included everything. Thanks.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:05 pm

Thanks!
When Dosh had the recent 5%, no limit, I bought 4 cards in one transaction no problem. They did scan my ID, but I think they did that even when I only bought one card. I suggest you go to an out of the way srore and try $2000. Good luck!
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:22 am

Are VGC purchases auto blocked for Citi cards? Tried 3 different locations with TYP card, declined at POS.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by krisk17
Are VGC purchases auto blocked for Citi cards? Tried 3 different locations with TYP card, declined at POS.
No, I had a $505.95 purchase go through fine at CVS on Citi AA Biz. I did call ahead to tell them I'm making a purchase around $500 though.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by krisk17
Some CCs need to be educated for the new purchase. It is not normal to spend $500 at pharmacy or grocery store. Not Citi specific.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by RedSun
Some CCs need to be educated for the new purchase. It is not normal to spend $500 at pharmacy or grocery store. Not Citi specific.
It's becoming quite "normal" to spend that and more at grocery stores and pharmacies. I'm glad you haven't run into that yet. When your insurance refuses to pay for a brand that a team of doctors says would help you and you have to spend over $2000 on one bottle of the rx, your eyes will open. And, I see many families spending $500+ at the grocery stores. Some stock up, some buy expensive organics, some buy gifts for special occasions. Prices are rising. One pharmacist told me Big Pharma has been raising prices dramatically for the last decade. Finally, in September, that independent pharmacy had to raise prices on some items by 200% because they were losing money due to pharma, distributors and such. Congress will have to do something soon. Trump, like him or not, already warned Big Pharma. Now, maybe Congress will work with him to do something. I know some older folks who are now expats, living in countries where they can get what they need to live for so cheap and they don't even care that they lost Medicare. Our system is messed up more than ever. ACA may have seemingly helped some, but the end results are terrible for others. That bill never really did provide pre-existing condition coverage for everyone. The lobbyist convinced lawmakers at that time to leave a loophole in it that allowed grandfathered employer based plans in many states to exclude pre-existing up to 12 month all the while they expect you to pay premiums for no coverage of what a person really needed and that's why so many couldn't get coverage due to affordability. Since this is an ms related thread, this is on topic because stores and credit card issuers need to realize (some do) that there is "organic spend" that high due to these factors.

Last edited by Churnman; Nov 17, 2018 at 11:02 am
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:42 am
Suspended

DOSH is paying 1% on CVS now. Not attractive any more. Store purchase; VVGC (harder to liquidate); and store limit ($500/day here). Only good if you get CCs that pay at drug stores.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
DOSH is paying 1% on CVS now. Not attractive any more. Store purchase; VVGC (harder to liquidate); and store limit ($500/day here). Only good if you get CCs that pay at drug stores.
Depends on how much time you're spending doing it... Assuming 2% as your baseline earn rate, plus $10 Dosh, minus two 79c mo, you're netting $16.76. If you have a CVS that's on your normal route to/from work and can be in/out in 5-10 minutes that's ~$100/hr for your time.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by asot550
Depends on how much time you're spending doing it... Assuming 2% as your baseline earn rate, plus $10 Dosh, minus two 79c mo, you're netting $16.76. If you have a CVS that's on your normal route to/from work and can be in/out in 5-10 minutes that's ~$100/hr for your time.
The frustrating part is that it doesn't scale unless you start getting creative with ID's. That being said, 1% that tracks every time is waaay better than the spotty tracking of other cashback apps/portals. Plus I get the card in my hand and can use mobile wallet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.