Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2017 onward. The previous discussion can be found here.

UPDATED Oct-2018: A lot of CVS store take CCs for GC purchases. Some stores check CCs and scan driver's license (with hand scanner). The best GCs are OVVGC and VVGC. The only differences are card designs. The current fee is $5.95 for $25 - $500 variable loading. If prompted for PIN, enter the last 4 digits.

Look for mobile shipping portal with CVS bonus. Certain CCs have category bonus.

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads.
See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

Transaction limits since October 20, 2014:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $ 2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period. (Some are reporting limit of $1000 per 24 hrs as of 2/2018)?
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.

System error after giving them license If you keep getting this error, there could be a problem with the magnetic strip on your license. Have them use the wand to scan it instead.
Print Wikipost

CVS Master Thread(2017 onwards)

Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by jk2
So, is it safe to assume that daily limit now is $1K? I don't want to run in trouble with refunds, etc.
Any recent updates on this? I just tried 2k a few days ago in Charleston SC and it kicked the 2nd 2 cards back as a refund. Wouldn't ring up the 2nd set even though CSR was willing to try again, gave a cannot sell message.

Not sure if it's because I found a stash of 4.95 cards.... haven't bought a CVS in a long time, hope it's not $1k because that'll be the primary outlet for the new town we are moving to.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:15 pm

I just did three $500s at three CVS ($1500) along a strip yesterday afternoon. I was considering adding a fourth that is a little further out of the way, but don't know if they count the fees, which would kick it above the $2K threshold.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:13 pm

Four (4) VGCs at CVS @ $500 each wasn't a problem for me when I was purchasing them up until November 2017 (stopped going since USPS money orders were banned).
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:12 am
CDO
Suspended

Originally Posted by sam_goh
Any recent updates on this? I just tried 2k a few days ago in Charleston SC and it kicked the 2nd 2 cards back as a refund. Wouldn't ring up the 2nd set even though CSR was willing to try again, gave a cannot sell message.

Not sure if it's because I found a stash of 4.95 cards.... haven't bought a CVS in a long time, hope it's not $1k because that'll be the primary outlet for the new town we are moving to.
Ymmv but if hard coded it wont go through, there may be a velocity limit too
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Late night purchase seem to have a different fraud limit. $1k :/

Bought 30 consecutive days $2K no worries others in the day.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:08 pm

Good news. As of Friday 14th CVS now accepting Apple Pay at the register. All terminals should have little red sticker saying "Apple Pay accepted here."
cuthroat likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Unfortunately the CVS near my office doesn't let you get VGC at the self checkout, despite 1/2 the registers being self checkout. Anyone with any DPs on ringing up VGC at selfcheckout?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by sam_goh
Late night purchase seem to have a different fraud limit. $1k :/

Bought 30 consecutive days $2K no worries others in the day.
Is there any incentive to buy 60 k from the store instead of online like gc.com , like a cashback
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
Is there any incentive to buy 60 k from the store instead of online like gc.com , like a cashback
5x pharmacy (or grocery) bonus!
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
5x pharmacy (or grocery) bonus!
Please spill the beans How are you getting 5x at pharmacies past 50k?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by skanchur
I used to, but I no longer have a grocery to unload Vanilla's from grocery.

I have another OBC which is no longer available for new apps.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by skanchur
wells 5x?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:02 am

Surprised no one has posted in here, but the Dosh cashback app is doing 5% back at CVS for a week. Pertinent info on Doc's link below:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/dosh-...shback-at-cvs/

My thoughts on early DPs:

- started Oct 1, so presumably until Oct 8 but not confirmed.
- I asked Dosh Facebook, and they said no daily limit, so try to hit the full $2000 CVS limit.
- Those saying that purchase not tracking seem to have picked a CVS location not shown in Dosh app, so double check carefully.
- I believe it requires $25 min to cash out to bank account or PayPal. PP takes a few days.
- My test purchase for $400 VGC had $20.35 showing up in Dosh/e-mail notification within a few minutes of leaving the store.
- These are gonna be Vanillas, with $5.95 fees.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
What a hugeee moneymaker, absolutely fantastic to see the $50 notification this morning on $1k of VGC.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by hi55us
What a hugeee moneymaker, absolutely fantastic to see the $50 notification this morning on $1k of VGC.
Thanks for the DP. I think you're the first one posting success for $1k or more. And the first successful DP this morning.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.