Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2017 onward. The previous discussion can be found here.

UPDATED Oct-2018: A lot of CVS store take CCs for GC purchases. Some stores check CCs and scan driver's license (with hand scanner). The best GCs are OVVGC and VVGC. The only differences are card designs. The current fee is $5.95 for $25 - $500 variable loading. If prompted for PIN, enter the last 4 digits.

Look for mobile shipping portal with CVS bonus. Certain CCs have category bonus.

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads.
See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

Transaction limits since October 20, 2014:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $ 2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period. (Some are reporting limit of $1000 per 24 hrs as of 2/2018)?
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.

System error after giving them license If you keep getting this error, there could be a problem with the magnetic strip on your license. Have them use the wand to scan it instead.
Print Wikipost

CVS Master Thread(2017 onwards)

Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:42 pm

It seems that CVS charged tax on the gift card fee.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by ericliujian
It seems that CVS charged tax on the gift card fee.
this happened to me at our local Lowe's and I checked with our district revenue office if GC fees are charged sales tax. Soon as I found out there should be no tax, I went to the manager of the Lowe's and showed him my receipts and gave the # of the revenue personnel that gave me info. The next time I went back, he refunded all the sales tax I paid.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
this happened to me at our local Lowe's and I checked with our district revenue office if GC fees are charged sales tax. Soon as I found out there should be no tax, I went to the manager of the Lowe's and showed him my receipts and gave the # of the revenue personnel that gave me info. The next time I went back, he refunded all the sales tax I paid.
Oh,really. This is the first time I was charged tax on GC fee. I have been this CVS store for several years, I remember even May there was no tax. I though it might be a system change. What I know is my local 7-11 also charged tax on GC fee.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by ericliujian
Oh,really. This is the first time I was charged tax on GC fee. I have been this CVS store for several years, I remember even May there was no tax. I though it might be a system change. What I know is my local 7-11 also charged tax on GC fee.
best way to find out is to call sales tax/use tax dept of your local revenue office. the sales tax that Lowe's started adding on VGC fees was back in Jan 2017 while it was still participating in 5Backs program; it was the only merchant in our town that did it and got fixed immediately with one call.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:56 am

How is everyone liquidating these OV VGCs with the PO dead? PM if don't want to post answer. TIA.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by gw14
How is everyone liquidating these OV VGCs with the PO dead? PM if don't want to post answer. TIA.
local grocery.

mine is dead, so no longer by OV VGCs
Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Beware of OV issues. Multiple reports recently of the receipts showing the card loaded, but then later finding out the card doesn't work at all. Not drained, just not authorized. Then, you have to send OV documentation so they can remedy the problem. I thought it was just a bad batch that had been distributed, but after discussion with others and us looking at numbers, packaging and so forth, this may be a random problem occurring on OV's side. Big hassle. I realize most ignore these cards now anyhow due to lack of ability to liquidate, but this is just a PSA for those few still buying these. Wasn't sure if it should go in a separate OV thread or in this thread. I had this happen in the past at WG locations, but that was a problem between WG and OV. This error is different and seems to have affected multiple stores.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:02 pm
CDO
Suspended

Originally Posted by Churnman
Beware of OV issues. Multiple reports recently of the receipts showing the card loaded, but then later finding out the card doesn't work at all. Not drained, just not authorized. Then, you have to send OV documentation so they can remedy the problem. I thought it was just a bad batch that had been distributed, but after discussion with others and us looking at numbers, packaging and so forth, this may be a random problem occurring on OV's side. Big hassle. I realize most ignore these cards now anyhow due to lack of ability to liquidate, but this is just a PSA for those few still buying these. Wasn't sure if it should go in a separate OV thread or in this thread. I had this happen in the past at WG locations, but that was a problem between WG and OV. This error is different and seems to have affected multiple stores.
I am thinking of buying them at walgreens, has this issue been resolved?
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Churnman
I wonder if this is the problem I've been having. You're talking about OV visa, but does it also apply to OV mastercard? My test case liquidating an OVMC at the grocery worked fine, but since then all I've been getting is rejection.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by CDO
I am thinking of buying them at walgreens, has this issue been resolved?
I've experienced a lot of problems at that chain too, but it was an issue between the chain and the issuer. It was a pain to resolve, but others have not had as much problem (could have been a district issue at that time... haven't returned to that chain to attempt again).

Regarding recent problems, it seems like the card activates (receipt shows that), but then at some point it deactivates. Caution.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:24 am

I bought variable vanillas from CVS and OVs from WAG yesterday and no problem draining them at the grocery store ONE HOUR later. I'm aware of delayed activation for a while now and IME, it takes at least an hour to make sure the cards have the balance before I drain them. So far, so good. I've reach the cap on my last OBC so my next purchases will just be at WAG using Chase for Q3 5% offer. Hopefully, activation and draining will continue to be uneventful for me.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:32 am

BTW, to clarify my early comments about the cards becoming deactivated, I also waited over one hour at least to make sure they were ready to use and yet they still became deactivated. Some were even the next day that the attempted use occurred. Others reporting the same thing since they know to wait at least one hour. Incomm is investigating, but at this point no answers given publicly that I'm aware of. This seems to be random, and not location based. Some have no problem, as I didn't even knowing others did have problems. Therefore I proceeded and got hit. The cards are not drained, but simply show no balance and a warning to call customer support. Of course, the credit cards still get charged. Hope they get this issue resolved soon. I did get them re-activated, but it took a week. Some report varying times that it took. Hope it's not getting worse. Used to take about 3 days and some even hours to get resolved, but my last problem took longer as it sounded like they had too many to work through to get resolved.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:52 pm
CDO
Suspended

Have not seen any reports since freedom quarterly kicked in, sounds like issue must be fixed..
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:19 am

I got an error this morning the register said "another form of payment is required" when trying to buy VGC with CC
The cashier looked more confused than me.

Anyone else getting this? I'm not going to have time to try another store until this evening.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:54 pm

Another CVS, just fine, so I don't know lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.