Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2017 onward. The previous discussion can be found here.

UPDATED Oct-2018: A lot of CVS store take CCs for GC purchases. Some stores check CCs and scan driver's license (with hand scanner). The best GCs are OVVGC and VVGC. The only differences are card designs. The current fee is $5.95 for $25 - $500 variable loading. If prompted for PIN, enter the last 4 digits.

Look for mobile shipping portal with CVS bonus. Certain CCs have category bonus.

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads.
See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

Transaction limits since October 20, 2014:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $ 2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period. (Some are reporting limit of $1000 per 24 hrs as of 2/2018)?
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.

System error after giving them license If you keep getting this error, there could be a problem with the magnetic strip on your license. Have them use the wand to scan it instead.
Print Wikipost

CVS Master Thread(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2017, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Jesperss
All the other reports at the restocks at $5.95 are all false reports? Business as usual?
There definitely are $500 variable One Vanilla Visas at some CVSs that now carry a $5.95 price instead of $4.95. Exactly the same package that I have always bought black packing, see-thru window on front showing embossed (raised) "Prepaid Cardholder" name.

P.S. I've never seen a One Vanilla Visa at CVS that didn't have an embossed account number.

P.P.S. Not that it really matters, but I recently saw a OV at Rite-Aid, with a $6.95 price and a limit of $200.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: Several dozen
Seeing about 95% $5.95's over in my area these days.

Originally Posted by Jesperss
All the other reports at the restocks at $5.95 are all false reports? Business as usual?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:31 am

It is possible that wag and see vee with the 4.95 variable vanill and ov are old stocks that have not been replaced by ones with higher fees. I'd like to think they won't "waste" these cards and allow them to get sold instead of just replacing them with the "expensive" cards but that's just wishful thinking I will just complete whatever spend is left to fill $6.5K card to start 5% rolling before they take away the 4.95's.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
Vanillas sold at See V and DS at the corner of happy n healthy:

OneVanilla - Can't use for MO at WM, but fine at Kroger (USPS Ok?) YES

VGC Bancorp - good for USPS (anywhere else?)grocery stores/gas stations

VGC Meta - I don't know anything about these. NOT sold at DS but sold at most grocery stores and gas stations and these same stores may also sell WUMOs.

No other prepaid card good for MS at CVS besides OVGC? regular vanillas with the metallic black n silver package and Happy Birthday vanillas are good, too. just make sure the issuing bank is Bancorp or you can't use them at the PO but grocery stores and gas stations will likely take them. Check your store(s) if they still carry the ones with 4.95 fees on variables or else your fees go up by $1

AS ALWAYS, YMMV.
Thanks!
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:28 pm

Programs: IHG RA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Delta Silver
At least for now I think it's up to the managers/regions to order the different fee versions. After a scare of the $5.95's showing up in my stores, I think it was just one small restock, because there are plenty of $4.95s out and I think I noticed more were just put out.

Since Rite Aid was mentioned... I stopped in last week to see if I could increase my spend, but they only have the $6.95's (that are identical to CVS' $4.95's) so I turned right around and left.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:34 am

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
The local CVS's in SoCal still have $4.95 ones. I recently bought a few to pay estimated taxes and save a few bucks on fees.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:11 pm

I emptied my local CVS out of 4.95s a couple months back, and they had countless 5.95 ones. I was sad, but happened to go in looking for something else, and found they had restocked the 4.95 ones with about 500 cards (per my rough counting of a full rack times the number of full racks). Clearly, there are two totally different inventories and they are still made.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by dmac1418
At least for now I think it's up to the managers/regions to order the different fee versions. After a scare of the $5.95's showing up in my stores, I think it was just one small restock, because there are plenty of $4.95s out and I think I noticed more were just put out.

Since Rite Aid was mentioned... I stopped in last week to see if I could increase my spend, but they only have the $6.95's (that are identical to CVS' $4.95's) so I turned right around and left.
The OV's at my RA are not only $6.95, but they max out at $200.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:04 pm

I'll add that my local CVS also has the OVVGC and the Birthday VGC at $5.95. It was mixed in with the $4.95 ones as well. This CVS always had the OVVGC and Birthday ones at $4.95.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by alphakenny1
I'll add that my local CVS also has the OVVGC and the Birthday VGC at $5.95. It was mixed in with the $4.95 ones as well. This CVS always had the OVVGC and Birthday ones at $4.95.
How are you guys getting rid of those ? It's been a while since I last did a PPMC at CVS which worked quite well until that dried out..
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: IHG RA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by alphakenny1
I see both fee variants based on the color of the birthday candles. If I didn't pay attention I don't think anyone would notice the fee being the only difference.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 3:05 am

one of my cvs just recently instituted a $250 max load to the variable. seems to be hardcoded as it won't go through - tried/failed $500 twice. did $250 and it was fine. manager said that some chick the other night tried buying at the self checkout and when the clerk came over to help override, she cancelled and booked. manager said she was probably using a stolen card so now they have this $250 max policy even if it says up to $500 on the gc. too bad as they have stacks of $4.95 vanilla vgc by bancorp.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by mcRib
one of my cvs just recently instituted a $250 max load to the variable. seems to be hardcoded as it won't go through - tried/failed $500 twice. did $250 and it was fine. manager said that some chick the other night tried buying at the self checkout and when the clerk came over to help override, she cancelled and booked. manager said she was probably using a stolen card so now they have this $250 max policy even if it says up to $500 on the gc. too bad as they have stacks of $4.95 vanilla vgc by bancorp.
well that sounds terrible. what area are you in?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:26 am

With all these uncertainties in veeGCs sold at DS, I may have to complete asap my first 6.5K in one account just in case the new max on variables become 250(?). I know YMMV, as usual. But then...if I start earning 5%, should I continue to em-ess for much less profit margins? Decisions...decisions...geez! it's getting harder...lol
Old Sep 28, 2017, 6:14 pm

breauxdle, N.CaL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.