Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2017 onward. The previous discussion can be found here.

UPDATED Oct-2018: A lot of CVS store take CCs for GC purchases. Some stores check CCs and scan driver's license (with hand scanner). The best GCs are OVVGC and VVGC. The only differences are card designs. The current fee is $5.95 for $25 - $500 variable loading. If prompted for PIN, enter the last 4 digits.

Look for mobile shipping portal with CVS bonus. Certain CCs have category bonus.

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads.
See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

Transaction limits since October 20, 2014:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $ 2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period. (Some are reporting limit of $1000 per 24 hrs as of 2/2018)?
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.

System error after giving them license If you keep getting this error, there could be a problem with the magnetic strip on your license. Have them use the wand to scan it instead.
Print Wikipost

CVS Master Thread(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2022, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by josephbanjo7
Just FYI, I had this exact issue a few months back with Vanilla and after they went through my receipts and documentation that I sent them they added $500 to the card I bought rather than the barcode used at activation. So good luck, it will take a few days but I am confident that you won't have to eat the cost and they will resolve the issue. Best of luck and keep us posted!
That is how it turned out for me. I thought for sure that there would be considerable hassle, but that wasn't the case.

Interestingly, my go-to store went through all of the gift cards on their racks and found six fraudulent one's. I found two at a neighboring CVS and brought it to the store's attention.
josephbanjo7 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by TTT103
That is how it turned out for me. I thought for sure that there would be considerable hassle, but that wasn't the case.

Interestingly, my go-to store went through all of the gift cards on their racks and found six fraudulent one's. I found two at a neighboring CVS and brought it to the store's attention.
Thanks for the update and glad to hear others had success as well!

Great job bringing it to the store's attention and glad to see CVS being proactive to address the issue. It's in all of our best interests to do what we can to help reduce the chances of fraud for all. I always triple check the barcode matches the packaging now. I started out doing that but after buying so many I got a little too comfortable but at the end of the day no one looks out for you more than yourself. Nevertheless, it's nice to know that their support system at Vanilla seems to handle this situation correctly when/should it occur.
TTT103 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 2:04 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by josephbanjo7
I got a little too comfortable but at the end of the day no one looks out for you more than yourself.
Yep. I got a little too complacent myself with this, especially back in the day. It's easy to lose sight of the fact that you're carrying high value items. I'm happy to know that CVS is being proactive about this.
josephbanjo7 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 2:40 pm

Heads Up in regards to 4 cards per 24hr period rule.

Stopped and purchased two Vanillas without issue. Ran some other errands, and on my way elsewhere, stopped at another CVS on the other side of the county. They had a little sign at the checkout saying something like 'We're all restocking so press button and cashier will come to the front'. So she proceeded to check me out at one of the self-checkouts. I said I didn't know that would work given it's a variable card, but up pops the dollar input pad. On the second one, she puts in 500, but it says 250 max. She yells back to the manager asking if she can override, and manager says no, you'll have to use the reg register.

So she fires up the main register and starts scanning, but it denies purchase. So even though she had cancelled the previous transaction, apparently the system still counted them towards the 4 cards per 24hr limit as they were scanned.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by RVRS

Stopped and purchased two Vanillas without issue. Ran some other errands, and on my way elsewhere, stopped at another CVS on the other side of the county. They had a little sign at the checkout saying something like 'We're all restocking so press button and cashier will come to the front'. So she proceeded to check me out at one of the self-checkouts. I said I didn't know that would work given it's a variable card, but up pops the dollar input pad. On the second one, she puts in 500, but it says 250 max. She yells back to the manager asking if she can override, and manager says no, you'll have to use the reg register.

So she fires up the main register and starts scanning, but it denies purchase. So even though she had cancelled the previous transaction, apparently the system still counted them towards the 4 cards per 24hr limit as they were scanned.
Did the self-checkout scan your ID? Doesn't sound like it so I don't know how it would add to your limit.

What seems more likely is the card was "activated" to some degree at self-checkout and that put up a red flag when the same card was scanned at the regular checkout.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by RVRS

This has happened to me at the regular registers a number of times, as well. For example, they scan the first vanilla, then my drivers license, and then the next three vanilla’s. If something goes haywire and they cancel the transaction, but then try to process the transaction again starting from the beginning, I get denied. It seems that once the DL is scanned, that’s it for 24 hours.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by TTT103
This has happened to me at the regular registers a number of times, as well. For example, they scan the first vanilla, then my drivers license, and then the next three vanilla’s. If something goes haywire and they cancel the transaction, but then try to process the transaction again starting from the beginning, I get denied. It seems that once the DL is scanned, that’s it for 24 hours.
That always happens if your DL has been scanned before transaction cancelled and can’t buy anymore for 24 hrs as you state. A clerk in my CVS insisted self checkout would work for variable GC. I told her she was sadly mistaken and asked her to get a GC off rack and try to buy herself at self checkout….same message came up with $250 max load for her. 🤔🤔

Job training seems to be banned at many stores lately. 😂😂😂
Old Jun 4, 2022, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by danpeake
Did the self-checkout scan your ID? Doesn't sound like it so I don't know how it would add to your limit.

What seems more likely is the card was "activated" to some degree at self-checkout and that put up a red flag when the same card was scanned at the regular checkout.
Scanned first card, then asked for DL, then second card. I'll have to watch with my non-amex cards, as once in a blue moon their touchy algorithm kicks a false fraud denial, which would cancel transaction and end up with similar results.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 8:00 pm

I'm having a different experience than others on here. All 4 Vanilla VCGs were scanned in addition to my DL. My bank flagged the transaction as fraud so it got denied despite 2 swipes from my credit card. I called the bank and went back to the register. The cashier had to scan my DL again but I was able to purchase the 4 VGCs.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 10:41 am

Has anyone MSed the entire AMEX MSR using CVS Vanilla VGCs or is that too suspicious? I wasn't sure if there were any DPs of clawbacks.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Ankster
I'm having a different experience than others on here. All 4 Vanilla VCGs were scanned in addition to my DL. My bank flagged the transaction as fraud so it got denied despite 2 swipes from my credit card. I called the bank and went back to the register. The cashier had to scan my DL again but I was able to purchase the 4 VGCs.
Speculation.

Perhaps when payment is declined, the system doesn't just cancel the transaction, it undoes it, like it never happened, hence no impact on the 4 card limit. But my transaction was just cancelled, therefore the cards impacted the limit.

??
Old Jun 8, 2022, 6:36 am

Has anyone MSed the entire AMEX MSR using CVS Vanilla VGCs or is that too suspicious? I wasn't sure if there were any DPs of clawbacks.
Don't think there's an official answer but many people suggest not MSing the SUB for AMEX cards as clawbacks are more likely.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 10:33 pm

Anyone having issue buying $2k in VGCs at CVS? I usually can do it no problem but today it only let me buy $1k. A little worried since I still see a charge for $2k on my card even though $1k was supposed to be refunded per the receipt.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:43 am

Anyone having issue buying $2k in VGCs at CVS? I usually can do it no problem but today it only let me buy $1k. A little worried since I still see a charge for $2k on my card even though $1k was supposed to be refunded per the receipt.
Did 2k yesterday no problem.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 8:57 pm

For those who regularly use self checkout at CVS, does loading Serve card (Green card or otherwise) work as expected? I've read posts where people are able to purchase multiple VGC even with the driver's license scan, but unclear if it's capable of working with Serve reloads. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.