CVS Master Thread(2017 onwards)

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 23, 18, 9:37 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RedSun
Wiki Link
This is the thread for 2017 onward. The previous discussion can be found here.

UPDATED Oct-2018: A lot of CVS store take CCs for GC purchases. Some stores check CCs and scan driver's license (with hand scanner). The best GCs are OVVGC and VVGC. The only differences are card designs. The current fee is $5.95 for $25 - $500 variable loading. If prompted for PIN, enter the last 4 digits.

Look for mobile shipping portal with CVS bonus. Certain CCs have category bonus.

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads.
See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

Transaction limits since October 20, 2014:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $ 2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period. (Some are reporting limit of $1000 per 24 hrs as of 2/2018)?
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.

System error after giving them license If you keep getting this error, there could be a problem with the magnetic strip on your license. Have them use the wand to scan it instead.
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 6, 19, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Dardack View Post
What do you say to get them to enter it manually?
They just default to manual entry if it doesn't scan.
Old Nov 11, 19, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by daddyo_daddyo View Post
They just default to manual entry if it doesn't scan.
Mine didn't. Had to convince manager to do it manually. He didn't even know that was possible, first telling me he coudln't. He let me watch his screen and he was so fast pushing the button for scan I was like Go back to manual. So he did for me.
Old Nov 12, 19, 6:53 am

So the $0 activation serve cards at my local CVS (from a promo with CVS that ended in Jan) finally stopped being able to be purchased. Was good while it lasted.
Old Nov 14, 19, 10:05 am

Manual process did not work

Originally Posted by SideShowBob View Post
So the $0 activation serve cards at my local CVS (from a promo with CVS that ended in Jan) finally stopped being able to be purchased. Was good while it lasted.
Had my local CVS try the Manual process. She got a system error, try again in a few minutes.
Not sure if that was user error as it was her first time or truely a system error not allowing the purchase.
Old Nov 25, 19, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by jrreynolds View Post
Had my local CVS try the Manual process. She got a system error, try again in a few minutes.
Not sure if that was user error as it was her first time or truely a system error not allowing the purchase.
Was good while it lasted.
Old Dec 5, 19, 1:52 pm

i guess still no one knows what happened? it doesn't work for me either.
Old Dec 5, 19, 4:34 pm

I went back after a week. Scan was working again.
Old Dec 7, 19, 7:32 am

Senior moment & maybe OT -- Can you load temp version of Serve with debit cards?
Old Dec 7, 19, 9:44 am

maybe i live in crackheadville but the people that work at night at 24/7 cvs's don't give a .... about anything really when it comes to payment methods. i asked one cashier if i could buy an 'x' with 'x' and they were just like who knows, swipe and find out!
Old Dec 8, 19, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by jmtizzle View Post
maybe i live in crackheadville but the people that work at night at 24/7 cvs's don't give a .... about anything really when it comes to payment methods. i asked one cashier if i could buy an 'x' with 'x' and they were just like who knows, swipe and find out!
I wish WM and other places would hire more stoners.
Old Dec 8, 19, 9:13 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by tuphat View Post
I wish WM and other places would hire more stoners.
Hahaha, absolutely. And have them work at Money Services.
Old Dec 8, 19, 9:39 am

kid that works at DG always talks to me when im reloading my serve there, he tells me about a guy that rolls up with like 5 serve cards and maxes each out for the daily limit lol
Old Dec 12, 19, 1:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glbl, Marriott Lftm Plat, National EE
Had two firsts for me at CVS today. I was doing my usual purchase of $2k worth of VGCs. After the clerk scanned my license, I got a popup on the POS payment thingy saying "we don't have your latest email address, would you like to add it?" or something to that effect. Weird, but ok. I pushed 'no'. Then, when the transaction completed and they spit out the receipt, it was about 1.5 times longer than usual. Intrigued, I looked closer at it and it had a bunch of coupons *including a straight-up $4 back on $4 or more* offer.

I've only ever seen the latter when they scan my CVS card at the pharmacy or during normal purchases. I *never* scan my CVS card when making GC purchases.

Should I be worried, concerned? On the one hand, $4 for free is great. On the other, I'm a bit uncomfortable that they may now be associating my cards with my CVS accounts. The purchase still went through, so maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Gloob
Old Mar 20, 20, 12:46 pm

Bumping this thread because I haven't seen any recent data points. Is it still the case that CVS won't allow VCG's with a CC for over $300 w/o ID?

Last edited by Ms069279; Mar 20, 20 at 1:08 pm
Old Mar 26, 20, 8:38 am

I've never tested the $300 limit because I always buy $2k. They always ask for ID.

Search this Thread