Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
AMEX Delta business
AMEX business platinum and business gold (Canadian)
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
BofA - Amtrak World MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Barclaycard Arrival World MC
Chase Ink Cash Visa
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred (should give 2x, similar to CSR -- probably expired as of 6/5/17)
Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x, coded as travel -- this appears to have expired as of 6/5/17)
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category, misc. government services)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard
US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa

Successful Payees:
AAA (Socal, Santa Ana) insurance: Electronic payment: Processed 5/21 (Sunday), Complete 5/23, Arrived-Posted 5/26
ACS: took about 2 weeks to post
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check): 2 week turnaround
Citi Mortgage: Electronic - less than 1 week turnaround as of May 2017
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax & GST/HST remittances
Firstmark Services (student loan, electronically remitted)
Fidelity Bank (Mortgage) https://www.fidelitybank.com/ks/Home.aspx
Flagstar Bank (Mortgage), electronic payment, posts in 2-3 days.
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
NA Shade & Associates LLC
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
Nationstar Mortgage, electionic payment, post in 2-3 days.
New York Community Bank (NYCB) Mortgage: check mailed by Plastiq 4/27, posted 5/1.
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
PennyMac Mortgage: 1-1.5wk turnaround
TCF Mortgage: 1.5 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Wawanesa USA Insurance
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16

Restrictions
New VISA payments are not being accepted for mortgages.
Print Wikipost

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:23 pm

About 8 months ago, there was an electronic payment for Flagstar Bank. I have this saved on one of my mortgages. I added another Flagstar account to Plastiq and the electronic payment option is gone now. The previous account with e-payment is still there. If Plastiq has capability to e-submit, why would they take the option away?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
It turns out the dumb****s at Plastiq made a typo on the check in the loan# field and my payment was applied to someone else's mortgage.
I am beyond livid atm and I will never do business with them again.
PS: In the past I have made at least 10 mortgage payments with them using the same account#, how they screwed it up this time is beyond me.
Plastiq got back to me saying they're sorry my Bank made the clerical error and in the future I should review the details more carefully before making any payments...un-freakin-believable!

I shot back with a scathing email to their canned response reiterating the fact that the error was on their end, they were the ones who made a typo and caused me all this grief.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
There's definitely a risk in trusting Plastiq with mission-critical payments.

I paid our Blue Shield health insurance premiums and there was an issue. Thankfully, no lapse in coverage, but that could have been real bad.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:14 pm
c2d

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, HHonors, Avis et al.
Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
Plastiq got back to me saying they're sorry my Bank made the clerical error and in the future I should review the details more carefully before making any payments...un-freakin-believable!

I shot back with a scathing email to their canned response reiterating the fact that the error was on their end, they were the ones who made a typo and caused me all this grief.
How the hell can there be a "typo"? Aren't they just printing the information you entered, or is someone hand writing the checks for plastiq? It is crazy that this happened to you for an account that was paid correctly several times in the past.

Thanks for posting this. I will have to set myself a monthly calendar reminder to check plastiq payments to make sure they get posted correctly.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:43 am

I have set reminders for me to verify payments as well! We shouldn’t have to but..........
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by frudd38
Originally Posted by nomorecoach
Can you have multiple credit cards on file with Plastiq that all have different billing addresses? For example, CC 1 has ABC as a billing address, while CC 2 has a billing address of XYZ.
Yes.
Thank you!

What about different names? I am guessing that it's not allowed and would require a different account to be set up.

I've read somewhere (can't remember where) that if a specific electronic payment is set up for a payee/account, a different Plastiq account can't pay that same payee/account combo. Is this still correct?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Thank you!

What about different names? I am guessing that it's not allowed and would require a different account to be set up.

I've read somewhere (can't remember where) that if a specific electronic payment is set up for a payee/account, a different Plastiq account can't pay that same payee/account combo. Is this still correct?
Yes, okay to both.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:57 pm

Thank you!

Yes, okay to both.
Bummer...
Thanks for the quick reply, though.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Bummer...
Thanks for the quick reply, though.
To clarify, yes different names can be used and yes same payees can be paid from different accounts.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:10 am

To clarify, yes different names can be used and yes same payees can be paid from different accounts.
Oh!!!!!! This is great news. Thank you very much for the clarification!
Old Oct 9, 2017, 5:22 pm

Does plastiq allow family members to setup their own accounts if
At the same billing address? Good way to earn free payments
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by briang191
new to this thread anyone here using plastiq after the minimum spend has been made? 2.5% seems steep for 3x UR using ink preferred. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
How does that seem steep? 3,075 UR = $46.13 - 25 = $21.13 in credit through the Chase travel portal using a CSR
Originally Posted by milypan
Yes, as long as there is no other cost to using Plastiq (e.g., risk of the payment being late), then you cannot lose by earning 3x UR pts on the payment vs paying by cash or check.
Im also new here and am confused how to scale making money with Plastiq as well as why this topic is under Manufactured Spending. I can certainly see using the service to meet minimum spend (not an MS topic since paying bills is actual organic spend) but the only thing I see over and over and over is paying your mortgage with CIP.

Can someone please tell me what cards I can use / monthly bills I can pay that will allow me to profit off using Plastiq that aren't CIP+mortgage?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
There's no real magic bullet here (easily accessible, scaleable, widely verified, risk-free) that I am aware of.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by lstomberg
Im also new here and am confused how to scale making money with Plastiq as well as why this topic is under Manufactured Spending....Can someone please tell me what cards I can use / monthly bills I can pay that will allow me to profit off using Plastiq that aren't CIP+mortgage?
I'm guessing it's under MS because it's a way to pay bills by card that normally wouldn't be card-payable. But nobody ever claimed that it you could "scale making money" with the service to unlimited levels (and, for 99+% of the cards out there, you won't make any money at all, other than hitting sign-up bonuses, because the rewards aren't worth the 2.5% fee).

If there were a way to make unlimited amounts of money using this service or any other, someone would have already arbitraged that away.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milypan
I'm guessing it's under MS because it's a way to pay bills by card that normally wouldn't be card-payable. But nobody ever claimed that it you could "scale making money" with the service to unlimited levels (and, for 99+% of the cards out there, you won't make any money at all, other than hitting sign-up bonuses, because the rewards aren't worth the 2.5% fee).

If there were a way to make unlimited amounts of money using this service or any other, someone would have already arbitraged that away.
It's partly under MS because there used to be a "loophole" which made Plastiq earn 3x with some cards. (And 3x may override a 2.5% fee enough, depending on how much you value the points you're earning at 3x.) But that appears to have ended recently for the most part.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.