Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
AMEX Delta business
AMEX business platinum and business gold (Canadian)
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
BofA - Amtrak World MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Barclaycard Arrival World MC
Chase Ink Cash Visa
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred (should give 2x, similar to CSR -- probably expired as of 6/5/17)
Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x, coded as travel -- this appears to have expired as of 6/5/17)
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category, misc. government services)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard
US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa

Successful Payees:
AAA (Socal, Santa Ana) insurance: Electronic payment: Processed 5/21 (Sunday), Complete 5/23, Arrived-Posted 5/26
ACS: took about 2 weeks to post
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check): 2 week turnaround
Citi Mortgage: Electronic - less than 1 week turnaround as of May 2017
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax & GST/HST remittances
Firstmark Services (student loan, electronically remitted)
Fidelity Bank (Mortgage) https://www.fidelitybank.com/ks/Home.aspx
Flagstar Bank (Mortgage), electronic payment, posts in 2-3 days.
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
NA Shade & Associates LLC
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
Nationstar Mortgage, electionic payment, post in 2-3 days.
New York Community Bank (NYCB) Mortgage: check mailed by Plastiq 4/27, posted 5/1.
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
PennyMac Mortgage: 1-1.5wk turnaround
TCF Mortgage: 1.5 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Wawanesa USA Insurance
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16

Restrictions
New VISA payments are not being accepted for mortgages.
Print Wikipost

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
First payment to a legit business(IE Mortgage, Car Payment and the like) can take up to 30 days. Just assume it will. After that, for the most part, I see 7-10 days.

For other items, which could be legit, it can't take a LONG time. Up to 30 days or more. For instance I need to send checks to contractors. You submit. 3-5 days later you get an email stating need an invoice. Submit it. 3-5 days later it could be sent. OR sometimes after 5 days I use their live chat and ask what the hell is going on and it's instantly sent out(IE Same Day).
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:43 pm

Spend $7,500, get 15,000 Membership Rewards® Points

I was thinking about using Plastiq to pay for college tuition of $7500. I had been targeted for this Amex offer on my Platinum card. Will it work and is it worth the Plastiq fee?
Old Aug 13, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Self edit.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:21 pm

The view

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Self edit.
I think the question is it worth 187.50 for 22,500 points? Because I have to spend the $7500 so I would get the 15k bonus. Thoughts?
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by Dantrav
I think the question is it worth 187.50 for 22,500 points? Because I have to spend the $7500 so I would get the 15k bonus. Thoughts?
Only you can determine if it's worth it. Nonetheless, I'd be buying at that rate.
Dantrav likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those that have used Plastiq, what is a reasonable amount of time in which to expect that a bill will be paid? How long - in general - is the time from when the payment is submitted to Plastiq until an account at your financial institution is credited with said payment, if payment is sent "electronically"?

Reading through the thread, it appears that the data is all over the place. Some payments in days, some in weeks. Has this smoothed out a bit over time or is it still hit or miss on lead times?
There are two ways of paying someone through Plastiq.

If the business is found in their database, and thus they can send electronic payments, it tends to be much faster, though it can still take the good part of a week total partly because the receiving party may take a day or two to credit your account.

If the business is not in their database, and they have to send a paper check in the regular mail, not only do you have to provide all the specifics, but you have to count on the fact that (1) you don't make a mistake, (2) you provided a post-office valid address, (3) they don't make a mistake, etc, etc. For example, one digit in an address transposed may mean the check they send gets lost at the post office. Also, they may take their own time-consuming steps to try to verify that the business address they're trying to send to is correct. Plus the regular mail takes much longer. Plus some business may take much longer to credit your account when a physical check is involved (especially if they don't know Plastiq from Adam). Etc, etc.

Thus IMHO if the payee is in their database, you're likely to be on the lower end of reported datapoints. If payee is not yet in theirdatabase, the full breadth of reported datapoints might apply.

So you can't evaluate datapoints without separating the two types of payment methods.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by sdsearch
There are two ways of paying someone through Plastiq.

So you can't evaluate datapoints without separating the two types of payment methods.
Yes....that's why I specifically asked how long to expect if the payment is made electronically. :-)

Thanks for your detailed response.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes....that's why I specifically asked how long to expect if the payment is made electronically. :-)

Thanks for your detailed response.
One more thing I left out of my reply:

It might depend on how big an outfit it is you're sending it to as to how quickly they process it (ie, credit your account or whatever) after receiving it from Plastiq. With AAA Socal, which is a big enough auto insurance organization, that last step still took a couple days. I can image that at a small mom & pop company (if there are such small mom & pop companies to whom you can send "electronically" through Plastiq), it might be even more undependable how fast they process a Plastiq payment.

And so the thing that I'm concerned about with datapoints is that it's not always clear whether a given person is counting when Plastiq says the payment was received or counting when their account at the recipient was credited (but some datapoints don't make clear they're counting), but IMHO those two events shouldn't be mixed together. I tried to put both pieces of information in my one datapoint, and some other people do too, but far from everyone does.

In case you haven't looked, there's a summary of collected datapoints in the wikipost atop (any page of) this thread (only viewable on the desktop version of FT, not on the mobile version of FT).
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:33 pm

Anyone know if Chase Ink Preferred is still earning 3x? Haven't made a payment since the first week of July.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Anyone know if Chase Ink Preferred is still earning 3x? Haven't made a payment since the first week of July.
Last time I looked at the Reddit thread on this (a couple weeks ago) it looked like it was not, but as always YMMV.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Originally Posted by milypan
Last time I looked at the Reddit thread on this (a couple weeks ago) it looked like it was not, but as always YMMV.
My Chase mortgage does earn 3x on the Ink Preferred. My non-Chase Mortage does not, so it goes onto my Amex Blue for Biz while it's still earning 2x on everything.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy platinum
DP- not only can the payment be slow or faster but also a no show. I have attempted to pay my sons leasing fees to an apartment complex 2 times in the past month. Both times the check never made it. Of course, Plastiq is soooo apologetic and offer to pay late fees. Big deal- the apartment complex probably thinks I'm full of it!! Had to buy a money order and sent it with my son for move in day yesterday. If you absolutely need a payment to be there, they are totally undependable!!! Will not use again except if I'm desperate to meet min spend on cc.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:20 pm

DP: HOA Fee payment last week posted with 3X for ink preferred
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by rfclub
Interesting, haven't seen any positive data points lately.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by rfclub
Same here, and the Platiq fee is actually cheaper than my HOA's fee for using a credit card. Win-Win!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.