Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
AMEX Delta business
AMEX business platinum and business gold (Canadian)
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
BofA - Amtrak World MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Barclaycard Arrival World MC
Chase Ink Cash Visa
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred (should give 2x, similar to CSR -- probably expired as of 6/5/17)
Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x, coded as travel -- this appears to have expired as of 6/5/17)
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category, misc. government services)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard
US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa

Successful Payees:
AAA (Socal, Santa Ana) insurance: Electronic payment: Processed 5/21 (Sunday), Complete 5/23, Arrived-Posted 5/26
ACS: took about 2 weeks to post
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check): 2 week turnaround
Citi Mortgage: Electronic - less than 1 week turnaround as of May 2017
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax & GST/HST remittances
Firstmark Services (student loan, electronically remitted)
Fidelity Bank (Mortgage) https://www.fidelitybank.com/ks/Home.aspx
Flagstar Bank (Mortgage), electronic payment, posts in 2-3 days.
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
NA Shade & Associates LLC
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
Nationstar Mortgage, electionic payment, post in 2-3 days.
New York Community Bank (NYCB) Mortgage: check mailed by Plastiq 4/27, posted 5/1.
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
PennyMac Mortgage: 1-1.5wk turnaround
TCF Mortgage: 1.5 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Wawanesa USA Insurance
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16

Restrictions
New VISA payments are not being accepted for mortgages.
Print Wikipost

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Old Aug 6, 2017, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by BuBu4
i recall saying that it depends on the size of the mortgage company. so its YMMV. Give it a try.

doing VGC on plastiq is 1% fee right?
It wasn't 1% for a short time in the past, but it's now 2.5%. But its my only way of liquidating VGC since I don't go to WM.

Has anybody tried VGC on Flagstar? I don't want to buy he VGC if Plastiq won't take them.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: IHG, HPG, CC, HH, SW, US-AA, KLM
Plastiq AT&T 3x confirmed no good, correct?
Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
It wasn't 1% for a short time in the past, but it's now 2.5%. But its my only way of liquidating VGC since I don't go to WM.

Has anybody tried VGC on Flagstar? I don't want to buy he VGC if Plastiq won't take them.
I pay my flagstar mortgage using VGC through plastiq. No problem
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by SR99
I pay my flagstar mortgage using VGC through plastiq. No problem
Did you do this because you had some VGC that you needed to liquidate and didn't mind the 2.5% fee? Otherwise I can't fathom why anyone would do this since you already pay a fee for the VGC.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Ultraboost
Did you do this because you had some VGC that you needed to liquidate and didn't mind the 2.5% fee? Otherwise I can't fathom why anyone would do this since you already pay a fee for the VGC.
It comes down to cost per point. If you get more value than the cost, it may be worth to some. I pay the 2.5% fee and the gift card fee. I find much more value in the points than the 1 cent cost. Granted, its not th best method, but its one of the easiest, especially on high volumes. Its get even better when experiment with some payees and random gift cards.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:51 am

Used Plastiq to pre-pay some of my rent to meet min spend on Amex Biz Plat card. Biz Plat gives 1.5x MR if you make a purchase in excess of $5k. Since my rent is $3k (and since my management company was fine with me pre-paying a month), I had Plastiq send a check for $6k. Since I get 1.5 MR instead of just 1x MR, it effectively turns the Plastiq fee into 1cpp. Happy to pay 1 cpp for the peace of mind in knowing that I met the min spend organically, so no chance of clawback.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Ultraboost
this actually gave me a good idea. You get those Staple ones, $400. 5x with ink + $20 staples rebate. Was told these are hard to liquidate them at walmart because they have big letters that says visa gift card? This may be the easiest way to liquidate them.

Question though, can u split payment on plastiq?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by brody24
Used Plastiq to pre-pay some of my rent to meet min spend on Amex Biz Plat card. Biz Plat gives 1.5x MR if you make a purchase in excess of $5k. Since my rent is $3k (and since my management company was fine with me pre-paying a month), I had Plastiq send a check for $6k. Since I get 1.5 MR instead of just 1x MR, it effectively turns the Plastiq fee into 1cpp. Happy to pay 1 cpp for the peace of mind in knowing that I met the min spend organically, so no chance of clawback.
The Plastiq fee is 2.5%, so that sounds like 1.67 cpp (on 1.5X earning), not 1 cpp. What am I missing here?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by milypan
The Plastiq fee is 2.5%, so that sounds like 1.67 cpp (on 1.5X earning), not 1 cpp. What am I missing here?
Woops, you are right. Calculator typo earlier.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by BuBu4
this actually gave me a good idea. You get those Staple ones, $400. 5x with ink + $20 staples rebate. Was told these are hard to liquidate them at walmart because they have big letters that says visa gift card? This may be the easiest way to liquidate them.

Question though, can u split payment on plastiq?
no split payment, just multiple payments. SPLit payment would be a great feature.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by frudd38
Is anyone MSing the Amex Blue Biz 2.3x? Seems like a pretty good deal buying MR at 1.09%.
Looking for data points of whether Citi att access more still codes rent as 3x after Jul 22. I'll switch to Amex Biz blue plus after that
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by slivrflyr
Looking for data points of whether Citi att access more still codes rent as 3x after Jul 22. I'll switch to Amex Biz blue plus after that
Even so, MR 2.3x > TYP 3x imo. When you factored in the ATT annual 10k to make it 4x on $10k spend, then that was a different case (for me at least).
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:16 pm

Even so, MR 2.3x > TYP 3x imo. When you factored in the ATT annual 10k to make it 4x on $10k spend, then that was a different case (for me at least).
Both Amex MR and TYP I use to transfer to krisflyer and book united flights usually realizing 2-2.5c per mile
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:19 pm

Would it be possible to use Plastiq to fund downpayment on a house?

If so how would this be achieved? I don't have a six figure limit and I doubt Amex plat would authorize it so even if I could pre-approve it w Amex, maybe prepay the amount?

Would the check be written to the order of an attorney or some escrow ?

Just curious if anyone has done this or pondered it.

Thanks
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
There is no 2.3x on the Amex Blue Biz Plus! It's only 2.0x. See post 3 of this thread:
The 2.3x is only on the first year of the (now discontinued for new applications) Amex Blue for Biz:
I realize that Blue for Biz and Blue Biz Plus sound similar, but they are different cards, with different earning structures (even if at first glance there seem to be some similarities).

If you have the Blue for Biz and are still in your first year of having that card, enjoy the 2.3x while that first year is still in progress, because as soon your first year of having that card ends, it drops to 1.3x (ie, the 30% annual bonus remains but the 2x goes away after the first year). So you might as well replace it with Blue Biz Plus once your 30% bonus posts after the first year, since 2.0x sounds better than 1.3x to me, even if neither is as good as 2.3x.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.