Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
AMEX Delta business
AMEX business platinum and business gold (Canadian)
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
BofA - Amtrak World MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Barclaycard Arrival World MC
Chase Ink Cash Visa
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred (should give 2x, similar to CSR -- probably expired as of 6/5/17)
Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x, coded as travel -- this appears to have expired as of 6/5/17)
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category, misc. government services)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard
US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa

Successful Payees:
AAA (Socal, Santa Ana) insurance: Electronic payment: Processed 5/21 (Sunday), Complete 5/23, Arrived-Posted 5/26
ACS: took about 2 weeks to post
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check): 2 week turnaround
Citi Mortgage: Electronic - less than 1 week turnaround as of May 2017
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax & GST/HST remittances
Firstmark Services (student loan, electronically remitted)
Fidelity Bank (Mortgage) https://www.fidelitybank.com/ks/Home.aspx
Flagstar Bank (Mortgage), electronic payment, posts in 2-3 days.
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
NA Shade & Associates LLC
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
Nationstar Mortgage, electionic payment, post in 2-3 days.
New York Community Bank (NYCB) Mortgage: check mailed by Plastiq 4/27, posted 5/1.
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
PennyMac Mortgage: 1-1.5wk turnaround
TCF Mortgage: 1.5 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Wawanesa USA Insurance
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16

Restrictions
New VISA payments are not being accepted for mortgages.
Print Wikipost

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: OWE
paid rent to a realty company in the NYC area. worked 3x April and May. this month oly 1x. went through as
+ 1 Point per $1 on all other purchases
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by DeaconY
I think most people probably have higher than a $1500 CL on any card that would make using Plastic worth the expense (CSR or CIP)....
Thinking about ritz. And using plastiq to help push to Ritz Plat status, if possible
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by slivrflyr
Thinking about ritz. And using plastiq to help push to Ritz Plat status, if possible
Last time I ran the numbers on this, it was like a $1,500 gambit in terms of opportunity cost and pain in the ... factor for Plat.

For me, the value wasn't there, but if you absolutely positively must have status, it is a thing you can do.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by ralphs
Last time I ran the numbers on this, it was like a $1,500 gambit in terms of opportunity cost and pain in the ... factor for Plat.

For me, the value wasn't there, but if you absolutely positively must have status, it is a thing you can do.

Thanks. I'm still not convinced myself. I assume that Amex will lose SPG gold benefit for Plat card so l have to start spending $10k min on Ritz card. That's where I'm thinking I can hit plastiq but I'd need to pay above my likoyn curious how visa infinite works w overlimit chsrges.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Thanks. I'm still not convinced myself. I assume that Amex will lose SPG gold benefit for Plat card so l have to start spending $10k min on Ritz card. That's where I'm thinking I can hit plastiq but I'd need to pay above my likoyn curious how visa infinite works w overlimit chsrges.
Don't all Visa Infinite cards have a $5k minimum CL?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suggest you re-think that assumption.

The Ritz card may go away at the same time as the Plat's SPG Gold status, since Marriott says it's combining all 3 programs (Marriott, Ritz, and SPG) into one.

And whichever card(s) stay(s) may change benefits in any way.

So all you really know is how each card works this year.

I suggest you figure out how status expiration works with the the Gold from the SPG Amex currently (for people who cancel the card). I don't see how it would any worse if Amex took away the benefit (than what happens when people cancel the card and supposedly lose the benefit). It could be that Amex sends "this person should be Gold" to SPG only once a year (but when in the year?), and depending on when SPG gets that dictates how much longer after that your SPG Gold status remains.

Meanwhile, Marriott's recently announced it's renegotiating its contracts with Amex and Chase, and until it announces what the results of that renegotiation is, it's not clear if both or only of those banks (and if so which one) will survive. And that's just which bank(s) will survive; what the new card(s) for the new program will do, that'll be a whole 'nother question.

By comparison, keep in mind there wasn't any advance notice (AFAIK) of Hilton renegotiating with Amex and Citi, and all of a sudden a few weeks ago Hilton announced that starting in 2018 Amex would be the only bank to issue Hilton cards in the USA, and then within a week or two of that announcement Citi completely stopped issuing its Hilton cards. (For well over a decade both Hilton and Citi has issued Hilton cards, and I don't think anyone saw that Hilton was about to lose the ability to do that.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 26, 2017 at 7:49 pm
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:57 pm
esf

Originally Posted by Iridium7777
has anyone had issues with using amex gc?

i've used them previously to pay bills and everything worked fine, trying to add a card today and i get an error that the card could not be validated?

i check on amex site and i see that it has $$ available on it, it's something on the plastic?
Could you finally use your AGC?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by OnTheRocks
DP for people I was successful in using my CSR to pay my mortgage. Not sure if all Visas are blocked for mortgages.
Did you make a one time payment, or did you schedule the payment in advance? Thanks.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by cletuslol
Well, that's a bit of a surprise. Anyone care to wager how long this lasts?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:57 pm

I just received the following wonderful message in an email from Plastiq (14 days after the check was supposedly sent)...

We are reaching out because an error has occurred with one of our partners and one of your payments has been delayed.

We sent you an email that your payment was sent on June 14, 2017. Our check provider has reached out to us today to let us know that their printers never issued the checks so no checks were mailed out on that date. We are currently having them reissue the payments and mailed to the business. They should arrive in the next 1-3 business days

We have gone ahead and refunded the Plastiq fee on these payments that did not get issued and would like you to know that we will cover any late fees that you may incur from this error caused by our provider. Please make sure to follow our guidelines listed in our FAQ to get your late fees covered in a timely manner: http://plastiq.elevio.help/en/articl...ment-guarantee

Thank you for choosing Plastiq as your service provider and one again we apologize for any concern this may have caused.

Last edited by daedge; Jun 27, 2017 at 9:59 pm Reason: added full email text
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Is it possible to get category spend bonuses on health insurance via Plastiq?

We send Blue Shield about $70k a year (small biz) and it would be nice to get 2% or 3% back on that.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by cletuslol
im curious on if the CSR would earn 3x too since both of them should be coding the transaction as travel no?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro

We send Blue Shield about $70k a year (small biz) and it would be nice to get 2% or 3% back on that.
I paid a small hospital bill via Plastiq and it just earned 1X on ATT AM. Probably the best bet if you want to pursue this is just to use AmEx BBP, as then you're guaranteed to earn 2X. You're not clearing too much relative to the 2.5% fee then...it's probably not worth it at all unless you can deduct the fee (which I assume you may be able to, since it's a business).

Originally Posted by BuBu4
im curious on if the CSR would earn 3x too since both of them should be coding the transaction as travel no?
CSR 3X on Plastiq got shut down at the beginning of the month. That's why people are surprised that CIP is still earning it.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by milypan
I paid a small hospital bill via Plastiq and it just earned 1X on ATT AM. Probably the best bet if you want to pursue this is just to use AmEx BBP, as then you're guaranteed to earn 2X. You're not clearing too much relative to the 2.5% fee then...it's probably not worth it at all unless you can deduct the fee (which I assume you may be able to, since it's a business).
Unfortunately the AmEx BBP's 2x feature is limited to 50k in purchases and I have a number of other purchases in mind for that. Thank you anyways.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately the AmEx BBP's 2x feature is limited to 50k in purchases and I have a number of other purchases in mind for that. Thank you anyways.
Since Plastiq usually charges 2.5%, you'd need a card that earns the equivalent (for you) of 4.5% to get 2% back on that, or 5.5% to get 3% back on that.

So I see little point in it on "normal" card spend if you're only going to earn 1x.

It mostly makes sense if spending to get to a signup bonus (that you might have trouble getting to easily otherwise), since there you're often earning the equiavlent of 10x or 15x or 20x or 25x or 30x until you do the required spend (at which point you're back to 1x).

If you already MS cheaply all your cards out to the max, and MS cheaply for any signup bonuses too, I don't see how Plastiq with its 2.5% fee will help much with it.

To me, Plastiq with its 2.5% fee is designed for people who don't know how to (or don't care to) MS more cheaply, outside of the (now fading away) 3x categories, or who just don't mind paying for the convenience. (It's a bit analogous to paying taxes online with a credit card, often with a similar fee then actually called a "convenience fee".)

(To me, as someone who doesn't hasn't done "true" MSing to date, Plastiq only made sense when I needed to pay $1500ish of once-a-year auto insurance during a time I was working on a $8k minimum spend for the business SPG Amex signup bonus. In previous years i had gotten Visa gift cards, as my insurance company accepts debit gift cards or other debit cards but not credit cards, but this year my insurance company kept complaining that I needed to enable cookies -- which I already had enabled for their site -- to add a debit card, and so I just found it easier to do one Plastiq payment rather than buy 3 $500 gift cards and go through that hassle separately for each of them. And, btw, I had signed up for that SPG business Amex with the $8k spend requirement in part because I knew that this once-a-year payment would be coming up in the middle of the timeframe for that minimum spend.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 29, 2017 at 7:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.