Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
AMEX Delta business
AMEX business platinum and business gold (Canadian)
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
BofA - Amtrak World MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Barclaycard Arrival World MC
Chase Ink Cash Visa
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred (should give 2x, similar to CSR -- probably expired as of 6/5/17)
Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x, coded as travel -- this appears to have expired as of 6/5/17)
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category, misc. government services)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard
US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa

Successful Payees:
AAA (Socal, Santa Ana) insurance: Electronic payment: Processed 5/21 (Sunday), Complete 5/23, Arrived-Posted 5/26
ACS: took about 2 weeks to post
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check): 2 week turnaround
Citi Mortgage: Electronic - less than 1 week turnaround as of May 2017
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax & GST/HST remittances
Firstmark Services (student loan, electronically remitted)
Fidelity Bank (Mortgage) https://www.fidelitybank.com/ks/Home.aspx
Flagstar Bank (Mortgage), electronic payment, posts in 2-3 days.
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
NA Shade & Associates LLC
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
Nationstar Mortgage, electionic payment, post in 2-3 days.
New York Community Bank (NYCB) Mortgage: check mailed by Plastiq 4/27, posted 5/1.
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
PennyMac Mortgage: 1-1.5wk turnaround
TCF Mortgage: 1.5 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Wawanesa USA Insurance
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16

Restrictions
New VISA payments are not being accepted for mortgages.
Print Wikipost

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by batmandds
Same thing happened to me this month with my Wells Fargo mortgage...but let's not get Citi too involved if you know what I'm sayin.
I get what you are saying, the question is how to contact plastiq about it then? How do I know if I need to cancel the future payments as I don't want to buy thank you points paying my mortgage at $0.0175? When it was 3ty points per dollar I was buying them for $0.005833 and that value is great to me.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:52 pm

Can't edit the wiki yet, but my CSR Plastiq transactions have all gone through as purchases.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by rabbmd
I get what you are saying, the question is how to contact plastiq about it then? How do I know if I need to cancel the future payments as I don't want to buy thank you points paying my mortgage at $0.0175? When it was 3ty points per dollar I was buying them for $0.005833 and that value is great to me.
Unfortunately, the only way to contact them is by chat on their website (that I know of)
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
I just experienced this exact thing on my January 11th statement for a December 27th charge for my January mortgage payment. I had gotten 3x points twice on test $10 payments in October and on my full mortgage in on October 27th and November 27th charges. In citi.com I see the charge changed on their end from "Services - Real Estate Agents, Brokers, Managers" to "Services - Utilities - Electric, Gas, Sanitary, Water". I called citi once and after 30 minutes of idiots not understanding I got cut off. My payments still look to be real estate on plastiq. Did you get any resolution here?

If I don't get the 3x points I will not use plastiq for my mortgage anymore.
My mortgage payment is still pending, but it shows as REAL ESTATE AGENTS AND MANAGERS RENTALS. However Plastiq fee shows as MEMBERSHIP CLUBS-SPORTS,RECREATION. Last time I paid in November, and it gave me 3x for both with the same coding.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, Hyatt-Glob, all else dirt level
Yugi-
I've had similar things happen with vendor names changing while the charge is pending or a completely different name posts. I was told by Plastiq that it's something the Citi or Amex or whoever is doing on their side. In doing some digging online it does appear some card issuers use an automated process where there is an auto search for a vendor and whatever gets close in some cases applies. Strange, but that's what I've found.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:58 am

I just experienced this exact thing on my January 11th statement for a December 27th charge for my January mortgage payment. I had gotten 3x points twice on test $10 payments in October and on my full mortgage in on October 27th and November 27th charges. In citi.com I see the charge changed on their end from "Services - Real Estate Agents, Brokers, Managers" to "Services - Utilities - Electric, Gas, Sanitary, Water". I called citi once and after 30 minutes of idiots not understanding I got cut off. My payments still look to be real estate on plastiq. Did you get any resolution here?

If I don't get the 3x points I will not use plastiq for my mortgage anymore.
Plastiq was able to fix the issue for me. Their engineer reached out to the payment processer. Then the next payment looked good. It took a month and multiple follow-ups through chat to get this resolved but hopefully now they will be able to resolve for others also.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:54 pm

i am unable to add my macys amex card.

chatted with plastiq, they said the bank was rejecting it.
called the bank, they said they don't see anything from plastiq, nor declining anything
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by bodiddely
I got 3x points on my January Citi AT&T statement for my January mortgage payment to PNC via Plastiq. However, my escrow amount is going up slightly in February, and I have payments scheduled out through 2019 at the 1.75% promo rate. I previously got them to switch the card used for this payment series, but I chatted yesterday and they said no dice for changing the payment amount. Super annoying as I'm sure many/most people's mortgages change every year or so as the taxes, insurance rates etc fluctuate for the escrow portion.

Anyone have luck getting them to make such a change? The chat agent suggested setting up a 2nd payment series for the differential amount (it's like $80/month more), but I'm not sure if PNC would accept two partial payments. Anyone have experience with this?
I have the same issue (the amount for excrow changed), and got the same answer from them, but without the suggestion for two payments.

Cenlar (who now services my mortgage) has made it clear they will not accept two partial payments (and returned them when I tried to pay partially with a CITI check and partially from Plastiq.

I will try two payments. Some months ago I sent in two payments for the same date. Cenlar's records showed one payment for the required amount.

The Plastiq representative claimed they do not combine payments to the same firm on the same day, but the only way I can explain what happened is that either the Plastiq software combined them, or Cenlar's did.

Hopefully, if there is a problem I will learn of it in time to make a direct payment for the total from my bank.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:52 pm

rate for mastercard turns to 2.5%.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:59 am

Is there a referral thread to post referral links?

$200 off fees signing up with this link: [redacted]

Moderator note: Referral thread is at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/s-p-m...a-plastiq.html

Last edited by cbn42; Jan 21, 2017 at 4:31 am
Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: Chase UR, MR, RR
I posted this on reddit but forgot to post here.

Quick DP - if you pay via AMEX for the reduced 2% fees going on right now, if you try to use any Fee Free dollars (FFD) - it will increase the fee rate to 2.5%
Old Jan 21, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: Chase UR, MR, RR
2nd DP on Roundpoint Servicing - I paid again this month on Wednesday.

Card was charged right away (AMEX Plat), and it already cleared today
Old Jan 21, 2017, 6:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, UA Platinum
i just used my chase united club card to pay my rent on plastiq. it posted as purchase. will post it on wiki on top.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by wnysupport
I posted this on reddit but forgot to post here.

Quick DP - if you pay via AMEX for the reduced 2% fees going on right now, if you try to use any Fee Free dollars (FFD) - it will increase the fee rate to 2.5%
Thanks for the heads up, i was planning to use my recently earned FDD , i guess ill keep them for after the promo is over, and pay myself the current promotional rate
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by plainheart
rate for mastercard turns to 2.5%.
Hmm, I just started and got 2.0% for mastercard. Was that a one time benefit? If I had set up repeating payments, would have I maintained the 2%.

Any idea how long the 2% Amex deal is going on for?

Last edited by beachfan; Jan 23, 2017 at 11:21 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.