Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
AMEX Delta business
AMEX business platinum and business gold (Canadian)
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
BofA - Amtrak World MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Barclaycard Arrival World MC
Chase Ink Cash Visa
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred (should give 2x, similar to CSR -- probably expired as of 6/5/17)
Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x, coded as travel -- this appears to have expired as of 6/5/17)
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category, misc. government services)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard
US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa

Successful Payees:
AAA (Socal, Santa Ana) insurance: Electronic payment: Processed 5/21 (Sunday), Complete 5/23, Arrived-Posted 5/26
ACS: took about 2 weeks to post
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check): 2 week turnaround
Citi Mortgage: Electronic - less than 1 week turnaround as of May 2017
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax & GST/HST remittances
Firstmark Services (student loan, electronically remitted)
Fidelity Bank (Mortgage) https://www.fidelitybank.com/ks/Home.aspx
Flagstar Bank (Mortgage), electronic payment, posts in 2-3 days.
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
NA Shade & Associates LLC
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
Nationstar Mortgage, electionic payment, post in 2-3 days.
New York Community Bank (NYCB) Mortgage: check mailed by Plastiq 4/27, posted 5/1.
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
PennyMac Mortgage: 1-1.5wk turnaround
TCF Mortgage: 1.5 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Wawanesa USA Insurance
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16

Restrictions
New VISA payments are not being accepted for mortgages.
Print Wikipost

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by AjalaTraveler
I know some of you use Plastiq or similar services frequently; do they categorize your payments correctly so you are still able to accrue the right points for the sign up bonus?
The concept of "right points" does not compute. You may wish to revisit Chase's requirements for the CSR bonus. There is discussion in this thread regarding the merchant category Plastiq assigns itself, but it does not connect with "right points".

If perchance you are concerned with it being considered a cash advance, the Wiki shows five Chase cards that posted it as a purchase. In the mushy world of MS datapoints, that is pretty solid evidence a CA is unlikely to be a problem.

Whatever your concern, if it was a problem all these folks would not be using Plastiq.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by noassumptions
The concept of "right points" does not compute. You may wish to revisit Chase's requirements for the CSR bonus. There is discussion in this thread regarding the merchant category Plastiq assigns itself, but it does not connect with "right points".

If perchance you are concerned with it being considered a cash advance, the Wiki shows five Chase cards that posted it as a purchase. In the mushy world of MS datapoints, that is pretty solid evidence a CA is unlikely to be a problem.

Whatever your concern, if it was a problem all these folks would not be using Plastiq.
Thanks! Was not sure that I could assume that because it worked for other Chase cards it'd work for this as well.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:46 pm

I'm super new to manufacturerd spend and I've abandoned it three or four times because to find a starting point I have to read back like three years worth and most that data and tricks are not valid any more. I'm not looking to do this for a bunch of new cards or $20k a year or anything, I simply want to get the Chase Sapphire Reserve initial spend. I have a legit auto lease from GMFinancial (~$300/mo) that I guess I can make work (even if they have to send a check I don't mind paying REALLY early so it clears on time). Other then that I don't have any large bills that could be switched to a CC. I figure I can hit $1200 to $1500 on legit purchases in the next 90 days (including that lease). I just consolidated my other two outstanding credit cards with a personal loan from "Marcus" (underwriten by Goldman Sachs) and I'm wondering if Plastiq can be used to pay personal loans. Again I'm fine on if this is via a check from Plastiq because these will be additional payments to just pay the balance down faster. It'll be about $3,000 over a 90 day period (probably payments of $1200 each time).

I've read a bunch of reviews on points/travel blogs with Plastiq and about half of them mention they can be used to pay loans and the other half don't mention that. Has anyone had experience paying back a personal unsecured loan with Plastiq?

Edit: I should also note that this card will become my daily spender, so I'm not too worried about getting targeted as abusing the bonuses. Just usually spend heavy in the fall with a yearly vacation and over the holidays so beginning of the year until may-ish I really try to crack down on my spend and save :P

Last edited by acarney; Jan 9, 2017 at 3:21 pm
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I just got an e-mail from Plastiq offering a 2% fee on Amex payments until Feb. 28, 2017. Not a great deal, but may be good for someone trying to meet minimum spend.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
Originally Posted by acarney
I'm super new to manufacturerd spend and I've abandoned it three or four times because to find a starting point I have to read back like three years worth and most that data and tricks are not valid any more. I'm not looking to do this for a bunch of new cards or $20k a year or anything, I simply want to get the Chase Sapphire Reserve initial spend. I have a legit auto lease from GMFinancial (~$300/mo) that I guess I can make work (even if they have to send a check I don't mind paying REALLY early so it clears on time). Other then that I don't have any large bills that could be switched to a CC. I figure I can hit $1200 to $1500 on legit purchases in the next 90 days (including that lease). I just consolidated my other two outstanding credit cards with a personal loan from "Marcus" (underwriten by Goldman Sachs) and I'm wondering if Plastiq can be used to pay personal loans. Again I'm fine on if this is via a check from Plastiq because these will be additional payments to just pay the balance down faster. It'll be about $3,000 over a 90 day period (probably payments of $1200 each time).

I've read a bunch of reviews on points/travel blogs with Plastiq and about half of them mention they can be used to pay loans and the other half don't mention that. Has anyone had experience paying back a personal unsecured loan with Plastiq?

Edit: I should also note that this card will become my daily spender, so I'm not too worried about getting targeted as abusing the bonuses. Just usually spend heavy in the fall with a yearly vacation and over the holidays so beginning of the year until may-ish I really try to crack down on my spend and save :P
Yes, you can pay back a personal unsecured loan. If it's to a payee Plastiq doesn't recognize, they may request documentation from you of the loan you are paying off.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
Originally Posted by Low Roller
I just got an e-mail from Plastiq offering a 2% fee on Amex payments until Feb. 28, 2017. Not a great deal, but may be good for someone trying to meet minimum spend.
Yeah, not great for MS per se, but great for minimums. You can come out net positive if you do this in $5,000 increments with an AMEX Business Platinum card. 1.5x points for large purchases combined with $0.02/point when redeeming points for travel on your designated airline puts you ahead.

Paying a $5,000 bill will have a $100 fee. AMEX will provide 1.5x points on the $5K and 1x on the $100 (since they're separate transactions) for a total of 7600 points, which can then be redeemed for $152, or $52 profit, for an effective benefit of ~1%. You could certainly do better, but considering it's often for payments that don't accept credit cards, that's actually not bad. Especially toward a minimum.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Steven6702
Yeah, not great for MS per se, but great for minimums. You can come out net positive if you do this in $5,000 increments with an AMEX Business Platinum card. 1.5x points for large purchases combined with $0.02/point when redeeming points for travel on your designated airline puts you ahead.

Paying a $5,000 bill will have a $100 fee. AMEX will provide 1.5x points on the $5K and 1x on the $100 (since they're separate transactions) for a total of 7600 points, which can then be redeemed for $152, or $52 profit, for an effective benefit of ~1%. You could certainly do better, but considering it's often for payments that don't accept credit cards, that's actually not bad. Especially toward a minimum.
BINGO. I've got a new Plat biz coming this week and, while I could meet minimum in three months, it would be nice to get it over with. And it's $15k total, so not chump change. I'd forgotten about the 1.5x on 5k+. So instead of paying my 3k mortgage, I'm going to go ahead and prepay 2k more to get teh 1.5. Worth the extra $40 in fees to me. Thanks for reminding me.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:32 am

Okay, I have read through but just want to double check and make sure what I am about to do is okay. I am ready to completely pay off my student loan thru Fedloan for about $6,000. Cash is in my checking account. I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve.

I can load Plastiq with my Chase Reserve for the above amount and then Plastiq will cut a check to Fedloan?

I am new to all this, just trying to learn and want to make sure I do things the correct way. Thanks for your help.

Reading on Reddit, it appears Visa credit cards may code as a cash advance when loading money to Plastiq?

Last edited by Rjw615; Jan 12, 2017 at 7:41 am
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Low Roller
Thanks for the heads-up on the reduced Amex fee!
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:58 am

Amex Bus Platinum - Clawback issues

Using Plastiq I will be paying a mortgage and other bills to help meet my minimum spend. Has anyone ever had any problems doing this with Amex? Do they look at Plastiq as MS?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by dmarcus163
Using Plastiq I will be paying a mortgage and other bills to help meet my minimum spend. Has anyone ever had any problems doing this with Amex? Do they look at Plastiq as MS?
No, Amex has no issue with Plastiq.

Plastiq even advertised the 2x MR earning during the Small Business promo in Dec.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by sode0076
I have a reocurring payment set up for my mortgage. For the last two payments it has coded as "Services - Utilities - Electric, Gas, Sanitary, Water" and has only received 1 point per dollar for ATT Access More card statement. Previously, payments from same scheduled reocurring stream came through as "Services - Real Estate Agents, Brokers, Managers" and received 3 points per dollar. Plastiq confirmed recipient is still set up as Real Estate category and is looking into it. Has anyone else experienced this?
I just experienced this exact thing on my January 11th statement for a December 27th charge for my January mortgage payment. I had gotten 3x points twice on test $10 payments in October and on my full mortgage in on October 27th and November 27th charges. In citi.com I see the charge changed on their end from "Services - Real Estate Agents, Brokers, Managers" to "Services - Utilities - Electric, Gas, Sanitary, Water". I called citi once and after 30 minutes of idiots not understanding I got cut off. My payments still look to be real estate on plastiq. Did you get any resolution here?

If I don't get the 3x points I will not use plastiq for my mortgage anymore.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: AF Plat, DL Gold
Same thing happened to me this month with my Wells Fargo mortgage...but let's not get Citi too involved if you know what I'm sayin.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Originally Posted by batmandds
Same thing happened to me this month with my Wells Fargo mortgage...but let's not get Citi too involved if you know what I'm sayin.
^ ^
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:22 am

I got 3x points on my January Citi AT&T statement for my January mortgage payment to PNC via Plastiq. However, my escrow amount is going up slightly in February, and I have payments scheduled out through 2019 at the 1.75% promo rate. I previously got them to switch the card used for this payment series, but I chatted yesterday and they said no dice for changing the payment amount. Super annoying as I'm sure many/most people's mortgages change every year or so as the taxes, insurance rates etc fluctuate for the escrow portion.

Anyone have luck getting them to make such a change? The chat agent suggested setting up a 2nd payment series for the differential amount (it's like $80/month more), but I'm not sure if PNC would accept two partial payments. Anyone have experience with this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.