Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:50 pm
Suspended

[QUOTE=DTASFAB;27671176]It's mandatory if you're buying $3K or more (not including fees, so 3 x $998.40 technically would not trigger the mandatory requirement on its own) on a single visit or if the cashier has reason to believe you've bought a total of $3K or more in 24 hours.

I thought something was off and one of your links verified it. It is per BUSINESS DAY, not 24 hours:

"NOTICE TO CUSTOMER: By federal law, the United States Postal Service® is required to obtain information from the purchaser of money orders, wire
transfers, and stored value cards when the dollar amount of cash purchases total $3,000 or more (31 USC 5325 and 5331). Multiple purchases during
one business day totaling $3,000 or more must be treated as one purchase, and the information must be obtained if a Postal Service™ employee knows
or has reason to believe that multiple purchases are being made.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tigersgt
I read that only 4 swipes are allowed. Can I get 2 1k MO using 4 OVs + cash/debit for the fee?
I have never had issue with swipe limits at PO. I have done $10k with 20 swipes of $500.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Jedimaster.Darren
I have never had issue with swipe limits at PO. I have done $10k with 20 swipes of $500.
I just want to know exactly what you said Really! How were you able to keep a straight face - "I want 10 MOs, $998.40 each, and I want to use 20 debit cards with $500 on each. I will fill out any forms required"
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lesamuel
6x500 OV for $3k MO worked in SF today. I showed up with the form and the officer went into the back to make a ~10 minutes phone call. It had to do with me being a minor - hopefully no SARs have been filed!
Tip - You can do $2,995.20 without form and drain the same 6 cards. Have done this at 3 different post offices, even one rarely been to.

I have done form before too, but I go bigger for more like $7-10k.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by AmeriKop45
I just want to know exactly what you said Really! How were you able to keep a straight face - "I want 10 MOs, $998.40 each, and I want to use 20 debit cards with $500 on each. I will fill out any forms required"
I've done 22k in one go. I just tell them 22k. they type in 9000, 9000 and 4000. any amount up to 9000 will automatically populate out in the highest denominations available. for example, tell them you want 4500, they type it in and it sets up 4x1,000 and 1x500.
My PO knows and loves me and have no problem with that.
I hand them my license and SSN typed into my phone and they type that into computer. don't need actual form
Old Jan 5, 2017, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Tycoon007
Tip - You can do $2,995.20 without form and drain the same 6 cards. Have done this at 3 different post offices, even one rarely been to.

I have done form before too, but I go bigger for more like $7-10k.
you can do 2,999.99 and not do form. form required only for MO of 3k and up before fees. i did that today. 2x1000 + 1x999.99
Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:10 am

Programs: SPG-Hyatt-IHG-UA-AA-MR-UR
Are USPS clerks allowed to deny selling customers MOs? I was refused service even before being asked for the purchase amount and form of payment. I had only been in the store 3 times previously with only single $988.50 transactions and interacted only once with the same clerk. I have a feeling she had me confused with some MSer that must have been a heavy hitter at her store. Oh yeah, if I remember correctly, that last time and only time I purchased a MO from her (two weeks ago), she wasn't the friendliest of people either. Never had this problem with any of the other USPS offices I've visited before.

Last edited by chener; Jan 6, 2017 at 2:19 am
Old Jan 6, 2017, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by chener
Are USPS clerks allowed to deny selling customers MOs? I was refused service even before being asked for the purchase amount and form of payment. I had only been in the store 3 times previously with only single $988.50 transactions and interacted only once with the same clerk. I have a feeling she had me confused with some MSer that must have been a heavy hitter at her store. Oh yeah, if I remember correctly, that last time and only time I purchased a MO from her (two weeks ago), she wasn't the friendliest of people either. Never had this problem with any of the other USPS offices I've visited before.
Of course they can. If they suspect some funny business or potential ML, then they can question why. It is rather strange since you haven't interacted with the same clerk more than once. You could ask the USPS clerk why you are being denied but I wouldn't bother. Certainly you are not entitled to always be allowed to buy MOs there. It could also be a branch manager thing where the clerks are being told to become suspicious if the same guy comes in and asks for the same amount.

Best advice is just go to a different USPS branch or try out other clerks until you find one that doesn't care. Its not worth trying to burn other branches. I have a similar situation at a USPS branch which I no longer go to since 1 time they wanted me to fill out "the form" which I was not willing to do since I was not even buying anywhere near $3K of MOs.

Last edited by ericdabbs; Jan 6, 2017 at 12:10 pm
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:05 am

I was told to never come back for another MO at one of the POs.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:42 am

Just tested out my first MS transaction. I bought a $500 Bancorp Vanilla card at Walgreens with a $4.95 fee. Took it to the PO here in DFW and got a MO for $497 (I'll use the leftover funds at the grocery store). No problems at all.

Is there a difference between the $4.95 and 5.95 cards? They both said Bancorp.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by poisson
Just tested out my first MS transaction. I bought a $500 Bancorp Vanilla card at Walgreens with a $4.95 fee. Took it to the PO here in DFW and got a MO for $497 (I'll use the leftover funds at the grocery store). No problems at all.

Is there a difference between the $4.95 and 5.95 cards? They both said Bancorp.
1 $ what did I win
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by yoyo
1 $ what did I win
That's it? There is no difference at all? I wonder if they charge $1 extra for certain card designs?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by poisson
That's it? There is no difference at all? I wonder if they charge $1 extra for certain card designs?
Even if someone wanted to answer this more seriously they wouldn't be able to since they didn't see the cards and you didn't provide enough description. It's likely there's no difference though. Why did you buy at Walgreens, do you have a card that earns rewards at drugs stores?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by dothemath
Even if someone wanted to answer this more seriously they wouldn't be able to since they didn't see the cards and you didn't provide enough description. It's likely there's no difference though. Why did you buy at Walgreens, do you have a card that earns rewards at drugs stores?
I don't think that matters....as I understand that $1 more ones are "designer" versions or better looking than $4.95 version....it's like scented VISA GCs at WM....
Old Jan 6, 2017, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by noturbizniss
I've done 22k in one go. I just tell them 22k. they type in 9000, 9000 and 4000. any amount up to 9000 will automatically populate out in the highest denominations available. for example, tell them you want 4500, they type it in and it sets up 4x1,000 and 1x500.
My PO knows and loves me and have no problem with that.
I hand them my license and SSN typed into my phone and they type that into computer. don't need actual form
That PO really needs an education. What if ML is really going on there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.