Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
the one i was talking about is the variable $20-$500 so no, thats not it.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by shawnster1
As I mentioned earlier, one of the differences between this "straw bow" card and the previous $200 MCGC is that its manufactured by Blackhawk as opposed to US Bancorp.

I do find it interesting that the variable MCGC is manufactured by Blackhawk, yet you can still unload it at the PO.
any way of verifying that it's manufactured by blackhawk on the actual packaging or card? i think it's blackhawk, because that's what it says on my grocery receipt "blkhwk mastercard."
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by cpnyc
any way of verifying that it's manufactured by blackhawk on the actual packaging or card?
Read the back of the package.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:14 pm

I finally finished all of my MS this week. I did about $8000 in the last month. All of it was with OVGC at the PO, 500 at a time. I did not feel like doing more than one GC at a time. I never had any issues with using the OVGC. I did not try anything else though.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena
Read the back of the package.
it's definitely a us bank mcgc per the packagign, but the grocery receipt calls it a "blkhwk mastercard". maybe it's an error. in any case, will try one of the new mcgc if i ever come across one.

Originally Posted by spencenaz
I finally finished all of my MS this week. I did about $8000 in the last month. All of it was with OVGC at the PO, 500 at a time. I did not feel like doing more than one GC at a time. I never had any issues with using the OVGC. I did not try anything else though.
same here, regarding 1 gc at a time...the extra 80 cents is a non-issue, considering that the nearest walmart is >$5 roundtrip.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by 1353513636
Old MCGC by US Bank okay at East Bay today.

OTOH, was informed that it was new policy that anyone who uses multiple debit cards for MOs needs to fill out the suspicious transaction report. She really took her time; spent almost 30 minutes.

I suspect, they're just recording your transaction for their own purposes. How much were you buying?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
USB MCGC worked fine today. Variable $500 variety.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:50 pm

I do find it interesting that the variable MCGC is manufactured by Blackhawk, yet you can still unload it at the PO.
Blackhawk doesnt manufacture nor issue any cards of any amount.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Blackhawk doesnt manufacture nor issue any cards of any amount.
I stand corrected.

I have in my possession a MCGC for $200 that is ISSUED by US bank, and it is DISTRIBUTED & SERVICED by Blackhawk Network California.

Can you explain why this MCGC ISSUED by US Bank, and DISTRIBUTED & SERVICED by Blackhawk will not work in the post office?
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by spencenaz
If more people did this (i.e. 500 at a time) then this MS method would probably last for a long time. Using multiple gift cards during one visit is asking for trouble.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:54 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I stand corrected.

I have in my possession a MCGC for $200 that is ISSUED by US bank, and it is DISTRIBUTED & SERVICED by Blackhawk Network California.

Can you explain why this MCGC ISSUED by US Bank, and DISTRIBUTED & SERVICED by Blackhawk will not work in the post office?
Cards are accepted or rejected based on the BIN, which is the first 6 digits. Would you mind sharing them? If you don't want to post them, then just compare them to the BIN of other Blackhawk cards that don't work at the PO and see if they match.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
I too was rejected with a US Bank issued Blackhawk MCGC at the Post Office today. Purchased at ACME. It was a variable load, $5.95 fee, first 8 digits 5428 3701. I only put $50 on as a test and I already drained the card paying my car insurance so I know it was active.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by jags86
I too was rejected with a US Bank issued Blackhawk MCGC at the Post Office today. Purchased at ACME. It was a variable load, $5.95 fee, first 8 digits 5428 3701. I only put $50 on as a test and I already drained the card paying my car insurance so I know it was active.
interesting...mine start with the same first 6 digits but work in ny. what part of the country are you in?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by cpnyc
interesting...mine start with the same first 6 digits but work in ny. what part of the country are you in?
North Jersey. I have no issue with OV VGC.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:51 pm

Did anyone try Metabank issued VISA gcs from OD in POs lately?

3-4 months ago it was not working

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.