Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: SPG preferred, AA, United
Originally Posted by CarlosRodrigue
What about buying stamps? Can I do that with an OV Visa? Is it just the MO that won't work or is it anything?
If you are allowed to buy stamps with a cc then it should be allowed. The OVs show up as a cc.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by daprophecy
If you are allowed to buy stamps with a cc then it should be allowed. The OVs show up as a cc.

Ok. I give up . How do you get rid of the stamps ?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: Several dozen
Meh - my postal folk never hated on me. It was all Upper Management. Speaking of Upper Management did you see about how Upper Management at One World recently committed that big fraud?

On another subject it has been said that "To the USPS, all that matters is whether something that USPS sells can be used for money laundering, even if only inefficiently, even if only by a small fraction of the stupidest money-launderers." If we follow that to its logical conclusion, the US Mint should stop producing money because money can be used for money laundering even if only by a small fraction of the stupidest money-launderers. Heck in our cash only real estate markets down in the Miami area I suspect that fraction ain't small at all.

Originally Posted by daprophecy
Lol don't give ideas! POs already hate us!
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:13 am

In the latest fiscal year (10/1/16-9/30/17), the PO made $148K in revenue on MO's. This is only 0.3% of their total revenue. MO's simply do not make a dent for them and although that number will go down next year, it will have little effect on their bottom line. PO FY'17 numbers are posted here.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: IHG, Hilton diamond (IHG match) SPG gold
Originally Posted by FrankMS
In the latest fiscal year (10/1/16-9/30/17), the PO made $148K in revenue on MO's. This is only 0.3% of their total revenue. MO's simply do not make a dent for them and although that number will go down next year, it will have little effect on their bottom line. PO FY'17 numbers are posted here.
Try $146,000,000 figures are x 1000 - still relatively small though
Old Nov 18, 2017, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by 808pineapple
Try $146,000,000 figures are x 1000 - still relatively small though
Small is relative. It's about half as much as they get from renting PO boxes.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
Originally Posted by fgirard
It also depends on the clerk and how busy the store is. If one shows up, say, during the afternoon/evening rush, and the clerk is just a non-managerial employee, they really don't want to waste their time verifying cards. It's totally a YMMV situation, and took about 4-5 different SB's to figure out which ones to go to.
Seems like a situation where a personalized GCM card might work. I'll remember that when I have to do MS for an opening bonus.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: Several dozen
Shut It All Down

OMG, Post Office Boxes are also used by some money launderers and fraudsters. Use of multiple Post Office boxes or changes addresses frequently is a well known big red flag for fraud and money laundering. USPS Top Management has got to shut them all down now or risk being cited for hypocrisy for shutting down postal money order purchase by gift cards to reduce risk for money laundering and fraud.

Demand now that USPS Management do their job and shut down all Post Office Boxes to reduce risk for fraud and money laundering. And then we have to demand they shut down the whole mail delivery system to reduce risk of mail fraud. USPS Management claims they run a watertight ship when it comes to fraud and money laundering, but their ship is no more watertight than the Titanic and may be destined to share its fate.

Originally Posted by tuphat
Small is relative. It's about half as much as they get from renting PO boxes.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 11:12 am

Looking for some help. All I have about 10,000 worth of OVs. Could someone kindly PM me on how I can cash these? Appreciate any help.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by woow14610
Looking for some help. All I have about 10,000 worth of OVs. Could someone kindly PM me on how I can cash these? Appreciate any help.
This can't be a true posting?????
Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:30 am

Can you buy the VGC in places like WM, other grocery stores where they still sell VGC? and convert them into MG at WM and then deposit in your bank.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
This can't be a true posting?????
Why do you think that? I got 4 cards and was trying to make the initial spend to get the signup bonus. That is all I do. I did a money order for first 3000 just before they close this method. Next day I goes and it doesn't work so got stuck with these cards.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:23 am

Thumbs down

Why do you think that? I got 4 cards and was trying to make the initial spend to get the signup bonus. That is all I do. I did a money order for first 3000 just before they close this method. Next day I goes and it doesn't work so got stuck with these cards.
Your decision to ignore all of the countless advice given in this forum about not purchasing more than you can afford to get stuck was extremely misguided. It is rude of you to expect that other members give up their sensitive and possibly short term liquidation methods to help you out of a jam you are responsible for. That is why the previous poster asked you if your post was serious, because if it is serious, it's borderline offensive.

(Is this better mods?)
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: SPG preferred, AA, United
Originally Posted by shipitkthx
Your decision to ignore all of the countless advice given in this forum about not purchasing more than you can afford to get stuck was extremely misguided. It is rude of you to expect that other members give up their sensitive and possibly short term liquidation methods to help you out of a jam you are responsible for. That is why the previous poster asked you if your post was serious, because if it is serious, it's borderline offensive.

(Is this better mods?)
Well he never said he couldn't afford. He was just asking of ways to liquidate. I know other people who have similar amounts looking for ways to liquidate. Anyway you can do as another poster mentioned and buy VGC and try to liquidate through WM. You can try to do some regular spend which is counterintuitive. You can prepay some bills which might be easiest. I think your last option would be to sell them for a discount.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by shipitkthx

(Is this better mods?)
Its not offensive, but I do agree with you about why a person shouldnt simply load up on GCs if all they have is 1 way to unload them. Now I doubt most folks loaded up on Vanilla's, but I do remember a few yrs back when there was a cheaper GC that was for the likes of Lowes or HD and they worked at Wallys as well thusly able to unload them, then bam it died, I know since I purchased 2 that same day 2 hrs before it died. I did have some large purchases that had to be made so I used them as they intended but many folks were running around not knowing what to do

Can you imagine what would happen when Wally KOs all GCs and folks went to SM w/o knowing that, w/o a doubt there will be 100s of 1000s of SMGCs out there, with folks not knowing how to unload the $9500 they and their wife (etc) just purchased, its only a matter of time

I hope that poster can afford the float and they should stop using any CC and start using up the GCs. Maybe even prepay some bills even that charge 2-3% if using a CC/DC. The other thing I would do is go to a near by town where I dont shop on a reg basis and try the different stores that sell MOs to see if it works, only do 1 or 2 cards max , and simply go to other stores of the same chain

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.