Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:06 pm

I got a money order at the USPS, but said I wanted to use two debit cards. The worker said he needed to make a photo-copy of the cards and wrote down my name and driver's license. He says people have been doing scams so the supervisor needs to approve and they capture this information.

I didn't make a big fuss about it, but it certainly alarmed me. I'm not doing a ton in MS, but I still don't want to get contacted by some agent asking what I'm doing.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by schrute
... asking what I'm doing.
"I need to purchase a money order, and for business purposes, I need to use this particular debit card."

If they ask further or decline you in any way, play dumb, blame your accountant, leave, and try another day.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptom
"I need to purchase a money order, and for business purposes, I need to use this particular debit card."

If they ask further or decline you in any way, play dumb, blame your accountant, leave, and try another day.
I imagine this guy filled out a SAR on me or no?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:56 pm

I got a money order at the USPS, but said I wanted to use two debit cards. The worker said he needed to make a photo-copy of the cards and wrote down my name and driver's license. He says people have been doing scams so the supervisor needs to approve and they capture this information.

I didn't make a big fuss about it, but it certainly alarmed me. I'm not doing a ton in MS, but I still don't want to get contacted by some agent asking what I'm doing.
What state or region do you live in? I'm thinking most of these situations are PO or region specific so would be helpful for others to know and identify any patterns.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Ultraboost
What state or region do you live in? I'm thinking most of these situations are PO or region specific so would be helpful for others to know and identify any patterns.
CA
Old Jul 4, 2017, 5:37 am

CA
city?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Screw that - go to walmart.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by pharmawalk
Screw that - go to walmart.
Haha, no WM around..
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
So I may have found the solution: pay the fee first.
Tried that this morning, charges showing as pending. Thanks!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by BHArt
Tried that this morning, charges showing as pending. Thanks!
I think the nickel and diming and double/triple transactions is influencing USPS to be more strict with MOs.

I buy a $500 gift card and go to the post office and ask for a money order for $495. The total fee is $496.20, and I get it without incident. I have a few bucks left on my gift card that I use next time I'm at a store. Can't be easier.

Yes, we're able to pay cash for the money order upfront, and then pay the remainder with the gift card, but you're just asking for trouble, asking to be noticed, and ultimately asking to be shut down. Same thing is true for buying a single $1,000 money order across two different gift-debit cards. You're just asking for something to go wrong.

Many of you may disagree, but for me, it's worth an extra $1.20 to do a single transaction on a single swipe. If I really really NEED to use two $500 GCs in one day, just make two transactions right after one another. "Sorry, can i have one more please? Same amount." That's a far better approach than sitting there instructing a disgruntled worker on how to split transactions across two (or more) different payment methods in order for you to save a buck twenty.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt
or you can just make friends with your PO people and make 10k+ purchases every day without incident.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by shitrus
or you can just make friends with your PO people and make 10k+ purchases every day without incident.
Yes, pretty much ANYTHING you can do without incident is better than raising some kind of attention toward yourself. And obviously having a friend help you out is far superior to telling a stranger "You have to let me do it. FlyerTalk said so."
Old Jul 6, 2017, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by shitrus
Let's all move to Cincinnati. Anyways I'm more curious how you are able to deposit $300k worth of MOs monthly, unless ofcourse you also make friends with 20 different bank tellers.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Let's all move to Cincinnati. Anyways I'm more curious how you are able to deposit $300k worth of MOs monthly, unless ofcourse you also make friends with 20 different bank tellers.
Is it even possible to avoid any report even if the branch mgr is a family member? I thought the computers picks it all up and it cant be squashed. Would love to know what bank would let 100k forget about 300k a month w/o any problems or reporting taking place
Old Jul 7, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
find a good bank and it can be done

also i dont ever use human tellers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.