Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2017, 11:02 am

Tried to use MCGC at USPS today and got hardcode denial.
Originally Posted by shawnster1
Was the picture on the MCGC a straw bow with a grey background?

I mentioned a little while ago that I also had an issue with MCGC.
The new packaging says that these MCGC were produced by the blackhawk network. I don't think that is the issue, because a little while back I bought $500 MCGC from giftcards.com, and they were from the blackhawk network, and I was able to purchase a MO from PO without a problem.
Old May 5, 2017, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by savingwizard
Tried to use MCGC at USPS today and got hardcode denial.
Who issued the MCGC you used? I used a MCGC today issued by Bancorp and had no issue.
Old May 6, 2017, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I'm paying with ax 5% card for OVs and @ CVS I reloaded PP since WAG hardcoded them cash since the start of this year, IINM.

I know for most people WAG only takes cash, but I don't think it's hardcoded. My local WAG, CVS, and Rite all take CC.

I live in a small town though.
Old May 6, 2017, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by eclipsor
I know for most people WAG only takes cash, but I don't think it's hardcoded. My local WAG, CVS, and Rite all take CC.
FWR, only paypal and the other reloadable cards (MVD, NS, etc) are now hardcoded for cash at my go-to WAG. I know it's hardcoded because the cashiers allow me to buy as many as six OVs in one trxn with CC but when it comes to PP, they see a message on screen that tells them cash only. It's a minor inconvinience for me since I can do my PPreloads @ CVS and still get my 5%.
Old May 6, 2017, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
Do the serial numbers on the back of the card and expiration dates match those on the back of the packaging?
Actually, the set of 3 un-activated OV don't match the packaging they came out of. One of the packagings is one digit off from one of the cards, but the other two aren't similar at all. No signs of tampering. What the hell happened? Factory error or mishandling?

Tip from my recent experience: if available, get the Vanillas with the gift card/gift box design rather than OV. They come in several packaging designs, including some flashy birthday-branded ones, but the cards themselves are dark gray, not sparkly like OV, and have the word "Gift" written in large cursive letters as part of the background of the card face. The good thing about these is that, IME, they have two identifying numbers on the card back: one that is also found on the receipt (last 4 digits only) and one that is found at the end of the long string of numbers underneath the packaging's barcode. With the former number, you don't even need the packaging in order to match a card to a receipt.
OV only has the latter number, from below the packaging's barcode, and so cannot be matched to a receipt without the packaging.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:39 pm

One of those days ---

Although I normally go to two PO's near me, I went to a different one today, albeit in same town. Asked to purchase 2X $998.40 MOs -- my "usual." The clerk reacted like I had asked him to microwave a kitten.

He immediately puts a PS Form 8105-A in front of me. I show him where the form is required only for CASH purchases of MOs totaling more than $3k. He insists on me filling it out, waved around some sort of memo/printed email and kept muttering "998.40."

Anyway, I filled out the form and got my MOs. Curious to see if this is beginning of a trend, or an outlier.
Old May 9, 2017, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat
One of those days ---

Although I normally go to two PO's near me, I went to a different one today, albeit in same town. Asked to purchase 2X $998.40 MOs -- my "usual." The clerk reacted like I had asked him to microwave a kitten.

He immediately puts a PS Form 8105-A in front of me. I show him where the form is required only for CASH purchases of MOs totaling more than $3k. He insists on me filling it out, waved around some sort of memo/printed email and kept muttering "998.40."

Anyway, I filled out the form and got my MOs. Curious to see if this is beginning of a trend, or an outlier.
Is it really surprising that it sounds shady as hell to be asking for a $998.40 MO split over two separate debit cards?
Old May 9, 2017, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by brody24
Is it really surprising that it sounds shady as hell to be asking for a $998.40 MO split over two separate debit cards?
My monthly rent is $2,000 so I pay cash for the $3.20 in MO fees.
Old May 9, 2017, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by guywhocan
What does one have to do with the other? A MO for 2000 is a MO for 2000, regardless of how the fee is paid.
Old May 10, 2017, 2:59 pm

What does one have to do with the other? A MO for 2000 is a MO for 2000, regardless of how the fee is paid.
I think his point is that rent payments are usually whole dollar amounts, so $2000 sounds more realistic than $1996.80.

Though, there are various other things that could be paid with MO that are not whole dollar amounts. But still, it seems unlikely that you would have a bunch of payments to make that are exactly $998.40 or $1996.80.
Old May 10, 2017, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by guywhocan
Originally Posted by sbft77
I think his point is that rent payments are usually whole dollar amounts, so $2000 sounds more realistic than $1996.80.

Though, there are various other things that could be paid with MO that are not whole dollar amounts. But still, it seems unlikely that you would have a bunch of payments to make that are exactly $998.40 or $1996.80.
When I do this, I get a MO for 975 (1 VGC has 500, the other has 476.60). So i can say "Put $500 on the frist card, and the rest on the other". Makes it seem more natural IMO.

Yes I'm leaving $24 on the floor, but I prefer that over the (personally perceived) awkwardness of 998.40 money order.
Old May 10, 2017, 4:36 pm

Do US Bank Prepaid mastercards (Blackhawk) Work at USPS still? My local usps still accepts Bancorp, wondering if US bank works as well
Old May 11, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AJDem
Do US Bank Prepaid mastercards (Blackhawk) Work at USPS still? My local usps still accepts Bancorp, wondering if US bank works as well
I just tried to buy a $495 MO at DC area PO using US Bank Prepaid MC ... was declined by the system. Switched to my OVGC and it worked.

Can anyone tell me if I can use the US Bank prepaid MC at WM? Becuase I went the other day to WM and the change payment method option never came up... it automatically wanted me to sign for the transaction and then the cashier told me I cant use a credit card...
Old May 11, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by AJDem
Slightly different, but interested to see whether the Blackhawk Visa GC from Whole Foods works at USPS. Will try it myself if I don't get a response but would be good to know beforehand.
Old May 11, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Lavezzi
Slightly different, but interested to see whether the Blackhawk Visa GC from Whole Foods works at USPS. Will try it myself if I don't get a response but would be good to know beforehand.
Isn't Blackhawk Visa from Whole Foods MetaBank? Never tried but always assumed it was no. If the US Bank MGCs aren't working anymore, that's probably the end for Whole Foods.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.