Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dogbyte
I read the memo, but many of the words are out of the picture frame. Are they banning the use of GCs for MOs purchases? It looks like they are telling the CSMs about asking the customer to sign it before processing the MO purchase, but they are allowing the use of GCs. My go-to PO told me that they are not allowed, but maybe the misinterpreted the memo.
No, they are banning the use of GCs for MO purchases, but allowing the use of gift cards for any other Post Office purchases. With that, they want front of house staff to be checking that the cards have been signed and match to an ID.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by buruch
Yes. Was a variable. What kind have you trouble?
ROFL...the grammar got me so confused. Yes it was a variable USB MCGC. I have never had problems before with USB MCGCs but just wanted to know if this is a new development. I have been out of the game for a few months.

Is this just recent or has been going on for awhile?

Last edited by ericdabbs; Apr 20, 2017 at 10:35 am
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptom
Did the clerk inform you of all this before letting you swipe? Or did you swipe, and the machine rejected the card and alerted him?

Either way, pretty cool that they let you take a pic of the memo
Yah, first thing she said to me was,"we can't sell it anymore, etc. etc.". She showed me the memo to prove to me. She felt bad about it too. At least it is not hardcoded into their system. So if you can fine a cashier that haven't read the memo, it will still be good.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by guywhocan
Here is my best guess for the sentences are cut off:

oney

may not be

ack
ered a gift

med
name

as possible. The
Haha. Maybe. Sorry for the bad camera work on my part. The cashier explained to me that they are instructed to look at the card to see that my name and bank name I name is on the card. And that looking at my ID also.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by sosamo
Haha. Maybe. Sorry for the bad camera work on my part. The cashier explained to me that they are instructed to look at the card to see that my name and bank name I name is on the card. And that looking at my ID also.
This is nothing new. Few months back they said they need to check ID and name on debt card then they forgot about it. One PO makes copy of my ID and doesn't look at debt card, another doesn't check anything. Some let me buy just one, others have no limits. It's been YMMV for long time. As long as it is not hard coded I'm good.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by sosamo
So if you can fine a cashier that haven't read the memo, it will still be good.
A few weeks ago, I noticed a PO clerk had that memo taped right on top of her cash register, but she didn't let me see it (or take a photo!!)

In my case she started to process it, and the machine allowed her. Then toward the end she remembered the memo and told me she had to cancel the transaction. If she hadn't remembered the memo, then it woulda went through.

So I totally agree with you that if a clerk forgets the memo or hasn't ready it, we still have a chance.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
ROFL...the grammar got me so confused. Yes it was a variable USB MCGC. I have never had problems before with USB MCGCs but just wanted to know if this is a new development. I have been out of the game for a few months.

Is this just recent or has been going on for awhile?
Sorry

Have you successfully used usbmc variables since the metas were shut down?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:30 pm

So time to get a magnetic strip reader/writer and old bank debit card? :P
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by acarney
So time to get a magnetic strip reader/writer and old bank debit card? :P
I'm actually surprised there isn't some sort a reusable sticker sold(like a "fathead" material) that you can customize and place on top of gift cards, that make it look like a bank debit. Who knows, maybe there is?!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Are people having issues with USB MCGCs?
USB MC (and an OV) still worked for me today, in California. I don't know if the expiration date of the USB MC matters; mine is 01/25, and it's a $500 variable card, bought at a grocery store.

Last edited by sbft77; Apr 20, 2017 at 7:05 pm
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by sbft77
USB MC (and an OV) still worked for me today, in California. I don't know if the expiration date of the USB MC matters; mine is 01/25.
socal?? I have been refused at 3 diffrent locations in socal
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by rg84
socal?? I have been refused at 3 diffrent locations in socal
I'm in the southern half of the state, but north of LA.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:23 am

Mine was a hard coded decline. Swiped 3 times. Called csr and they said it never showed up on their end.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:35 am
soy

Programs: various
For anyone else reporting that they cannot buy MO at USPS, it would be useful to others to give at least the state where this occurred. Otherwise the datapoints are pretty useless.
Right now this appears to be limited to one part of one state (CA)
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by soy
For anyone else reporting that they cannot buy MO at USPS, it would be useful to others to give at least the state where this occurred. Otherwise the datapoints are pretty useless.
Right now this appears to be limited to one part of one state (CA)
yes may be limited to orange county. I gotta try outside of OC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.