Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: Several dozen
Have USPS PMOed in some very small POs in the Great American Southwest and the State of Misery so it can be done. That said, this was with official POs, not small contract ones.

Originally Posted by HGHUA
Hmm. I live in an area where there exist around me many tiny 1 room post offices. I wonder if I'd be easier there or it would just kick up more suspicion. I only need 4k to meet min spend...
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Jetblue Mosaic, Alaska MVP Gold, National Executive Elite
Anybody having issues with Onevanilla? Today is the first day at my PO that it seemed like the registered was hard coded to not allow a MO purchase with OV.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by HGHUA
Hmm. I live in an area where there exist around me many tiny 1 room post offices. I wonder if I'd be easier there or it would just kick up more suspicion. I only need 4k to meet min spend...
Originally Posted by ECCM
They'd definitely remember you in the smaller places, especially if MOs are your only transactions. You can do it once every few months, but I wouldn't do it too often. Best to spread it out over different offices.
In my experience, those pokey, small town POs are very friendly and productive for purchasing MOs.

And remember, contrary to the above poster and your own paranoia, you are doing nothing wrong - simply purchasing a legitimate product with legal tender.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Gitangali
What's maximum amount of multiple MOs you can get at USPS with split payment(debit) in a day, I understand maximum MO denomination is 1K and you have to file form if the amount is over 3K.

I have read somewhere here a while ago, 7 or 8 swipes per transaction?? that would put it at $4K when using 500 VGC.
Max amount is 10x$1000 MO. No swipe limit at PO.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: ANA PLATINUM,HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM
Originally Posted by Gitangali
What's maximum amount of multiple MOs you can get at USPS with split payment(debit) in a day, I understand maximum MO denomination is 1K and you have to file form if the amount is over 3K.

I have read somewhere here a while ago, 7 or 8 swipes per transaction?? that would put it at $4K when using 500 VGC.
I used 32 cards in 1 transaction the other day for a total of $16,000.00
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by zhaofa90
Anybody having issues with Onevanilla? Today is the first day at my PO that it seemed like the registered was hard coded to not allow a MO purchase with OV.
From time to time PO system doesn't accept OVs, maybe once a month then next day it is back to normal.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:37 pm

Just came back from my normal run with OV's today. No issues.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by THECLIPPERS
That's perhaps all time high for one transaction that I know of.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:03 pm

How exactly do you manage to carry in all those cards AND your balls!? That's insane!! :P
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:50 pm

That's great and all and I hope you weren't holding up the line or making the cashier super annoyed.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:58 pm

Anyone have experience on filling out the forms? Will an inspector actually come?

Just visit a USPS and was asked to fill out the form citing suspicious activity. And he said that A LOT of people are doing this recently, multiple debits with ~2k MO. This USPS was not asking ppl to fill out forms last week...
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by westsai
Anyone have experience on filling out the forms? Will an inspector actually come?

Just visit a USPS and was asked to fill out the form citing suspicious activity. And he said that A LOT of people are doing this recently, multiple debits with ~2k MO. This USPS was not asking ppl to fill out forms last week...
if YOUR PO is already giving hints of suspicious activity with those who buy MOs with multiple DCs, take it as a warning especially if you plan to do at least 2 swipes. If you're only doing one swipe, there's no reason for them to suspect you're "one of them". But it's really up to you depending on your risk tolerance. I know a lot of people that have gotten warnings they didn't heed and then...their greatest fear happened.

as to PIs going to visit you, you'll find out once they're there
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by zhaofa90
I used OV to buy a money order today at PO and worked fine.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: United Gold (frmer. 1k and GS), AAdvantage Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Gold
Just realized I accidentally bought a Vanilla Visa (with Cursive gift on the front) instead of an OV. Any DPs as to rejection @ PO with these?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by alphakenny1
That's great and all and I hope you weren't holding up the line or making the cashier super annoyed.
The other day one postal clerk told me about a guy who did $20K in one transaction. And this was mostly with $100/$200 GCs (a pile of them). He held up the line for 45 minutes. He also had rubber stamp with name/signature etc so he was apparently stamping the MOs as they were printed and handed out.

THIS is why good things won't last. This idiot is going to kill the POs in my area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.