Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by randomdude
OneVanilla en espagńol. Tarjeta Prepagada Mastercard.
I've seen those. Wasn't sure if the MC would work.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:40 pm

This thread is marked DEAD, but it's not completely dead.
Some small, rural PO still process VGC into MO. I did it today.
Clerks at these small POs do not have touch screens.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: ANA PLATINUM,HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Will test today and see if they post. Our dear friends gone postal have an internal control that requires constantly playing a game of BIN whack-a-mole.

I have not. Do they work and if so where do you buy them?
[/QUOTE]

How did the test go?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: ANA PLATINUM,HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM
Originally Posted by shdflyer
This thread is marked DEAD, but it's not completely dead.
Some small, rural PO still process VGC into MO. I did it today.
Clerks at these small POs do not have touch screens.
Interesting!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: Several dozen
No good, USPS flipped 5432 7665 XXXX XXXX from debit to credit and would not process. How did the test go?[/QUOTE]
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:37 pm

Yes, USPS still lives on as a crippled zombie haunting rural areas. Anyone feeding this poor child of Marie Laveau a SunTrust debit? This escapee from a George Romero film may also eat a UFB debit, but the bank says won't give miles for USPS transactions.

Originally Posted by THECLIPPERS
Interesting!
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
No good, USPS flipped 5432 7665 XXXX XXXX from debit to credit and would not process.

How did the test go?
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the update.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:15 pm

So Walmart is the only way to cash GC now to MO?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:00 am

No, just that all other YMMV alternatives are not going public.

Originally Posted by Shadow Rider
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps the only nationwide way. (Tho it apparently only works at some, not all, Walmarts these days.)

Ie, Walmart and the Post Office are nationwide. Most other places you can buy MOs (whether they allow GCs or not) are not nationwide.

So there may be something near you, but you have to find it yourself, because there's not likely someone else in the same place as you who's going to publish what works near you.

Start by figuring out what places near you sell money orders at all, and then figure out if any of them accept gift cards for money orders.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Perhaps the only nationwide way. (Tho it apparently only works at some, not all, Walmarts these days.)

Ie, Walmart and the Post Office are nationwide. Most other places you can buy MOs (whether they allow GCs or not) are not nationwide.

So there may be something near you, but you have to find it yourself, because there's not likely someone else in the same place as you who's going to publish what works near you.
Ah I see...ah sucks to see all these old reliable places we had go away.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:22 am

Not really; you may have to check the grocery stores and gas stations near you that sell MO. They have different fees and max limit of MO, some will accept debit while others are strictly cash only.

I was in another town and wanted to drain my SimonGCs and was in line next to a guy who was buying $875.xx MO. There was a commotion since the cashier asked for his ID, occupation and wanted him to input his SSN. He questioned this since he was always buying MO of this amount and none of this requirements. He was told by cashier that is coming from MoneyGram. I inched my way out of there while the guy asked for a supervisor to clarify this 'new' policy. At the WM a few blocks away, it was BAU, I don't know where all these weird policies are coming from but I'm glad that it does not affect all WMs. I don't ask, just leave quietly if I don't agree with a 'new policy' so as not to draw attention to me.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:36 am

Search befuddlement. Can someone recap utility/availability of using Discover debit card to purchase MOs at USPS or elsewhere? Thanks.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by Mamibear
I don't ask, just leave quietly if I don't agree with a 'new policy' so as not to draw attention to me.
Wise move.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by tuphat
Search befuddlement. Can someone recap utility/availability of using Discover debit card to purchase MOs at USPS or elsewhere? Thanks.
You're better off doing this at Walmart and Supermarkets for random amounts so it doesn't look like an obvious MO purchase and trigger their request for you to supply a receipt for verification.
Keep in mind that these usually trigger a security block and you have to call in and provide them with a code they text to you. Process is cumbersome and takes 10-15 minutes to unblock each time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.