Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by princesakura
But the RC... if you accidentally drop it in a hotel lobby, it will bounce and clang like a metal pipe.
That's how you know you have a classy card.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: BA, AA, DA, UA, CO
Are BankCorp Vanilla MCs (fixed amount of $200, $6.48 fee, bought at Sam's) ok at the PO? TIA
Old Jan 12, 2017, 4:17 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Jaded

Originally Posted by acarney

Plus... metal card.... I'm a little ashamed to admit I want to use it all the time just to hand over a metal card and see the person on the other end get surprised.

I hate the metal cards because they're hard to cut up after one year in the drawer!

I wish I had this much enthusiasm. Hitting this game too hard has made me jaded and emotionless about all this.

Yep...I vaguely remember coming home with that first $500 VR, depositing it onto BB and immediately paying off the CC before the gremlins somehow caught on and snatched the money back.

I just burned about 6 grand in the last two months on a trip and holidays...

Wait I'm confused...you actually paid real money for a trip somewhere? I have read about that before but always assumed the writer was just making up the story.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:15 pm

Metabank Incomm OneVanilla MasterCard Gift Card (from Sam's Club) worked at PO with no shenanigans. Only used one, no splits.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by binnycode
Metabank Incomm OneVanilla MasterCard Gift Card (from Sam's Club) worked at PO with no shenanigans. Only used one, no splits.
Other metabanks failed there? Like staples or gcm or Gcc?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 6:56 pm

Do the MasterCard GCs purchased from Giftcards.com work at the PO?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:33 pm

any dp for vanilla mcgc bought at sams?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by darenhuang
any dp for vanilla mcgc bought at sams?
Vanilla MGC issued by Bancorp bought at Sam's worked at POs. I also picked up a OV MGC from Sam's but found out later that it was issued by Metabank. Haven't tried it at the PO b/c the wiki said Metabank GCs haven't been working at POs...but I see that someone had success a few posts up with a Metabank MGC.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA, AA, DA, UA, CO
Originally Posted by berkhawk
Vanilla MGC issued by Bancorp bought at Sam's worked at POs. I also picked up a OV MGC from Sam's but found out later that it was issued by Metabank. Haven't tried it at the PO b/c the wiki said Metabank GCs haven't been working at POs...but I see that someone had success a few posts up with a Metabank MGC.
That was me, yes Meta MC Vanilla from Sams worked for me at the PO.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:48 pm

Metabank = Incomm?

Will -4 Incomm Visa OVs work at PO?
I know the wiki says no, but that is for Metabank Visa? Is that the same as OV??

My OV GC says Incomm but not metabank.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by crazytravelguy
Metabank = Incomm?

Will -4 Incomm Visa OVs work at PO?
I know the wiki says no, but that is for Metabank Visa? Is that the same as OV??

My OV GC says Incomm but not metabank.
Does it say "Card Issued by the Bancorp Bank ........ serviced by InComm" on the back?

I just used one of these at PO today, zero issues, in and out in <5 minutes
Old Jan 13, 2017, 5:57 pm

So where does one go to buy bancorp v or mc gift cards online?

giftcardmall is meta
giftcards is meta

what other options are there?

cheers
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by nextlife
So where does one go to buy bancorp v or mc gift cards online?

giftcardmall is meta
giftcards is meta

what other options are there?

cheers

Our favorite drug store CVS
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:38 pm

So is this standard practice, or was I setting off internal alarms in the clerks mind? I went to buy a $425 One vanilla from Walgreens and she asked for my ID... did she input anything or was she just checking? Will the post office ask for ID for a $415 money order? The less personal details recorded the better...
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by acarney
So is this standard practice, or was I setting off internal alarms in the clerks mind? I went to buy a $425 One vanilla from Walgreens and she asked for my ID... did she input anything or was she just checking? Will the post office ask for ID for a $415 money order? The less personal details recorded the better...
WAG generally checks ID with CCs.

With debit, PO clerks shouldn't give much trouble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.