Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by beast7276
Buy over 3k at at time and the form is done electronically. Stop going multiple times/week. Just go once and have them fill out the electronic paperwork each time. You're not doing anything wrong and they know who you are and what you're doing already. Stop sneaking around.
I actually started going the other way, used to do well over 3k in one shot but when I only had one cashier and the line behind me was getting super long and mad I realized its better to break it up into smaller 2k ones. I still fill out the form everytime there are multiple cashiers and it won't be the biggest deal, but if there is one cashier then the line can build up very quickly on a large transaction with multiple cards.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
I've noticed this too! Over the last month I've "paid" the fee using real bank debits cards (Chase biz, personal, Cap360). None have hit the accounts, despite the receipt showing the authorization number.
I've been experiencing the same since mid-May on my WF debit. I'm wondering if this issue is localized to SAN area POs or if it's more widespread.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:13 pm

I would recommend paying the fee in cash until this glitch is sorted out.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:56 pm

Bancorp issued mastercard bought from Sam's club did not work at the post office today.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA gold
Originally Posted by lincoln boy
Bancorp issued mastercard bought from Sam's club did not work at the post office today.
The black cover one or birthday cake one? Or OV?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:33 pm

in which state? i'm in ny and it worked 2 days ago (not from sam's club though).
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by ezakipocky
The black cover one or birthday cake one? Or OV?
birthday case one. I've been buying MO with this multiple time and it never failed until now. I hope it's just an error.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: Several dozen
Also recommend that you leave sufficient funds in your account for when the charges are finally processed or you may get an unpleasant surprise.

Originally Posted by FrankMS
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Also recommend that you leave sufficient funds in your account for when the charges are finally processed or you may get an unpleasant surprise.
Definitely doing that!
Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:17 am

birthday case one. I've been buying MO with this multiple time and it never failed until now. I hope it's just an error.
Worked for me this morning
Old Jun 30, 2017, 3:09 pm

Worked for me this morning
Thanks for DP. It must be my gift card...
Old Jul 2, 2017, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I've noticed this too! Over the last month I've "paid" the fee using real bank debits cards (Chase biz, personal, Cap360). None have hit the accounts, despite the receipt showing the authorization number.

Must be a glitch. Guess I've have to use cash like at Walmart Hope the baddies don't come after me!
Originally Posted by BHArt
I've been experiencing the same since mid-May on my WF debit. I'm wondering if this issue is localized to SAN area POs or if it's more widespread.
So I may have found the solution: pay the fee first. When I paid with cash the clerk wanted to process that first, then the "debit" cards. She said that's technically how they're supposed to do it. So the next day I came in and used the Cap360 debit (that failed earlier) but asked them to do the fee first. Posted the same day.

Of course, it could be they've finally fixed their computers. No way to test since I'm done with Vanillas until next Q2 :P
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:44 am

Pet peeve: Pre-paid PIN-enabled Visa and MC-branded cards ARE debit cards, no need to air-quote them, or add to others' confusion/questions as to how transactions are approved and cleared.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:29 am

So I may have found the solution: pay the fee first. When I paid with cash the clerk wanted to process that first, then the "debit" cards. She said that's technically how they're supposed to do it. So the next day I came in and used the Cap360 debit (that failed earlier) but asked them to do the fee first. Posted the same day.

Of course, it could be they've finally fixed their computers. No way to test since I'm done with Vanillas until next Q2 :P
I just got back from the PO with fee last, can confirm that the computers aren't fixed. I know my clerks pretty well, I'll try fee first on Wed.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:57 pm

just pay it at the end with a cc. yeesh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.