Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by ElBurrito
Just tried some USB MC's today and they didn't work.
In the same transaction for a MO, I was able to use USB MCs with the picture of a present box in the middle with a gold background, but was NOT able to use the USB MCs with a picture of a straw bow with a grey background.

Luckily, I had a backup card or 2 to use for the $1,000 MO I was purchasing.

@ELBurritio - What was the picture on the USB MCs you were using?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:21 am

I've only been doing single swipes and never had any problems at all.Also found a grocery store but only done single swipes there too... I'm only doing $4k / month and that is split between WF bank and alliant cu .I'm nervous to ask or try a split transaction..but then wonder if it is better to deposit less money orders but at a higher amount.. fewer $998 deposits vrs 2x as many 498$ deposits I don't care if WF shuts me down...but would like to keep it open as long as possible...then again..2k per month is not alot for each bank account...I am concerned that trying split transactions could ruin the whole thing for me at the PO .
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by shipitkthx
Yeah I meant to say $2.40/$1000
I found a gift card, so when I charge a fee to it, it doesn't actually charge anything.
Old May 1, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by yugi
I found a gift card, so when I charge a fee to it, it doesn't actually charge anything.
I dont understand
Old May 1, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
I dont understand
Paid a fee with a GC, and it was not charged. Many times.
Old May 1, 2017, 4:20 pm

Tried OV Visa last week @ USPS. Worked as usual.
Old May 1, 2017, 4:29 pm

I also paid with 2 $500 OVs and $1.60 fee with FB for $1000 MO and for some reason USPS did not charge the fee on FB even though the transaction went through just fine.
Old May 1, 2017, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by CarlosRodrigue
Tried OV Visa last week @ USPS. Worked as usual.
Your DP is kinda useless as it is: We need specifics such as location.
Old May 1, 2017, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by cashcyclone
I also paid with 2 $500 OVs and $1.60 fee with FB for $1000 MO and for some reason USPS did not charge the fee on FB even though the transaction went through just fine.
Are you running the FB as debit or credit?
Old May 2, 2017, 10:21 am

Paid the $1.20 with VGC and not charged ? Wow
Old May 2, 2017, 10:22 am

Paid the $1.60 with VGC or some other GC and not charged ? Wow
Old May 2, 2017, 10:47 am

I did $1.20, $1.60, $3.20. Never charged. But I tried more than a fee, and was charged.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:13 am

Paid the $1.20 with VGC and not charged ? Wow
A bit confused. So you guys have been paying the fee with FB, but FB is MB, isnt it?

Havent used MB since it stop working in PO (for MO). But I guess it still works for fees and normal mailing stuff?
Old May 2, 2017, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
Havent used MB since it stop working in PO (for MO). But I guess it still works for fees and normal mailing stuff?
For the fee, even a credit card works (but to simplify things I don't usually pay the fee separately). But if they have some kind of glitch that doesn't charge the fee, I don't think I would take advantage of that... seems a little too much like fraud to me; especially when the situation at the PO is already kinda fragile.
Old May 2, 2017, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by sbft77
For the fee, even a credit card works (but to simplify things I don't usually pay the fee separately). But if they have some kind of glitch that doesn't charge the fee, I don't think I would take advantage of that... seems a little too much like fraud to me; especially when the situation at the PO is already kinda fragile.
^

Yeah I know CC work. Just didnt know MB still work. My relationship with PO is too good for me to do this, and I like all the people there. I believe in karma too and dont feel good taking 'free' stuff that dont belong to me, though, I admit I am still cheeky enough to take advantage of loopholes

Last edited by gnomey; May 2, 2017 at 8:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.